Thai woman pretends to be American to get out of ticket

webfact

Thai woman pretends to be American to get out of ticket
By Coconuts Bangkok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSN7gH42gaY

BANGKOK: -- Millions have tuned in to watch a video of a less-than-cunning linguist’s bid to get out of a traffic ticket by pretending to be an American.

In the footage picked up by several news channels, the woman is filmed from the passenger seat speaking to the officer in bad-but-fluent Thai with what sounds like an affected Western accent.

"What did I do wrong?" she says in poor Thai.

To her total surprise, the officer scores 10 points by explaining in English that she couldn’t park there.

Her attempt to reply in the same language doesn’t go very well, and sounds suspiciously like English with a distinctively Thai accent. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/02/03/thai-woman-pretends-be-american-get-out-ticket

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-02-04

Asians have been doing this for years in the States, Why not give it a try here, I've taught my GF how to speak English, She goes into McDonalds and orders in English Now, they just look her up and down in Disbelief, she's pretty happy with herself after...

• Like 2

Since when has being an American help someone escape a ticket in Thailand?! I thought that Americans are not very popular with Thai officials these days.

Isn't the Thai norm to

a) pretend to be related to a high-ranking official, or

b ) slip him a hundred Baht?

Actually, it's nice to see a cop who has made an effort to learn English. He doesn't do a bad job either. Good for him!

Yes indeed, a man on his way to higher ranks, thanks to his competency in English. Oh, I forgot, there's also the matter of buying his way up too. I expect the Chief of Police speaks English very well also.

Hmm, in several aspects that video doesn't really match the coconuts version of the story.

Almost as if they are creating a non story out of a non event.

And would that be all that unusual?

• Like 1

Asians have been doing this for years in the States, Why not give it a try here, I've taught my GF how to speak English, She goes into McDonalds and orders in English Now, they just look her up and down in Disbelief, she's pretty happy with herself after...

There are Asian people living in America? SPEAKING ENGLISH.....Amazing Feat....

Ahem....Dufus.

I have an American friend who works with deaf and/or mute people and hand signs in several different sign languages. Whenever he's puled over by a cop for speeding ... which he does a lot ... he starts speaking in very slurred, barley-understandable gibberish while signing by hand. He says all but one cop has let him go without a citation because they don't know how to handle the situation.

Since when has being an American help someone escape a ticket in Thailand?! I thought that Americans are not very popular with Thai officials these days.

Isn't the Thai norm to

a) pretend to be related to a high-ranking official, or

b ) slip him a hundred Baht?

Before you laugh. Police does daily checks outside my work.

Yesterday they pulled over a bike, 2 females and 1 male, all without a helmet and mind you 3 people on 1 bike.

One of the females starts screaming her brother is army officer, police tell her to bring him.

Sure enough 30 mins later, 3 army arrive and street turns into a shouting match.

The " sister " remained at the scene while is issuing officer and 3 army guys went to police station.

Do not know the outcome , but goes to show pulling the rank is not always a bluff even when they in the wrong

. Asians pretending to not know English, Dufuss

There are Asian people living in America? SPEAKING ENGLISH.....Amazing Feat....

Ahem....Dufus.