UK urges Indonesia to spare life of drug smuggler Lindsay Sandiford

webfact

UK urges Indonesia to spare life of drug smuggler
Hans Nicholas Jong, Ina Parlina and Ni Komang Erviani
The Jakarta Post

JAKARTA: -- Just three days after a British newspaper revealed the suspension of a diplomat for allegedly having an affair with a drug convict in Bali, UK Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond came to Jakarta on a mission to save the life of British drug trafficker Lindsay Sandiford, who is on death row.

During his visit, Hammond met Indonesian officials including vice president Jusuf Kalla and foreign minister Retno LP Marsudi. Apart from bilateral economic issues, the British foreign secretary raised his government’s opposition to the use of the death penalty against Sandiford.

“We share the fight against international crime, including drug trafficking. But I have made it clear that the UK opposes the use of the death penalty,” he told reporters after the meeting with Retno at the foreign ministry.

Hammond said his government would provide support for Sandiford, who was sentenced to death for smuggling 4.8 kilograms of cocaine into Bali.

However, Hammond admitted that the UK government could only help Sandiford to a certain extent. “There are specific limits to how we operate and what kind of support we can offer,” he explained.

Minister Retno, for her part, said that Indonesia was consistent on its position on the death penalty. “Our position is consistent, every time there are countries who express their concerns, we explain our position.”

Meanwhile, president Joko “Jokowi” Widodo reiterated his call to jointly fight drug abuse on Wednesday during a national coordination meeting held by the National Narcotics Agency (BNN), which was also attended by governors, regents and mayors from across the country.

Full story: http://www.asianewsnet.net/news-71405.html

ann.jpg
-- ANN 2015-02-05

As sad as her story maybe, and that other people involved in it haven't been given death sentences, she knew the risks very well. These countries are quite clear about there way of dealing with drug smuggling, so if you play the game, then you got to also accept the costs of getting caught.

I very much doubt she will avoid the firing squad, Indonesia is clearly sending out a warning to those that might be thinking of smuggling.

• Like 2

I personally think execution for any crime other than direct murder is highly inappropriate punishment. That being said, she likely knew what the penal risks were when she did it...I, like a lot of others expressing their opinions on here do have sympathy for her. That doesn't have to translation into condonation or whatever else.

• Like 2

I bet Indonesia wouldn't top a Saudi prince.

does a Saudi prince need to smuggle drugs? I wonder how many Indonesians have been beheaded in Saudi for crimes? I doubt they would have a problem with putting anyone in front of a firing squad if found guilty.

The only reason for the death penalty is to deter others...

But it does not work, case in point she knew the risk and still did it...

But then any political fallout is likely to hurt Indonesia harder, must have taken a lot of diplomatic pressure from Indonesia to get the FO to drop their travel warning regarding flying in Indonesia, any excuse will almost certainly see it re-imposed even harder.

Every one knows the consequence of trafficking drugs in and from Indonesia, i bet she was aware of it too, still took a chance, easy money bet, and she lost. Besides all these drug dealer kills so many lives and destroys people lives with the drug addiction, there should not be any Merci for these type of people in my opinion.

• Like 2

I guess I don't have a problem with the death penalty for the drug crime,they (the British lady and two aussies ) it's just the firing squad method I disagree with..correct me if I'm wrong please but didn't Thailand do away with this method because it sometimes went wrong?

The only thing sick in this issue is the use of a firing squad, what a waste of ammunition. The Chinese know best how to execute, tie a thin board around the neck, shoot through the board with a pistol in the back of the head, dead guaranteed with one bullet. The board protects the executioner from brain splatter, the criminal suffers no pain.

I personally think execution for any crime other than direct murder is highly inappropriate punishment. That being said, she likely knew what the penal risks were when she did it...I, like a lot of others expressing their opinions on here do have sympathy for her. That doesn't have to translation into condonation or whatever else.

Drug dealers/Couriers can be likened to murderers as they supply products that kill people.

• Like 1

Drug dealers/Couriers can be likened to murderers as they supply products that kill people.

Agreed, so do governments and numerous industries also, but that is another subject.

The death penalty can be opposed on the grounds that so many people who suffer it are found innocent post-mortem

Beyond that, there is the question of its efficacy as a deterrent.