Thailand urged to better understand history at Chulalongkorn

webfact

With so many clueless, narcissistic youths of today, I wonder what the society of tomorrow will look like.

It will look EXACTLY the same.. Mostly because the older generation was exactly the same,,, and has always been like that....

Glegolo...

How does one expect Thais to learn world history when the current long-standing laws on the books prevent Thais from being taught their own history? As one respected journalist recently inferred in an interview, "being Thai" has become part of a religious cult that has nothing to do with Buddhism, and thus speaking the truth about their history could be seen as a sort of blasphemy. It amazes me that out of this medieval academic mindset Thailand produced the world class history academic Thongchai Winichakul.

• 1 year later...

I spent 3 years with a lady in Thailand and found it quite fascinating and disapointing that a 40 yo had never heard of WW2, Vietnam war, The Beatles or the Stones or many of the other events that define the recent history of the world.

I showed her where I lived in Australia on Google Earth her disinterest saddened me.