Thai Expat TV - Can you set it up by yourself?

bkkgooner

I have had a quick fool around with XBMC and while it is cool to stream stuff I find the whole interface really clunky and I have no idea how to set it up to provide content on demand. I like to pick when I want to watch sport and rarely watch it live due to time differences so I was considering subscribing to Thai Expat TV for the six nations rugby as they have a 7 day on demand system. However they are looking for 5,499 for the box only or 7,000 with 3 months subscription.The same box is on lazada for 3,200 baht - so can I just buy the box, subscribe to Thai Expat and then install the software myself onto the box?

If people are using the service here how do you find it? Honestly I think 600 baht a month is pretty expensive for free to air channels but really I am paying for the fact that it has 7 days on demand.

OR am I wasting my money? Is there a way for me to just buy the box on lazada and setup the exact same system myself with the same functionality as on demand or with some sort of program recording system in place?

Thanks in advance for any help

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I set it up myself on my own android box that I'd already bought for iLikeHD.

I got the APK file from a link on this forum, possibly here: LInk

I used the username and password for the web player and it works fine.

I used thre free trial, then I chanced my arm and got another special offer of 3 months for 1000 baht.

There are plenty of options for "live" streams of the UK channels, but expat TV is by far the most stable and reliable in my experience.

The big plus is, as you said, the on-demand catchup service. Whether that is worth the 600 baht a month, I'm still in two minds but I have a while to decide.

Give it a go and see what you think.

Edited by JamieP

Dead easy.

www.thaiexpat.tv

they have a video showing how to set up your TV to watch this via your wi-fi

As the TV supplied with my condo is not worth switching on,. I use my computer, 21" screen, and watch everything direct from my wi fi. About 12 channels or more, and you can go back 10 days if you've missed a program.

My wi-fi is 3BB 10Mb and has no problems at all.

Thai Expat TV and its sister company 365 Sport are absolutely brilliant and not at all expensive for what you get. I have had both for nearly 1 year now, watching on my PC as well as on TV via the android box. I cannot praise the products and the customer service highly enough.

I recently bought the M8 Multi Media Box from Jsat , THB 7,500 all set up for plug and play, no computer required and no further fees.

Great service.

http://www.jsat.tv

Can you watch US channels such as CNN (US version) in real time?

MaigeTV has all the big US networks live, in realtime, in 720P HD... It's a little weird in this timezone though (GMA at night, Letterman in the day etc) :P

I recently bought the M8 Multi Media Box from Jsat , THB 7,500 all set up for plug and play, no computer required and no further fees.

Great service.

http://www.jsat.tv

Can you let me know if the box is working well? Do all the channels work? And what speed internet do you have?

I would love to buy one from Jsat but would like to get some feedback first if you have time please?

Does expat.tv cover the BBC channels too as they do not appear on the website list of supplied channels, this would be a deal breaker for me

Looks like they have had trouble with the BBC as all the channels are missing. I'm sure they used to have BBC channels - perhaps someone can confirm. I also would not be interested without BBC.

I have Maige TV and like it.

+1. The MaigeTV is the best overall box of it's type - 100's of live streaming channels with 7-day replay, and almost Netflix like VOD with thousands of movies and TV shows - and it just works.

However, it doesn't carry very much British content aside from the odd movie and the latest Top gear episodes - so perhaps not "the cup of tea" for people reading this thread, and all content titles + sub titles are in Chinese - but you soon get over that.

If your flavor is American, Chinese, Japanese or Korean, it's the box to beat. period.

Does expat.tv cover the BBC channels too as they do not appear on the website list of supplied channels, this would be a deal breaker for me

Looks like they have had trouble with the BBC as all the channels are missing. I'm sure they used to have BBC channels - perhaps someone can confirm. I also would not be interested without BBC.

If you don't pay royalties you get issues with BBC, and actually every broadcaster at some point.

All the BBC channels are available - just watching Silent Witness - looking forward to Wolf Hall tomorrow.

It's a brilliant service.

All the BBC channels are available - just watching Silent Witness - looking forward to Wolf Hall tomorrow.

Concur absolutely. I have been watching for two years now. Great service with no problems. I am watching on my PC and iPad, no need for a box....suits me. Also looking forward to Wolf Hall tomorrow having enjoyed Waterloo Road yesterday. BBC News and World News keep me up to date. Worth every satang.

I wouldn't normally help a gooner but I'm having a good day biggrin.png anyway you don't have to buy a box, you can just use Windows on your desktop or if you have a spare Laptop or netbook you can connect that to your TV.

Yes. I like to download current and old movies and TV and using a sub device, play it on a 55" TV via an ASUS Media player. Fave BitTorrent sites: use.com and torrentbutler.eu

I wouldn't normally help a gooner but I'm having a good day biggrin.png anyway you don't have to buy a box, you can just use Windows on your desktop or if you have a spare Laptop or netbook you can connect that to your TV.

Yes. I like to download current and old movies and TV and using a sub device, play it on a 55" TV via an ASUS Media player. Fave BitTorrent sites: use.com and torrentbutler.eu

I meant usb device, not "sub."

I meant usb device, not "sub."
...and vuze.com, not "use." Dampened autocorrect. Sorry.

ThaiexpatTV has BBC 1,2,3,4, and World News. also two kids programs. one bubs, 1 teens, ITV 1,2,3,4, films (9 per day) CNN, Australia+, NHK. and a couple of others I can't remember.

Using 3BB on a 10Mb wi-fi service, it runs faultlessly.

Try the FREE 2 day trial.

If I ever get a decent TV here, I'll buy the expat TV box and reduce the load on my computer.

People still watch TV ? It's called the ancestor of Internet...

I am purchasing the box for sport on demand and while it is possible to get torrents for premier league football through rojadirecta, I haven't found a similar service for rugby games

My son still watches cartoon network and the like, personally I would just download TV shows off torrent sites

Edited by bkkgooner

Concur absolutely. I have been watching for two years now. Great service with no problems. I am watching on my PC and iPad, no need for a box....suits me. Also looking forward to Wolf Hall tomorrow having enjoyed Waterloo Road yesterday. BBC News and World News keep me up to date. Worth every satang.

jumping on the bandwagon... have used expat tv for 2 years. it's stable and good value for money. catch up is great, i usually download programes and play on my tv via usb stick, sometimes i connect pc to tv with HDMI cable. works great on my android tablet too.

customer service prompt and very helpful.

am enjoying wolf hall despite some negative reviews back home and looking forward to the 6 nations!

Dont use a laptop or computer. Get yourself a dedicated Android box with is really a very small computer with Android operating system specifically designed for media. Top of the line boxes in BKK can be had for less that 6000 baht. Cheaper boxes can be had for 2000-2500 baht.

http://androidpcreview.com/best-smart-tv-box-2014/1180/

Once you get it, download and install this software

http://www.tvaddons.ag/install-kodi-android/

All of your favorite applications can be installed and favorite media displayed in HD on the higher end boxes.

Im a windows guy and it was troublesome at first working through the new operating system and Kodi. However, with a little time and patience Im getting it figured out.

There are thousands of apps you can install and it is a bit overwhelming trying sort through them all. The Kodi and tvaddons make that process simple. Try it, you will be surprised.