Thai Expat TV - Can you set it up by yourself?

bkkgooner

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a recently (Sept 14) updated list of the English channels available on MaigeTV: http://garfferen.com/misc/maige.html

There is a few more he's missed though (KIX HD, HITS HD, DIVA HD etc).

On top of this, there's 2000+ English HD movies on-demand (fresh content daily, with old content rolling off), and around 860 English TV series (each with multiple episodes).

Still the box to beat ;)

Here's a recently (Sept 14) updated list of the English channels available on MaigeTV: http://garfferen.com/misc/maige.html

On top of this, there's 2000+ English HD movies on-demand (fresh content daily, with old content rolling off), and around 860 English TV series (each with multiple episodes).

Still the box to beat ;)

Not the box to beat. This is one of the expensive sites I was mentioning in another thread. This service wants you to run their specific box with only their specific software. With kodi/tvaddons, a box of your choice and the applicable add on, you can watch all these and more FREE.

Still the box to beat wink.png

Not the box to beat. This is one of the expensive sites I was mentioning in another thread. This service wants you to run their specific box with only their specific software. With kodi/tvaddons, a box of your choice and the applicable add on, you can watch all these and more FREE.

Yeah, when you finally find a stream that works... And twice as hard if you want to watch in HD. LOL

Been there, done that, wasn't worth the frustration for me. $80/year for no buffering, everything works, everything is HD and hassle-free seems like not a bad deal to me ;)

Yeah, when you finally find a stream that works... And twice as hard if you want to watch in HD. LOL

Been there, done that, wasn't worth the frustration for me. $80/year for no buffering, everything works, everything is HD and hassle-free seems like not a bad deal to me ;)

Not saying you made a bad choice. Just saying there are many options out there now. My box has HD and streaming fine. Why limit yourself to one provider and proprietary system when you can have a box of many flavors.

Another thing people forget is that with IPTV, you have access anywhere in the world on any device as long as you have correct playback software installed on your device.

All said, all these IPTV options are better than paying truevisions 3000 baht a month for a package of channels 1/2 you never watch.

Been there, done that, wasn't worth the frustration for me. $80/year for no buffering, everything works, everything is HD and hassle-free seems like not a bad deal to me wink.png

Not saying you made a bad choice. Just saying there are many options out there now. My box has HD and streaming fine. Why limit yourself to one provider and proprietary system when you can have a box of many flavors.

Another thing people forget is that with IPTV, you have access anywhere in the world on any device as long as you have correct playback software installed on your device.

All said, all these IPTV options are better than paying truevisions 3000 baht a month for a package of channels 1/2 you never watch.

I don't think I limit myself - I have an Android box + RaspberryPi running xbmc, 4 old WDTV's, and an old laptop with Netflix subscription over Hola. We also have 5 Truevisions STB's around the house. The MaigeTV easily gets 90% of our adult viewing time though. My wife can't stand using XBMC (she totally gives up after the first 2-3 failed attempts to get something to actually play), the WDTV's are all streaming 3+ year old content from the NAS, so don't see much action anymore, and my kids mainly watch Netflix and Truevisions.

It's not about cost for me, it's about content, quality, and (lack of) frustration ;)

Edited by IMHO

Pity about the lack of sport on maige they have some nice English language channels on that list

That list I linked to is far from complete - it's got FOX Sports 1/2/3 (all in HD, unlike Truevisions), all Astro's, All ESPN's and several more... I'll have a scan for you tonight and post back :)

The one thing I do have to say is that it's lagged by about 1 minute on live feeds though - so if you watch sports that have companion tablet apps (like F1 live timing) it can be frustrating being so far out of sync with the action - I still use Truevisions to watch F1 for this reason.

On the plus side, no DVR is needed for those late night matches/races - it keeps 7 days of history for all live channels, so you can go back and watch whenever you want (just hit the remote right-arrow button after selecting a channel).

ah Ok I didn't realise that Maige has VOD - that is exactly what I am looking for

I had a 25 minute fool around wih Thai Expat last night and came to the realization very quickly that there is really very little of interest for me to watch other than the Six Nations for a month and a half a year

I also went back into XBMC last week and my god it is so clunky and unresponsive when looking for tv shows and things like that

ah Ok I didn't realise that Maige has VOD - that is exactly what I am looking for

I had a 25 minute fool around wih Thai Expat last night and came to the realization very quickly that there is really very little of interest for me to watch other than the Six Nations for a month and a half a year

I also went back into XBMC last week and my god it is so clunky and unresponsive when looking for tv shows and things like that

Do you have tvaddons

To be honest 2fishin2 there is just random stuff everywhere and I find it hard to navigate, I think a better idea would be to reinstall it following a guide and try to make the whole thing a bit cleaner and easier to navigate

i was really impressed with the quality of streams I was getting from RTE and I am sure that if configured properly it could be great but I just find im going into a lot of sub menus to find things and a lot of stuff just seems hidden behind about 10 links

I'll have another go at the weekend

Go to the tvaddons site and install it. I was having trouble with basic kodi and installing addons etc. now that i installed tvaddons, im rocking.

Also, do a you tube search installing iptv. There are many videos to help you find content. Stick with it.

Very cheap IPTV has many of the truevision gold channels at only 300 baht a month vs almost 3000 a month.

http://fwiptv.net

Their web site says 300THB for 26 days. I haven't tried the pay version of FWIPTV as one needs to go out and buy some True Money credit.

Just out of interest what is your opinion of fwiptv vs following other two Thai based options:

1. iLikeHD which is 350THB / calender month and can be paid with Paypal. Has hundreds of channels?

2. uPlayHD Kodi addon which is completely free, works 70% of the time and picture quality as good as iLikeHD except for some live sports.

Very cheap IPTV has many of the truevision gold channels at only 300 baht a month vs almost 3000 a month.

http://fwiptv.net

Their web site says 300THB for 26 days. I haven't tried the pay version of FWIPTV as one needs to go out and buy some True Money credit.

Just out of interest what is your opinion of fwiptv vs following other two Thai based options:

1. iLikeHD which is 350THB / calender month and can be paid with Paypal. Has hundreds of channels?

2. uPlayHD Kodi addon which is completely free, works 70% of the time and picture quality as good as iLikeHD except for some live sports.

Havent checked them out but, thanks for the tip! I will try them out today. I got a deal when I got my Minix, 2 months free.

Ill check back in later after I look at them.

I too have ThaiEpat TV and Sport365 and do not use a box, just internet connection to both my Desktop and laptop..

After having True Vision Gold Package for a couple of years then changing to these programs I can agree that it is without doubt value for money. I wouldn't want to be without it now.

I first had UKTV-Asia before it was taken over by ThaiEpat. Luckily I am still able to use the same program as the features on UKTV-Asia are far superior and easier to use plus have other features ThaiExpat does not have. While watching one program I can record as many programs as I want at the same time to either watch later or save as MP4 to my hard drive and then if I want can transfer to CD or Memory stick. Handy if I go away and there is no internet connection or insufficient bandwidth as happens in most hotels/resorts I also like the layout of the daily TV programs where all are displayed on one page rather than have to flick through all the channels. Not sure if this setup is available to new users or only those who previously used UKTV-Asia. If you are thinking of subscibing to Thai Expat I would suggest you ask about this.

There might be advantages of getting a box but persononaly find no need for one.

Just another point worth mentioning, For some time I had a big problem connecting to 365Sport, the technicians were baffled as ThaiExpat worked fine. They even took over my computer remotely but could not find the problem but suggested it was a poor internet connection as 365Sport requires more bandwidth. So I got hold of TOT as I had been experiencing problems with slow speed and regularly no connection at all. Eventually I got this sorted with the wire from the tower to my house replaced and then had good constant speed but still had problems with 365Sport.

I was using Windows XP which as most of you already know is no longer serviced by Microsoft. I decided that it would be a good time to update my computer and had Windows 7 installed. Bingo, problem solved. Now everything runs very well.

Edited by Pormax

Pormax go out and purchase a media box and the difference will be startling. Use your computers for what they were meant for computing. These new media boxes rock! Quad core processors, bare bones HD4 all for less than 6000 baht. I used my laptop for years....these android boxes much fast and better quality.

Edited by 2fishin2

• 2 weeks later...

Pormax go out and purchase a media box and the difference will be startling. Use your computers for what they were meant for computing. These new media boxes rock! Quad core processors, bare bones HD4 all for less than 6000 baht. I used my laptop for years....these android boxes much fast and better quality.

How so? I get 1080p and it can only be as fast as the program your watching :-D

I also agree about the previous software being easier to use!

• 7 months later...

That site is a TOTAL ripoff!!! You can get pretty much EXACTLY the same channels and more here:

http://www.filmon.com/

That channel has BBC 1, BBC 2.....,ITV.....loads of movie channels and its FREE! I use it all the time and it works well. You can pay 600 Baht per month if you want!!!???

....by the way ALL the rugby world cup games are being shown on ITV..

Edited by Yooyung

That site is a TOTAL ripoff!!! You can get pretty much EXACTLY the same channels and more here:

http://www.filmon.com/

That channel has BBC 1, BBC 2.....,ITV.....loads of movie channels and its FREE! I use it all the time and it works well. You can pay 600 Baht per month if you want!!!???

....by the way ALL the rugby world cup games are being shown on ITV..

Do you get 7 day look back or is Filmon real time?

If real time a bit bloody useless!

Its real time....and no, that doesnt make it 'bloody useless' its makes it 'bloody free' and offers exactly the same as Excrap TV. The fact that its realtime doesnt bother me at all. I watch BBC news live on it...the rugby will be live on it.......I could even stay up till 1:00 am Thai time to watch Coronation Street if I wanted....but I choose not to. There....I just saved myself 600 Baht again this month.....

Edited by Yooyung

Its real time....and no, that doesnt make it 'bloody useless' its makes it 'bloody free' and offers exactly the same as Excrap TV. The fact that its realtime doesnt bother me at all. I watch BBC news live on it...the rugby will be live on it.......I could even stay up till 1:00 am Thai time to watch Coronation Street if I wanted....but I choose not to. There....I just saved myself 600 Baht again this month.....

You're an idiot if you think saving 600b a month is worth NOT having the convenience of watching what you want when you want!

Cheapskate!

I recently bought the M8 Multi Media Box from Jsat , THB 7,500 all set up for plug and play, no computer required and no further fees.

Great service.

http://www.jsat.tv

Can you watch US channels such as CNN (US version) in real time?

The main reason for me switching to Thai Expat TV is that it does NOT have programs from the USA!