Deep South banners decry 'Siamese colonization'

webfact

Deep South Banners Decry 'Siamese Colonization'
By Khaosod English

14231276761423127812l.jpg
Several banners were spotted in Pattani, Narathiwat, and Yala on 5 Feb 2015.

PATTANI — Police say secessionist insurgents in southern Thailand have hung several banners accusing Thai authorities of human rights violations.

The banners were spotted in Pattani, Narathiwat, and Yala - a region known as the Deep South - between 6-7 am this morning. All of the banners bear the same English text: "People are in suffering because of losing human rights due to Siamese Colonization."

Police believe the banners were hung by local Islamic insurgents who have been battling Thai authorities for the past decade in an effort to revive the independent sultanate of Pattani, which was incorporated into modern-day Thailand in the early 20th century.

EOD teams were dispatched the remove the banners out of fear that the insurgents may have planted explosives nearby, as has happened the past. However, there were no reports of explosives being found in today's operations.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1423127676

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-02-05

Can't see why they are trying to change history, the Sultan on the Malaysian side did the dirty deed cheap, Thai (Siam) took the prize , maybe not such a good idea now but at the time who could refuse a great deal, like winning lotto , now like death wish 15. coffee1.gif

Note the spelling mistake - should have been 'insufferable'.

I think maybe their grammar is actually correct. People are "in" suffering or people are suffering?

Perhaps you were being humorous 'halloween' ?

These comments approved by TVF grammar police.sad.png

• Like 2

Note the spelling mistake - should have been 'insufferable'.

I think maybe their grammar is actually correct. People are "in" suffering or people are suffering?

Perhaps you were being humorous 'halloween' ?

These comments approved by TVF grammar police.sad.png

Fair cop guv'na, you got me!

adjective: insufferable
too extreme to bear; intolerable.

Didn't Siam disappear a long time ago with Thailand replacing it? I thought the idea of Thailand was to try and unite the various different peoples living in Thailand?

Buddhist Thais do respect Muslims. Thus begs the question what is going on in the South? I can't believe the local Thais in the South want to wage war with the central government. Most local people just want to get on with their lives? So what is going on down there?

Edited by MaiChai
  • Like 1

Didn't Siam disappear a long time ago with Thailand replacing it? I thought the idea of Thailand was to try and unite the various different peoples living in Thailand?

Buddhist Thais do respect Muslims. Thus begs the question what is going on in the South? I can't believe the local Thais in the South want to wage war with the central government. Most local people just want to get on with their lives? So what is going on down there?

What is going on down there is actually symptomatic of what is wrong with a lot of Thailand.

Thailand is like many countries a construct of colonization and conquest. Disparate ethnicities, languages and religion subjugated to a central authority. Now for the majority, they are at least Buddhist which has it's own unifying factor, the south doesn't even have that.

Remember for a good many Thai's they are forced as soon as they enter the school gates to speak an language neither the pupils or teachers for that matter speak at home in order to maintain the illusion of nationality. If you add a good dose of Islam vs Buddhism to that already toxic mix, well the outcome is almost inevitable.

The answer, which is so unpalatable to the ruling classes is to acknowledge the ethnic, linguistic and religious diversity of the country and devolve powers to the Lanna, Lao and Malay's.

So the unrest in the South, the simmering tensions between Bangkok and the North continue, until someone in the ruling elite has the guts, foresight and imagination to actually propose something that may actually save the nation

• Like 2

Should be written like: " We want Sharia laws!"

Shorter and to the point.

Ah, another utter ignorant commentor on TVF. The 3 "problematic" southern provinces do NOT want sharia whatsoever. Majority of these people are/act just like 99% of the other Thai [read: easy-going, non-radical, simple-minded, kinda-lazy people] except for not being [pseudo-]buddhists. I have lived there for 1 year and understand their "demands" 100%.

Your comment is (again) the sad proof that most people are racist/fascist/xenophobic, no matter where they come from. FYI: Christians have caused way more HORROR than muslims did, including IS(IL). Read some history. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

unbelievable the muslim terrorists kill all around the world,but for this TV member the people who dont like them are racist/fascist/xenophobic.

• Like 2

Can't see why they are trying to change history, the Sultan on the Malaysian side did the dirty deed cheap, Thai (Siam) took the prize , maybe not such a good idea now but at the time who could refuse a great deal, like winning lotto , now like death wish 15. coffee1.gif

Actually it was the British who bought the Thais off. Thailand or Siam as it was, was claiming the entire coastline on the gulf side.

Ah, another utter ignorant commentor on TVF. The 3 "problematic" southern provinces do NOT want sharia whatsoever. Majority of these people are/act just like 99% of the other Thai [read: easy-going, non-radical, simple-minded, kinda-lazy people] except for not being [pseudo-]buddhists. I have lived there for 1 year and understand their "demands" 100%.

Your comment is (again) the sad proof that most people are racist/fascist/xenophobic, no matter where they come from. FYI: Christians have caused way more HORROR than muslims did, including IS(IL). Read some history. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

unbelievable the muslim terrorists kill all around the world,but for this TV member the people who dont like them are racist/fascist/xenophobic.

You mean the us army are Mooslims, We are all Cactus.

Reminds me of the "STOP BURNING" signs in English the government hangs in Chiang Mai and surrounding areas during burn season (which is starting right about now).

Looking forward to the signs this year. Perhaps all of the farmers who are burning their fields have learned English and will make it into the city this year while their fields are on fire.

• Like 1

Blast rocks Narathiwat; police remove banners with separatist slogans
The Nation

NARATHIWAT: -- A ROADSIDE bomb exploded yesterday in Narathiwat's Chanae district, while banners carrying separatist messages were found posted at several locations in two other provinces in the deep South. No casualties were reported from the bombing.

The home-made bomb, modified from a gas cylinder, was detonated using radio frequency targeting two police pickup trucks. The men on the pickup trucks were officers from Chanae Police Station, who were returning from a mission.

Meanwhile, in Muang district, banners carrying separatist messages in the English language were seen hanging near fruit orchards in tambon Khoke Khian. The banners were removed cautiously as police feared there may be bombs hidden nearby - a tactic often used by the insurgents.

The banners were also found put up in Yala's Muang, Bannang Sata and Than To districts as well as in Pattani's Muang and Khok Pho districts. As fake bombs were found near the banners in Yala's Muang district, police took extra care in removing the banners.

The messages written with red markers criticised the authorities for discrimination. Police are checking the fingerprints on the banners to see if they match those of suspected insurgents on the police watch list.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Blast-rocks-Narathiwat;-police-remove-banners-with-30253514.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-06

I once said "All of them should be eliminated from the face of the earth......" which earned me a weeks holiday from TVF, so instead I will suggest they be shown the road to Malaysia where they will be happy with their brothers and sisters who are like minded. Why stay in Thailand if they are so unhappy or hard done by?

I once said "All of them should be eliminated from the face of the earth......" which earned me a weeks holiday from TVF, so instead I will suggest they be shown the road to Malaysia where they will be happy with their brothers and sisters who are like minded. Why stay in Thailand if they are so unhappy or hard done by?

Because it's their land.

Because they were there before it was Thailand.

Because, rightly or wrongly they do not see themselves as Thai, but rather see the Thais as occupiers of their country.

Now then who in history said members of another faith should leave for another country?

There was an anniversary of the tragedy and horrors that this sort of thinking led to just the other week.

Now who was that again?

• Like 1

And also incorrect.

Ah, the islamic supporter is heard from.

The Southerners are separatists that happen to be Muslim. There is nothing Islamic (in a jihadi sense) about their protests.

• Like 2

i'll write it in simple words for you...

muslim terrorist: bad

muslim people: not bad perse

• Like 1

They do not see themselves as 'Thai' and although I despise and hate the violence (NO excuses whatsoever) it would be wise to give them some sort of self-determination and self-government. We don't need more Palestine's.

Thais are so PROUD (foolishly proud I'd say) they were not colonized yet colonize themselves. Negotiate a peace.

• Like 2