What is the purpose of a Yellow book?

I drove 200km to immigration and paid the 500 baht for the residency letter etc. Then drove 20 km to see the Amphur head who wasn't in the office wen he said he was. Went back the next day and he told me I had to bring back my moo ban head and 2 residents to Co sign me (in person). Do they just pi $$ u around like this for their own amusement or?

I'm wondering now what or why I need the damn yellow book. Will it benefit me in anyway down the track?

The yllow book is proof of address and can be used as such.

If you plan on applying for Thai naitonality, it is a requirement that you are on a yellow book.

The witness requirement is a normal one. I had mine smooth as silk, even delivered to my home as the person that has to sign it was out of the office.

Well I have a drivers license so that covers ID I guess. Thai nationality? Like permanent residency? What are the conditions or time required in the Kingdom to apply for that? I'm guessing you would need to be registered married to a thai national?

I have it since about 2 years, but until now haven't seen the active benefit. I used it in my visa extension.

Possible it would help if you get in trouble with your wife, or to register a vehicle, I'm still anticipating on applying Thai citizenship, so hope it's good for that.

I got my one before 2 weeks,

we passed a month before, to get the list of documents needed,

at 11 am we brought the documents, at 3.30 pm I had the book in the hands,

we went to the next counter, for register legal fatherhood over my 2 childrens ( 9 and 4)

that was done in 1 hr !!

That never would have worked out in 1 hr without the yellow book ;

By the side I were just on a tourist visa te get it !!

But Wife and kids were with me,

no wittneses were needed

( BKK - Chatuchak )

Thanks to the efiiciency of the officers !!

But a lot of copies !!

and please: sort them always in the correct order !!

correct order ?? who knows, the officer restapled them several times,

like it was the precedure, done on several visits with every time new docs added;

I think the Yellow book is worth the effort.

II applied and the guy told me it takes a long time to get one. I said fine, I live here come see me any time.

He did he came early in the morning and lunch times and late evening like I think to check I was there. I was as it happened and ech time he checked my passport and as time went on it had extensions and so on. He interviewed my wife parents. I offered him more documents from time to time and he was happy doing the job and wanted no bribe or tea money. Finally after about 8 months I got the book. He still wouldn't take any tea money. He brought his family with him on the last time to hand over the book.

We had a meal of basic Thai food and everything was cool. He said that so many Farangs wanted the book the same day they applied but I was the only one who said take your time...haha. Anyhow now I have used that yellow book for all my extensions at immigration, to show the cops from time to time, to renew my Thai drivers licence, to open bank accounts and so on.

I wouldn't be without it.

Its an official Government Thai document that proves where you live.

I love it.

All replies to this post prove again it's a lottery depending on where you live. You take 8 months without statements of neighbors, we had, but needed to pay another 1000 Baht to have it in the same day. At immigrations or driving license or bank accounts I've never been asked for it.

I agree it's good to have, for you never know, but we still live in a funny farm as it's nowhere the same ;-)

The Yellow book saves you 500 baht when you get a Thai drivers license, purchase a motorbike or a vehicle. If not then you must go to immigration to get a form document which cost 500. So it saves time and money. Additionally, it shows proof of your address in Thailand. The Thai drivers license doesn't provide for proof of address. It's not reflected on the license.

Got mine done today. Stopped by the district office at 1130am (Prawet, BKK) and gave them a copy of my passport, 4 pictures, the blue book from the house, marriage certificate (also registered at Prawet), completed a two-page form and answered several questions. Was told to return at 1pm. After returning, was asked a few more questions and then was interviewed by the district chief. 30 minutes later was handed the yellow book and when my wife asked what the charge was, she was told "no charge, have a nice day". Seemed to be a pretty painless and quite pleasant experience. Perhaps Prawet district is easier to deal with than others.

• Like 2

"The Thai drivers license doesn't provide for proof of address. It's not reflected on the license."

Address on the back ever since they switched to plastic about 7 years ago.

I just checked and I absolutely stand corrected. You are right! Thanks for pointing that out.

I think the Yellow book is worth the effort.

II applied and the guy told me it takes a long time to get one. I said fine, I live here come see me any time.

He did he came early in the morning and lunch times and late evening like I think to check I was there. I was as it happened and ech time he checked my passport and as time went on it had extensions and so on. He interviewed my wife parents. I offered him more documents from time to time and he was happy doing the job and wanted no bribe or tea money. Finally after about 8 months I got the book. He still wouldn't take any tea money. He brought his family with him on the last time to hand over the book.

We had a meal of basic Thai food and everything was cool. He said that so many Farangs wanted the book the same day they applied but I was the only one who said take your time...haha. Anyhow now I have used that yellow book for all my extensions at immigration, to show the cops from time to time, to renew my Thai drivers licence, to open bank accounts and so on.

I wouldn't be without it.

Its an official Government Thai document that proves where you live.

I love it.

I wonder why it took so long for you to get it? I moved to Songkhla from Nakon Sri Thamarat in November 2010. I asked my lessor if she could arrange a Yellow book for me. She did and I had it by the end of December. I paid nothing nor even attended the Amphur. Maybe my experience is an exception.

• Like 1

The housemaster must give permisison to add you on the house book. The procedure depends on the amphur in question, best to ask them at forehand what they want.

But first get permission fromthe landlord. Without her approval you can forget it.

I've given up on mine. Tried again today because the Amphur head said he had time today. Turned out he didn't. He is also requesting our moo ban head and another official neighbour (teacher, doctor etc) attend. It has to happen when he has time and the 2 busy local people can take at least 2 hours off and drive the 30kms to the Amphur. All at the same time...He says we all need to sit around and discuss my situation? He's already provided me 2 residency letters and in his annoyance last time he actually suggested I get the yellow book so I wouldn't have to keep taking 10 precious minutes of his time (+ tea money) to get a resident letter. I'm learning to be a lot more tolerant. You'd go crazy here if you didnt

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 1

"The Thai drivers license doesn't provide for proof of address. It's not reflected on the license."

Address on the back ever since they switched to plastic about 7 years ago.

This is true, but when I changed address I went along the driving license office and asked if I had to get a new license with the correct address on it, they said no wait while you re new the license , go figure.

I've given up on mine. Tried again today because the Amphur head said he had time today. Turned out he didn't. He is also requesting our moo ban head and another official neighbour (teacher, doctor etc) attend. It has to happen when he has time and the 2 busy local people can take at least 2 hours off and drive the 30kms to the Amphur. All at the same time...He says we all need to sit around and discuss my situation? He's already provided me 2 residency letters and in his annoyance last time he actually suggested I get the yellow book so I wouldn't have to keep taking 10 precious minutes of his time (+ tea money) to get a resident letter. I'm learning to be a lot more tolerant. You'd go crazy here if you didnt

Where do you live ?

Where do you live ?
Nongbuarawe Amphur...about 30kms from Chaiyaphum

one problem is alot of the small ampurs dont know how to do it, and cant admit that they dont know. I did mine 4 years ago in my local amphur office in the middle of no where. The official took my phone number and said come back tomorrow, within ten minutes he phoned and said come back its ready for you. He had quite oviously telephoned someone who knew how to do it, so i was lucky. the 2 benefits i have experienced are, i can use it as an ID card(usually) also i was in hospital some time ago, my first nights stay was expensive and my wife drove home and got my yellow book, the second night was alot cheaper. I also only had to show the blue house book, did nt require anyone from the village, and the cost was 500bht which i believe is the correct rate. But all ampurs as we know already are very different.. Im afraid you may need to make a cash offer.

Edited by bendare

• 4 months later...

What's the procedure when you already have a YellowBook and then you move condo. Do you go back to the same office, and they update the same book, or do they issue a new book for the new condo ?

You have to get a new yellow book.