Small motorbikes and travel in Thailand, with photo's.

chrissables

Small bikes can travel!

A long and interesting trip on my PCX with photos.

I hope some of the information will be helpful and encourage people with small bike that they are able to travel around Thailand and see some wonderful sights off and on the tourist tracks.

This is also full of good ideas for a car trip too!

My plan was to travel around North Thailand, into Laos and back, using small roads as much as possible and seeing sights off of the main tourist destinations.

My first day was from Pattaya to Nong Khai, this was done in 10hrs 15mins and was 685km. A straight forward trip up roads 331, 304 and number 2 road. Boring but ok.

Days 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. After seeing friends at Nong Khai, Ta Baw and Si Bun Rueang, near Nong Bua Lamphu I left early morning (day 6), 5.45am to ride to Chum Phae, then a right along road 12 towards Phitsanulok, this is a great road for motorbikes.

Then I took a right along 2216 through Nam Nao National Park.

I then continued towards Lom Sak, road 203 before taking the road up Phu Hin Rong Kla Mountain and through the National Park in the rain. This is a super road for motorbikes, hair pin bends all the way to the 1667 meter summit. I looped back down to road 12 and continued West to stay the night at Tak. A journey of 553km and 13hrs 15 mins. A very tiring day.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posting photos.

Step 1: Bottom right you'll see "More Reply Options" - Click this and remember that the posts will now be BELOW the editor

Step 2: Underneath this "Attach Files" - "Choose Files" - Select your image, wait for upload then "Add to post"

Step 3: Repeat 2 ad nauseum (or until you think we've got the point wink.png )

Step 4: Sit back and marvel at your glory

Posting photos.

Step 1: Bottom right you'll see "More Reply Options" - Click this and remember that the posts will now be BELOW the editor

Step 2: Underneath this "Attach Files" - "Choose Files" - Select your image, wait for upload then "Add to post"

Step 3: Repeat 2 ad nauseum (or until you think we've got the point wink.png )

Step 4: Sit back and marvel at your glory

Thanks, seems to be working!

Yes, I entirely agree, I have done a lot of that route, also on my PCX. was it the Sukhumvit road you took coming from Pattaya? I am riding to Pattaya from Phichit next week.

I rode to Nong Khai first, then South and along road 12. My route is detailed, although if interested in more detail, please ask.

Yes, I entirely agree, I have done a lot of that route, also on my PCX. was it the Sukhumvit road you took coming from Pattaya? I am riding to Pattaya from Phichit next week.

I rode to Nong Khai first, then South and along road 12. My route is detailed, although if interested in more detail, please ask.

I done the road 12 all the way from Mukdahan to near Petchabun, As we both ride the same bike keep in touch and let me know how you get on with it.

Happy riding. Possum.

I done the road 12 all the way from Mukdahan to near Petchabun, As we both ride the same bike keep in touch and let me know how you get on with it.

Happy riding. Possum.

Will do!

With all respect to your trip and having been a biker back in Europe, it still makes me thinking why one would choose a bike to travel long distances. Please don't take me wrong, but I lost some really good friends on two wheels. Thailand is not a bikers paradise, some passionate bikers may confirm this. Respect of your journey, I wouldn't go for it.

Fatfather

Day 8. Mae Sot South to Umpang along Death Highway, road 1090, a great road, hardly any traffic and superb views. 169km

Day 9. I continued South from Umpang on road 1288 until the Burmese border. Another remote and interesting trip. I was allowed to cross out of Thailand on foot and had a look around the market before the ride back to Umpang. 174km

post-112020-0-05163100-1423143194_thumb.

post-112020-0-75006500-1423143323_thumb.

post-112020-0-17069300-1423143516_thumb.

With all respect to your trip and having been a biker back in Europe, it still makes me thinking why one would choose a bike to travel long distances. Please don't take me wrong, but I lost some really good friends on two wheels. Thailand is not a bikers paradise, some passionate bikers may confirm this. Respect of your journey, I wouldn't go for it.

Fatfather

I understand, but once you are in the countryside, really its so much better.

Day 10. I left Umpang Westwards along 1167 and arrived at the Thai / Burmese border with no barrier, so I carried on a few hundred meters down a terrible track until the Burmese border where I was allowed to walk across and take a photo, but really nothing to see. Then back to Umpang and North to Mae Sot. 208km. 5hrs 15mins

post-112020-0-64764000-1423152459_thumb.

post-112020-0-94627000-1423152626_thumb.

Day 11. North from Mae Sot along road 105, past the Burmese refugee camp, then I turned right up road 1267 Talay Mok mountain, “sea of fog”. I think it’s called Doi Moei National Park. No fog, but great views across the mountains into Burma.

I continued along road 105 until Mae Sariang, some of this road was in bad condition and slowed me down a lot. 308km 11hrs 15 mins.

post-112020-0-66411500-1423181604_thumb.

post-112020-0-22594900-1423182231_thumb.

Day 12. From Mae Sariang I rode South on road 1194, really not a good road, until reaching the Salawin river which forms the Thai Burmese border. A good look around small isolated roads found some hill tribe houses and good views across to Burma, then back to Mae Sariang. 142km 8 hrs.

post-112020-0-57236600-1423182814_thumb.

post-112020-0-69815700-1423183306_thumb.

post-112020-0-04706300-1423183759_thumb.

post-112020-0-49288900-1423183989_thumb.

Great! Only way to go.... You can stop when and where you want.... thumbsup.gif

I have only done the southern provinces, and as far south as Malacca in Malaysia, and would love to head to northern Thailand, some day! Also in a PCX! thumbsup.gif

I had the seat modified, it's the most comfortable bike i have ever ridden!

I have only done the southern provinces, and as far south as Malacca in Malaysia, and would love to head to northern Thailand, some day! Also in a PCX! thumbsup.gif

Yes mine too.... it's cheap in easy to do.... I had the hump on mine on the first long trip I did bah.gif ... which happened to be the longest trip! Soon learned after that!

You should consider posting some pics in the friendly photo forum thumbsup.gif

....http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/84-photography-and-the-arts/

Going to add this here, referring to mechanical problems.... One should always get a service before leaving on a long trip, including changing the air filter... Oil change etc .... which really improves gas mileage ... if tires are worn too much get a new one first (usually the back needs replacing long before the front...)

There are many places that can change tires, should a flat happen! It's inconvenient, but not complicated .... it's not happened to me.... (yet!)

Edited by samuijimmy

Day 14. I rode back South to a road I passed the previous day, its sign posted Ban Microwave, I suppose because of the microwave pylons at the top. This is a very steep road, but easy and safe. I got a bit carried away at the top and continued through the brush until I arrived at the real summit and some magnificent views across the mountains.

On my way back I saw some long necked tribe people along road 1250 just before arriving back at Mae Hong Son. 108km

post-112020-0-67213400-1423185430_thumb.

post-112020-0-55006700-1423185693_thumb.

post-112020-0-79787000-1423185999_thumb.

Yes mine too.... it's cheap in easy to do.... I had the hump on mine on the first long trip I did bah.gif ... which happened to be the longest trip! Soon learned after that!

You should consider posting some pics in the friendly photo forum thumbsup.gif

....http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/84-photography-and-the-arts/

Going to add this here, referring to mechanical problems.... One should always get a service before leaving on a long trip, including changing the air filter... Oil change etc .... which really improves gas mileage ... if tires are worn too much get a new one first (usually the back needs replacing long before the front...)

There are many places that can change tires, should a flat happen! It's inconvenient, but not complicated .... it's not happened to me.... (yet!)

I did a full service and tyre change before leaving, also when on the road as it was a long trip. One puncture, new air filter, new drive belt......All the info is in my up-coming posts :)