Protecting Thai Buddhism from twisted teachings

webfact

would he not have had compassion for animals?

I think he did. Its just that he was pragmatic and not really in the Thou shalt not business.

If he were to tell his followers what they could and could not eat what would have been the affect of that? The farmers would have to open their gates and set their livestock free, some would lack the skills to live in the wild, some fall prey to predators, most would probably be rounded up by non-Buddhist farmers, so nothing would have been gained.

Instead we have killing discouraged in the 5 precepts, basing ones livelihood on selling meat discouraged in the eightfold path, killing specifically for feeding monks discouraged. People then have the opportunity to look how they live their lives and where they can make adjustments.

I agree with Vince that compassion is about how we treat animals when they are alive not about what we eat, looking at the affect we have on the world around us rather than upsetting the foodchain and the ecological balance.

• Like 2

Never seen a vegetarian Wat, can you name a few?

I believe all Ajahn Chah related temples are vegetarian. The most famous of course is Wat Pah Nana Chat up near Udon Thani.. There is one I stayed at near Pak Chong, don't remember the name. All the civilian laity know they are vegetarian and only offer that type of food on alms rounds. veggies and fruits. There is also a American monk, who was a student of Ajahn Chah, who lives near Pak Chong, in a one man temple, been a monk going on 50 years, the last time I saw him, he was eating only rice and fruit. Ajahn Sumano. Look him up on google. wai.gif

not necessarily. One of the branches in n. Ratchasima eats whatever is offered, and there has never been a day I've seen just vegetarian food. Also at the main branch in ubon this has been the case as well.

The times I've witnessed monks eating just vegetarian food has been rare. I'm sure those types of temples exist though.

• Like 1

I believe all Ajahn Chah related temples are vegetarian. The most famous of course is Wat Pah Nana Chat up near Udon Thani.. There is one I stayed at near Pak Chong, don't remember the name. All the civilian laity know they are vegetarian and only offer that type of food on alms rounds. veggies and fruits. There is also a American monk, who was a student of Ajahn Chah, who lives near Pak Chong, in a one man temple, been a monk going on 50 years, the last time I saw him, he was eating only rice and fruit. Ajahn Sumano. Look him up on google. wai.gif

not necessarily. One of the branches in n. Ratchasima eats whatever is offered, and there has never been a day I've seen just vegetarian food. Also at the main branch in ubon this has been the case as well.

The times I've witnessed monks eating just vegetarian food has been rare. I'm sure those types of temples exist though.

At Wat Suan Mokkh I've never seen meat eaten, but this is at their International Retreats.

• Like 1

I stayed at a Ajahn Chah country temple located between Pak Chong and Nakhon Ratchisima for a month in 2006. Meat was never offered the monks on alms rounds and was never eaten by the monks there. I stayed for two weeks in 2007 at a temple called Wat Luang phor Sodh Dhammakaya in Ratchburi.. total vegetarian. I spent a week in Wat Pah Nana Chat in 2011, total vegetarian. coffee1.gif

At Wat Suan Mokkh I've never seen meat eaten, but this is at their International Retreats.

I spent a week in Wat Pah Nana Chat in 2011, total vegetarian. coffee1.gif

Things have changed. I spent a few months there in the late 90's, there was a lot of meat on the menu though the vegetarian dishes were distributed first to make it easier for the monks who chose to be vegetarian.

I feel truly sorry for the 66 million vegetables.

• Like 1