Robbed In Sukhumvit

chandraM

Never wear a gold chain or any valuables that is visible, simple as that. It happens all the time, both in Bangkok and Pattaya.

And in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and dozens more cities around the world.

Be aware of your surroundings.

fool and his gold soon parted.

you were with them for a few minutes???????? anyone approaches me on the street a brush them down straight away, cos you know there up to no good.

I think the truth is you were enjoying it. let this be a lesson learnt

The police are right, there is nothing that can be done, even if you finger a katoey and say 'thats my gold necklace' hwo the hell do you prove that? Youwould have needed to catch them in the act and chased them down, then a motorbike taxi driver, civilian or cop can get the situation sorted out and get your chain back and arrest the perpetrator, dont be so self centered, like you lost this stupid gold chain so the cops have to launch a big investigation over it, you fell for the hustle, you can tell the cops to watch for this sort of thing but they already know, the cops in america would have told you the same thing

They've been there for at least 15 years that I know of.

Usually by the footbridge.

They usually roam looking for drunks - touch them up and whip out their wallets.

They are really good at it....got my phone years ago...3 times

It was the one that was behind you wot did it.

You must have enjoyed it - going back three times.

Was just wondering why they put the phone back twice.

old fart with a gold chain... hmmmmm...how many times did they rub your face on their mamory glands ? oh... do not answer that, i will, only enough for you to feel foolish the next day. :-)

old fart with a gold chain... hmmmmm...how many times did they rub your face on their mamory glands ? oh... do not answer that, i will, only enough for you to feel foolish the next day. :-)

are those even mammory glands, on a raoming pair of ladyboy's?

and, regarding those wares, were you actually considering them, prior to your refusal of them?

There is no chance that the OP isn't complicit in this caper,

The entire story didn't make sense as, what is a hurried man doing stopping for 2-3 minutes?

I am surprised all they got was the chain, did you not have a watch and a wallet that day?

A few years ago the ladyboys tried it on me between soi 20 and 22. After some pushing and shoving got away from them with no damage. I have seen them from Soi 22 to Soi 4 during the early evening hour to early morning. When they approach me now I just yell at them as load as I can "Get the <deleted> away from me." so far this has worked.

Never wear a gold chain or any valuables that is visible, simple as that. It happens all the time, both in Bangkok and Pattaya.

Exactly right. There was some discussion in another thread here not too long back about the pros & cons of "displaying wealth" while on holiday in Thailand. Yours is an object lesson in why NOT to do it. It's also an object lesson in the uselessness (to foreigners anyway) in depending on the police for your safety or any real assistance. You were in a commonly trafficked public area, filed a formal report, offered every assistance and item of first-person information, and the police still proved to be of very little help, due mainly to their sheer unwillingness to be of any help! The criminals concerned were self-secure and bold enough to be in the same area the following day (and no doubt most days...), unhindered in any way by the police. As a foreigner on the street, the police are really NOT your friend (no surprise to many or most of us), so maintain full responsibility for your own safety & well-being, and try to inform yourself and avoid unnecessary risks.

How much help would the police be if you suffered a random street robbery in any other country?

'Sorry, but kind of a dumb question given the actions taken by the victim here to assist the police in apprehending the culprits. He gave them the where, when & how, and went back the following day only to see the same scum doing the same thing in the same place - no policeman in sight. That area is not exactly a remote one so far off the beaten path police couldn't have sought & caught the two - had they been so inclined, that is. Which they freely advised the OP they weren't. That's NOT what I expect from law enforcement intended to "serve and protect" ... anywhere!

Her hooters were on top of your head ?.......are you really really short ?

Good men pay good money for this...specially one behind as well.....

The biggest lady boy I've seen must have been well over seven feet tall, and also extremely chubby. So it is possible that the hooters were resting on his head. In fact, the criminal strategy of this particular lady boy may be to immobilize victims under her hooters until they give in, or flee, leaving behind their valuables.

Yeah, add that to your list of "Never Do." Never drive, never ever ride motorcycles, never buy property when it cannot be in your name, never get involved with a Thai bar girl, never walk by yourself after dark, never, never, never . . . . . you probably should never leave your parent's home; and stay under the covers.

They've been there for at least 15 years that I know of.

Usually by the footbridge.

They usually roam looking for drunks - touch them up and whip out their wallets.

They are really good at it....got my phone years ago...3 times

It was the one that was behind you wot did it.

You must have enjoyed it - going back three times.

Was just wondering why they put the phone back twice.

i kept it in a strange place..

Well, it's actually the other way around for me. Ladyboys are easy pickings. I have a 10 inch schlong (the good Lord making up I guess for all the other stuff he sold me short on). So, what I do is approach a cackle of ladyboys (that's a collective noun made from cock and gaggle), unzip and let my snake loose. Which causes the whole lot of them to go nuts and sit and stoop in front of me and ooh and aah and touch which I don't mind. At which time I reach down and pick what I can from their bags and back pockets. Like taking candy from a baby. That easy.

Do I feel guilty stealing? Hell, no. They got it coming. But I am a nice guy. I don't do it that often. Only about once a month when the rent's due.

Now I will admit I was on a round about the same time the OP got taken, doing my thing about five times between Soi 24 and 10. Let's see what I got. An iPhone, an HTC M8, a wallet full of wow, and yep two gold chains. So if the OP pms me with a time and description I'll be happy to give him his bling back if it's one I have. No mention. Courtesy TVer to another.

• Like 1

Same thing happened to us 4 weeks ago and to friends 2 weeks ago, is this Thainess?

No - this is crime.

It is also 'Thainess' ... 'You have, I don't have, therefore it is OK for me to take from you'.

<deleted> logic here, it beats anything, because now they have my property, it would seem it is OK for me to rob them of it right back ...

A friend of mine feels the need to walk around like he's the cock of the walk with gold neck chains with a big Buddha on it, gold bracelets and a two-tone Rolex sub...

He just bought his bar girl GF a bunch of gold (I mean she's dripping in it like she's going back to the village to show off) too and they both walk around drunk at night around the Nana area.... Seriously stupid and ostentatious...

I try to give them the hint that it's not too smart, but he just don't get it that it's not the best of looks (especially in a country like this), and especially not safe...

They've been lucky so far, but sometimes I just don't understand people :-S

Edited by MeHere

Her hooters were on top of your head ?.......are you really really short ?

Good men pay good money for this...specially one behind as well.....

Sorry, but I fail to see any humour in this story.

Being mugged and robbed can be extremely traumatic, it is something that victims don`t recover from quickly. Perhaps similar will happen to you one day and we can all get the chance to see the funny side of your experience, only somehow, I doubt you would be sharing the funny side of it.

Not sure that he was really mugged as he clearly had no physical injuries. From his post it appears to me that at the time the incident was more of an annoyance than anything else.

However while the incident is annoying and unsavoury why is he wearing a gold chain in Bangkok? He really is setting himself up for an incident like this to happen.

The quote at the end of his post indicates he is a long time Bangkokian. As such you would think he would be more aware of his surroundings and the likelihood of things like this happening.

"A long time Bangkokian."

in this country, you know better than me, you have no/limited rights,

seems like one's only option is to try to get an op-ed in a newspaper, and shame people to do their job. unless you "know" someone, but is the grand palace and jetski gang still working.

maybe you could privately hire someone on your own, if you can get over the aggregiousness, as hard as it can be......

Well, it's actually the other way around for me. Ladyboys are easy pickings. I have a 10 inch schlong (the good Lord making up I guess for all the other stuff he sold me short on). So, what I do is approach a cackle of ladyboys (that's a collective noun made from cock and gaggle), unzip and let my snake loose. Which causes the whole lot of them to go nuts and sit and stoop in front of me and ooh and aah and touch which I don't mind. At which time I reach down and pick what I can from their bags and back pockets. Like taking candy from a baby. That easy.

Do I feel guilty stealing? Hell, no. They got it coming. But I am a nice guy. I don't do it that often. Only about once a month when the rent's due.

Now I will admit I was on a round about the same time the OP got taken, doing my thing about five times between Soi 24 and 10. Let's see what I got. An iPhone, an HTC M8, a wallet full of wow, and yep two gold chains. So if the OP pms me with a time and description I'll be happy to give him his bling back if it's one I have. No mention. Courtesy TVer to another.

Are you saying you could be the one who really did it that night? it was the 28th night last month at about 8ish in the evening and was outside the chuvit park on the walkway. As for the chain, it was of a 2 baht wt. and if you really have it, i would be thrilled to get it back, magical in fact. i promise to compensate you with something in return. pms me if you believe you have it and was of the time and place i mention 0818359093.

Same thing happened to us 4 weeks ago and to friends 2 weeks ago, is this Thainess?

Are you sure your 2 assailants were definitely Thai? There are reports of many criminals of several nationalities operating here.

One of my mates has his pocket picked in Rome - by an Albanian gang (they were caught).

They spoke fluent thai and with a typical local accent