Supporters, Protesters Of Thaksin Clash At Central World

george

Supporters, protesters of Thaksin clash at Central World

BANGKOK: -- Protesters and supporters of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra engaged in a brief fist-fight Monday afternoon at Central World Plaza.

Manager Online reported that supporters of Thaksin attacked the protesters on the ground floor of the shopping mall after the protesters booed Thaksin, calling for him to resign.

The supporters also shouted in support of the prime minister.

The two sides matched their shouts when Thaksin took an elevator to the ground floor from the chairing the opening ceremony of Digital TK Park, a digital learning centre, on the eighth floor.

Both supporters and protesters gathered in small numbers, the Web site reported.

It said the supporters attacked the protesters shortly after Thaksin left in his car.

The Web site said police later dragged the protesters away from the scene while failing to take any action against the protesters.

--The Nation 2006-08-21

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Web site said police later dragged the protesters away from the scene while failing to take any action against the protesters.

"Thou doth protest too much"

Now who exactly was taken away and who had no action taken against them?

Are the supporters the protesters and the protesters are the protesters??

or is it the opposite and the protesters the protesters and the supporters are the protestors??? :o

It's a bit of mixed-up message...

REGARDLESS,

it's an abysmal state of affairs when such basics as free speech are deemed to be such a threat to democracy.

Edited by sriracha john

One of the victims of Saturday's fracas (the one mentioned in this OP is the 3rd such squabble):

1. Siam Paragon

2. Rajabhat University

3. World Trade Center.... err... it's now "Central World Plaza"

s2_copy46.jpg

A man attacked on Saturday by alleged supporters of Thaksin Shinawatra shows his bruised eye at a news conference yesterday.

The Nations Photo in the News

One of the victims of Saturday's fracas (the one mentioned in this OP is the 3rd such squabble):

1. Siam Paragon

2. Rajabhat University

3. World Trade Center.... err... it's now "Central World Plaza"

s2_copy46.jpg

A man attacked on Saturday by alleged supporters of Thaksin Shinawatra shows his bruised eye at a news conference yesterday.

The Nations Photo in the News

When you are a thug, a bully and a coward you surround yourself with thugs and bullies.

Toxin is such a person!

When the lid blows off after the election, it won't be a pretty sight. :o

Edited by ratcatcher

Yeah I just saw it, people being manhandled by men dressed in black. One guy over 60 years of age bloody and bruised face, and a younger lady who looked harmless with a fair amount of blood on her neck.

Has anyone noticed that it seems all of the violence from every incident so far has come from Mr T's side. It always seems peaceful but vocal anti Thaksin demonstrators are attacked by the other side.

I havn't seen any cases the other way around. Has anyone else?

I find it incredible that a leader of a country can get away with having his own personal security assault members of the public, especially when they have broken no law.

Unbelieveable!

Edited by womble

I've just watched an in-depth look at what occurred and it seems that two of the attackers were beyond doubt plainclothes police officers. They were caught very clearly by the TV cameras. One was in your typical plainclothes style with the shades, black jacket etc and both were handing protestors over to the uniformed boys.

Edited by Tarragona

I've just watched an in-depth look at what occurred and it seems that two of the attackers were beyond doubt plainclothes police officers. They were caught very clearly by the TV cameras. One was in your typical plainclothes style with the shades, black jacket etc and both were handing protestors over to the uniformed boys.

You didn't mention jackboots? Oh I guess this is the Thai Gestapo. It will be interesting to see just how far he will go to cling to power before he is finally ousted. These are not nice people.

All bad things must come to an end.

Thaksin's still at the helm and, for all intents and purposes, Thailand remains a dictatorship where any form of protest and dissent is dealt with harshly, if the government and police can get away with it - depending on circumstances.

When there are relatively few protesters - then they obviously feel they can.

I thought protest was all about making your presence felt - noisily, but peacefully - however that doesn't appear to be the case in the present political climate.

As previous posters have pointed out quite correctly - Thaksin is nothing but a bully-boy and a thug - what else would you expect!

It will all come back to him one day, rather sooner than later. Daily beatings of protesters by his own security detail is unacceptable.

The Nation made Siam Paragon incindent their frontpage story today, I can imagine what they will print tomorrow.

Will they pull Chaushesku on Dr. T. one day?

The Nation made Siam Paragon incindent their frontpage story today, I can imagine what they will print tomorrow.

What I saw was on one of the small cable TV channels with Chirmsak Pinthong. I think if it goes out on the major stations Thaksin's days could come to an end very quickly. Maybe Sorayuth will get on it tonight - won't hold my breath though.

This is getting more and more difficult every day. WHERE TO POST!!!!! :o

1) We have the Thaksin crony thread otherwise know as the EC in jail thread.

2) We have the Someone wants to ‘do’ Thaksin thread.

3) We have the Thaksin beats up men women and little children thread.

4) We have the Royal decree thread that seems to be a good fit for most posts.

5) We have the Thaksin political dead end thread.

6) We have the SJ’s Thaksin not telling the truth again thread in the General forum.

Did I miss any? I guess I need buy some dice to decide where to post.

I just saw it on ITV again, with new pictures that clearly show people being quite forcefully dragged away by plainclothed police. None of them lookded dangerous, one was quite an old man.

Whilst they were showing the footage the presenter was on the phone to a high ranking police officer who was very angry and said it was the protesters fault. He said they should show respect for Thakisn. He said they shouldn't shout at him in public.

It made the police look quite clearly to be under Thaksins command.

The protesters seen looked to be a harmless bunch, quite the opposite to the thugs that assaulted them

This is going to be on all the TV stations, lets hope people realise this is very wrong and not believe voice overs and propaganda from people such as this policeman.

This is really stunning, especially from a man who only a few weeks back asked for national unity and reconciliation. Even more ironic is a small quote from his letter to George Bush. "I know that you agree with me that the rule of law and Constitutional order in Thailand and in Asia more broadly must prevail over demagoguery and mob action." On the other hand I must agree with Thaksin when he had written, "There has been a threat to democracy in Thailand since early this year. " That threat has been clearly evidenced by none other than...

people will put whatever interpretation on it suits their purposes and persuasion. I saw TV one version says pro and anti taxin supporters where in same area - the old man was asked to leave by police but refused - maybe true maybe not but people are far to quick to jump on dictator jackboot argument - Waht I saw was police trying to keep police and osme thugs trying to stop this

Who knows - and no im not a taxim fan never have been - but look at other side sometimes please

What worries me most is not taxin going which he will but from what i c of his opponents they just dont have a clue - help us if the opponents i have seen get in but hopefully theirs someone behind scenes ready worthy able and ready to take over

I just saw it on ITV again, with new pictures that clearly show people being quite forcefully dragged away by plainclothed police. None of them lookded dangerous, one was quite an old man.

The black-shirted security-man grabbed him round the neck, man-handled him away, while punching him at least once. The uniformed-police standing all round took absolutely no action against him.

Whilst they were showing the footage the presenter was on the phone to a high ranking police officer who was very angry and said it was the protesters fault. He said they should show respect for Thakisn. He said they shouldn't shout at him in public.

This is a government TV-channel, so the presenter was unable to question the polceman, or make any critical comments. The officer blamed the protesters for the trouble, which was completely different from what the pictures actually showed, and said that they were lacking respect to Thaksin, which wouldn't be permitted in any other country.

The officer was clearly unaware of the meaning of the sections on free-speach, in the Thai constitution, and didn't seem to feel any duty to protect the protesters. He was also clearly unaware of how peaceful protests are made, in other countries.

It made the police look quite clearly to be under Thaksins command.

The protesters seen looked to be a harmless bunch, quite the opposite to the thugs that assaulted them

This is going to be on all the TV stations, lets hope people realise this is very wrong and not believe voice overs and propaganda from people such as this policeman.

Freedom of Speech is a relatively new concept for Thailand.... Clearly the authorities are having difficulty interpreting its meaning and it's implications.

I suspect that, having moved from automatic-respect-for-pooyais, to a new system where the citizens are free and equal, certain forces of government simply don't understand the cultural change which has taken place. Certainly there was some evidence, during the PAD-rallies, that the police were taking a slightly more (if not totally) even-handed approach.

Yeah I just saw it, people being manhandled by men dressed in black. One guy over 60 years of age bloody and bruised face, and a younger lady who looked harmless with a fair amount of blood on her neck.

Has anyone noticed that it seems all of the violence from every incident so far has come from Mr T's side. It always seems peaceful but vocal anti Thaksin demonstrators are attacked by the other side.

I havn't seen any cases the other way around. Has anyone else?

I find it incredible that a leader of a country can get away with having his own personal security assault members of the public, especially when they have broken no law.

Unbelieveable!

Has anyone noticed that this coward of a PM who ignores anything but the Northern provinces has NOT yet stepped forward and asked his supporters NOT to interfere or act against protesters? Any sane PM would have had a press conference or TV broadcast to distance himself from this.

The guy in black looks like a mean mother... probably some ex-commando or hitman. No one has yet confirmed he IS an undercover policeman, same goes for the pink shirt rat that bullied the 70 year old man.

What I saw was on one of the small cable TV channels with Chirmsak Pinthong. I think if it goes out on the major stations Thaksin's days could come to an end very quickly. Maybe Sorayuth will get on it tonight - won't hold my breath though.

Just wait a bit. A senator is on ASTV tonight, along with the protestors who were banged up, a woman, a 60 year old man and a 70 year old man plus a dozen more who were present.

Surprise surprise! The senator showed the camera a memory stick given to him by a policeman who was on the scene taking pictures, saying he had enough of his police work and that someone had to know how things are really handled. Thugs can be seen everywhere on the pictures, on the mezzanines in the mall, standing outside. Some of them were EC supporters who were instructed by the court a few weeks ago not to interfere with political situations such as this one. Another is a one legged guy with a crutch who was present when there was raucus at Sondhi's ofices, seems he is the coordinator/observer for the hired cockroaches who were identified as Klong Toei hired rats, 20 year olds who jumped and kicked the 60 year old man and ran away like cockroaches when you turn on the light.

ASTV has decided to ask the public to send any info about the faces they are showing. The media will surely receive even more footage and pictures identifying these lowlifes and policemen not taking action

This government along with it's police force don't seem to understand that a democracy allows protesters to do their thing while people attacking them repeatedly is not right.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Thaksin critics assaulted in latest clashes

22 August 2006

Confrontations between pro- and anti-Thaksin elements escalated into full-scale violence yesterday in what was the third hostile encounter between the two sides in three days.

The mayhem, which grimly overshadowed the brisk scuffle at Siam Paragon on Saturday and Sunday’s confrontation at the Ratchapat Chandrakasem Institute, erupted as Thaksin presided over the opening of an education fair at the newly opened Central World Plaza.

Sporadic brawls broke out in different parts of the shopping mall after Thaksin left in the afternoon. It took hundreds of police officers, who were anticipating trouble, nearly an hour to restore order. Five anti-Thaksin protesters were hospitalized.

Senior figures in the caretaker government accused the anti-Thaksin People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) of provoking the violence, adding that members of the public should make their opinions known at the ballot box on October 15.

...and all other civil liberties related to a free democracy, such as Free Speech, are to be suspended in the meantime???

However, PAD leaders said members of the public had a constitutional right to peacefully express their disapproval of the government, and accused Thaksin supporters and security forces of instigating the violence.

Political observers expressed concern about the recent upsurge in violence between the two camps and predicted that hostilities would continue if Thaksin remains in office.

As Thaksin tried to speak at the opening of Digital TK Park on the eighth floor of Central World Plaza yesterday, he was greeted with calls of “Thaksin get out!”

Thaksin supporters responded with their trademark call of “Thaksin fight on!”

Similar incidents were repeated on several floors of the plaza and outside in the parking lot.

In one incident, a young man kicked an elderly anti-Thaksin demonstrator to the ground. Police rapidly intervened but made no arrests.

...under their interpretation of the law, the police found nothing illegal about kicking senior citizens. Only Free Speech is suspended, but Free Kicking is still allowed.

Agriculture Minister Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, the deputy TRT leader, said she was dismayed at what she had seen.

“From what I have observed during recent tours of several regions around the country, it appears the anti-Thaksin groups were [intent on disrupting society],” she said.

“I want to ask all sides not to do anything that will provoke the other side to react.”

...in other words, don't practice Free Speech and we won't be compelled to practice Free Kicking.

Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva also expressed concern over the recent escalation in violence by both pro- and anti-Thaksin demonstrators.

“The right to express political opinions belongs to everyone,” he said. “However, this should be done within limits and not [be] violent.”

Abhisit went on to criticize Government Spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee and other ministers for accusing certain elements of masterminding the anti-Thaksin protests.

Suriyasai Katasila, a founding member of PAD, yesterday denied allegations the alliance had orchestrated the anti-Thaksin protests over the weekend.

What Suriyasai needs to realize is that Thaksin's supporters will only do something for money, be it voting or bashing opponents. That is Thaksin's frame of reference... to get people to do something requires payment for that.

What he hasn't experienced is that other people will sometimes do things out of a concept known as "free will" and that they will commit these actions without compensation, but out of a sense of doing what they feel is "right." They don't require prompting or orchestration by anyone else. So when he's confronted by these vocal opponents, he uses his frame of reference and thinks, "they must be sponsored by PAD" or "they must have been paid by the Democrats." That these people are spontaneously using "free will" or that they are doing something out of a keen sense of what they feel they should do.... those types of concepts are beyond his realm of experience.

Suriyasai also said claims that anti-Thaksin elements were plotting to assassinate the prime minister were bogus.

“The government aims to tarnish PAD’s credibility,” Suriyasai said.

“[The accusation that the People’s Alliance for Democracy is behind the violence] is untrue. PAD’s core premise is in opposing Thaksin through peaceful means in accordance with the Constitution,” he said.

“We have organized mass demonstrations attended by more than 100,000 people where not a single violent incident occurred,” he said.

“It is Thaksin himself who has created enemies all around the country.”

Pol Lt Gen Achirawit Suphannaphaysat, the national police spokesman, denied his officers had used excessive force when dealing with anti-Thaksin protesters.

“It is the job of the police to protect the leader of the country, no matter what party he belongs to,” he said.

...and these verbal words are a threat to his physical well-being. They are capable of wounding him and drawing blood. The idea of "sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never harm me" needs to be explained to Khun Achirawit.

Academics have also expressed concern about the recent clashes, adding that members of the public have a legal right under the Constitution to peacefully express their views.

“The political crisis was a result of Thaksin’s actions. [He] incited public distrust,” said Thavee Surarithikul, Dean of Political Science at Sukhothai Thammathiraj University.

“The expression of their disapproval of a political leader is a freedom they may exercise at any time. It is protected under the framework of the law,” he said.

“It is Thaksin himself who must stop all activities that incite violent confrontations,” Thavee said.

ThaiDay

Thugs can be seen everywhere on the pictures, on the mezzanines in the mall, standing outside. Some of them were EC supporters who were instructed by the court a few weeks ago not to interfere with political situations such as this one. Another is a one legged guy with a crutch who was present when there was raucus at Sondhi's ofices, seems he is the coordinator/observer for the hired cockroaches who were identified as Klong Toei hired rats, 20 year olds who jumped and kicked the 60 year old man and ran away like cockroaches when you turn on the light.

Their actions haven't gone unnoticed by the courts, Tony.... :o:D

Perhaps we could publish the photos of these 11 hired thugs??? Do you have?

Court warns 11 EC supporters they are facing contempt

Supporters of the three former election commissioners who received suspended jail sentences earlier this month for contempt of court will face jail terms if witnesses complain they have been involved in recent spates of violence between pro and anti government groups.

Criminal Court secretary Than Bunyatulanon yesterday called on witnesses to file complaints with police if they had seen any of the 11 people who were sentenced to one-year suspended jail terms being involved in the violence of the past few days.

On August 3, the court sentenced four people to jail terms and another 11 to one-year suspended jail terms after they confessed to having made inappropriate comments and acted inappropriately in a protest against the court's verdict in the case of the three EC commissioners.

Than said the verdict against the 11 included a condition that they refrain from involvement in any activities that disturbed the peace or caused conflict among members of the public for one year.

"If they violate that condition, the court can revoke the suspension and send them to jail,'' he said.

A source said some of the 11 were seen in an incident that almost ended in a clash at Rajabhat Chankasem University where an anti-government group organised a press conference on Sunday.

The Nation

---------------------------------------------

I can hear Thaksin now whilst drinking his morning coffee today, "Damnnnnn these courts."

:D

Army chief calls for national reconciliation

BANGKOK – Army Commander-in-Chief Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin on Monday expressed his uneasiness about a spate of clashes between pro- and anti-Thaksin groups in different places and called on all parties to unite for the sake of the national reconciliation.

As a military, Gen. Sonthi said he wants all Thai people to love and unite with each other.

They should not divide themselves into opposite groups.

It is a duty of all Thais to have common consciousness in helping build the national unity.

“There is a self-limitation in the democratic system. What should do or should not depends on the consciousness. I don’t want to see the clashes between Thai people. I prefer to see them love and unite with each other,” he said.

On a news report that the premier’s bodyguards hurt people who booed and jeered at him, the army chief said it must be understood everyone need to perform his or her duty to the utmost of his/her ability. :o:D

However, he said he did not want to give a lot of comments on the incident because he had not seen the incidents.

- MCOT

Alarm grows as protesters bashed

Three hurt, three arrested after PM's minders target protesters on third day of violence

Three people were injured and three others arrested yesterday when fights erupted between supporters and opponents of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. It was the second such clash in three days.

Television broadcasts of the skirmishes showed police failed to intervene.

An elderly man could be seen being kicked and stomped by alleged supporters of the prime minister. Two men shouting "Thaksin, get out" were manhandled and dragged away by others.

According to a top policeman, it was suspected some attackers were policemen in civilian clothes.

"One of them is a man in a black shirt who can be seen on a video recording. Police will look into this," Colonel Manit Wongsomboon, deputy commander of the Metro-politan Police Division 6, said.

Yesterday's clashes occurred shortly after Thaksin departed the Central World Plaza shopping complex. His attendance at the opening of the Digital Thai Knowledge Park was accompanied by tight security. Metropolitan Police commissioner general Viroj Chantarangsi was also present at the function.

Thaksin supporters and opponents sparred verbally outside the building. A man shouting "Thaksin, get out" was punched by another in the crowd.

Police arrested three men during the skirmishes. Those arrested have been identified as Vichai Uasila-phan, 53, Ritthirong Likhitprasert-kul, 68, and Mongkol Boontem, 18.

Vichai and Ritthirong, who shouted anti-Thaksin messages, were charged with causing a public nuisance. Mongkol had been charged with assault, Manit said.

The injured were identified as Itthiphon Sorawitsakul, 70, Vasu-porn Boonmee, 41, and Khwanchai Juimanee, 30.

Itthiphon was knocked down and stomped by more than 10 men until he was unconscious (AS PER PREVIOUS SENTENCE, HE IS 70 YEARS OLD) :D . He required two stitches to the head. Most of his attackers wore new white shoes.

Khwanchai sustained a wound to his left eye and bruising to the head.

Wasuporn was punched in the face and knocked to the ground. She told reporters she was merely an observer. "I'm so scared, I don't want to file a police complaint," she said.

On Saturday, a small anti-Thaksin group was attacked when it shouted at the prime minister as he attended a Royal exhibition at the Siam Paragon shopping mall.

In a related development, government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said the government and the Thai Rak Thai Party denounced the verbal attacks that led to clashes. :o:D He accused the anti-Thaksin People's Alliance for Democracy of instigating the latest melee.

In response to a PAD call for Thaksin to step down, Surapong said there was no guarantee peace would be restored if the Thai Rak Thai leader quit politics.

Senior opposition figures yesterday expressed concern over the escalating violence.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit called on people to act with restraint, warning the situation could get out of control.

"Everyone has the right to free expression but they should also act within limits," he said.

Abhisit said government officials should not treat demonstrators as political puppets, adding that making disparaging comparisons would fuel anger.

Mahachon Party deputy leader Akapol Surasuchart expressed concern political tensions would escalate in the lead-up to the election.

"Thaksin should quickly make his decision whether to take a political break," he said.

The longer Thaksin defied his critics, the more clashes would occur.

He believed the party had fanned a climate of animosity by attacking opponents. He referred to Thai Rak Thai claims opponents were planning a suicide bombing against Thaksin.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Does anyone know - are these events getting any publicity on the international media ?

I didn't see it anywhere else. The US news agencies probably won't print it as Bush and Mr. T are buddies.

Doesn't it seem strange that both men (for lack of a better term) can do whatever they wish and get away with it.

Beating up old men and women... wow, how macho is that!

TV's showed over and over the footages of the "incident", since last night.

I should say that I'm shocked by the frontpage of Nation, this morning.

One photo caption is amazing : "plainclothes police officers lead a man, who was shouting anti thaksin slogans, away from possible attack by a group of pro taksin people in central world plazza".

And guess what. The "man" is the old man who was bashed. And the "plainclothes police officer" on the left side, is the one who beated the old man ! A dirty cop who tried to keep his sunglasses during all the incident. One footage shows him very clearly beating the old man with his elbows, and then drag him away.

How can Nation make such a mistake ?