Thai alliance hinges on return to democracy: US diplomat

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Typical US foreign policy. Schizophrenic. They've no problem with Egypt's Junta (who hates the US) or many others but love to drive their friends into their enemy's arms. Thailand does more trade with China and this short-sighted policy will cause Thailand to bond more closely with China to the detriment of both Thailand and the US. If the US State Dept. knew the first thing about Thais, they would know you don't get anywhere with ultimatums. Very disappointing.

Scholars rank US Secretary of State John Kerry dead last in terms of effectiveness.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/in-the-loop/wp/2015/02/05/scholars-rank-kerry-dead-last-in-terms-of-effectiveness/

And this is from a newspaper sympathetic to the Obama administration.

And Thai scholars and every national survey rank General Prayuth first in terms of effectiveness. But at least the people in the USA can put their vote where their mouths are. What can be said of the Thai people?

The US by virtue of his existance is a very large and powerful nation as we all know. That is reality and that is what we deal with whether we like it or not.

In the recent case it is childish from Thailand to stand up to them rather than take the information and go on with business to form a democracy.

pride, pride, swallow it my friends, it won't hurt.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Typical US foreign policy. Schizophrenic. They've no problem with Egypt's Junta (who hates the US) or many others but love to drive their friends into their enemy's arms. Thailand does more trade with China and this short-sighted policy will cause Thailand to bond more closely with China to the detriment of both Thailand and the US. If the US State Dept. knew the first thing about Thais, they would know you don't get anywhere with ultimatums. Very disappointing.

Scholars rank US Secretary of State John Kerry dead last in terms of effectiveness.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/in-the-loop/wp/2015/02/05/scholars-rank-kerry-dead-last-in-terms-of-effectiveness/

Right or wrong , Egypt Junta is keeping the Muslim Brotherhood and all that they are capable of, out of power, the same with many dictatorships the US supports. Thailand doesn't have scary terrorists that need a iron fist to keep them in line with a Junta, just a load of Farmers , Factory workers and housewives who want to vote for their own Government

Why Egyptian Columnists Are Calling Out the State Department for ‘Double Standards’ on Terrorism — and It Involves the Muslim Brotherhood

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/02/05/why-egyptian-columnists-are-calling-out-the-state-department-for-double-standards-on-terrorism-and-it-involves-the-muslim-brotherhood/

State Dept. met with affiliates of Muslim Brotherhood prior to call for violent Jihad

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/02/state-dept-met-with-muslim-brotherhood-prior-to-call-for-violent-jihad--111125.html

The US plays both sides against themselves and they are stirring dissent within and without Thailand (also Egypt and elsewhere). Wise countries get what they can from the US but use a 'long spoon' (Thai term) and never trust them.

The Junta only knows the Demitasse spoon that it uses with its Chinese green tea.

Ha ha!! Who needs the Yanks when China has agreed to strengthen military ties to help Thailand protect it's borders!!

What's more, China understands Thailand's political situation and the unique complexities involved within it (Americans do not seem to be able to get a grasp on this).

Perhaps the present Thai 'military' government should stay in power as a successful benign dictatorship, much the same as China (the country that will overtake the USA as being the the most powerful nation on this earth at some point) has!! Now there's a thought, does Thailand need democracy? Thailand is not ready for it in my mind, plus there is the danger that a democratic government would undo all of the good work that the 'good' general has done!!

I think that Thailand should kick the US out of U Tapao airport (strategic for it's pacific military interests) for blatantly interfering in Thai politics - that would tell them where to get off.

Thailand should also get into bed with China and reduce their strategic alliance with this pesky nation until they learn that they are nobodies masters and start behaving themselves.

The US by virtue of his existance is a very large and powerful nation as we all know. That is reality and that is what we deal with whether we like it or not.

In the recent case it is childish from Thailand to stand up to them rather than take the information and go on with business to form a democracy.

pride, pride, swallow it my friends, it won't hurt.

What a load of crass cods wallop!!!

Please tell me why it should listen to anything America say's - do they own the world?

Ha ha!! Who needs the Yanks when China has agreed to strengthen military ties to help Thailand protect it's borders!!

What's more, China understands Thailand's political situation and the unique complexities involved within it (Americans do not seem to be able to get a grasp on this).

Perhaps the present Thai 'military' government should stay in power as a successful benign dictatorship, much the same as China (the country that will overtake the USA as being the the most powerful nation on this earth at some point) has!! Now there's a thought, does Thailand need democracy? Thailand is not ready for it in my mind, plus there is the danger that a democratic government would undo all of the good work that the 'good' general has done!!

I think that Thailand should kick the US out of U Tapao airport (strategic for it's pacific military interests) for blatantly interfering in Thai politics - that would tell them where to get off.

Thailand should also get into bed with China and reduce their strategic alliance with this pesky nation until they learn that they are nobodies masters and start behaving themselves.

Just as well that "in your mind" doesn't actually count, it's the votes cast by the Thai electorate that IS and ALWAYS will be the deciding factor, Thailand is well ready for a democracy, it's the constant interference from the Military that interrupts any chance of some form of democracy, 19 times since the 1930's.. and you think the country isn't ready?

It's the military that's not ready as it means they lose their power base..

Just as well that "in your mind" doesn't actually count, it's the votes cast by the Thai electorate that IS and ALWAYS will be the deciding factor, Thailand is well ready for a democracy, it's the constant interference from the Military that interrupts any chance of some form of democracy, 19 times since the 1930's.. and you think the country isn't ready?

It's the military that's not ready as it means they lose their power base..

Thailand is ready for democracy when the military government has fixed the flawed electoral system to stop the systemic abuse carried out by previous Thaksin controlled' sham governments that have garnered power through disseminating lies, false promises and in the inexcusable exploitation of the uneducated masses in the North of the country.

Fortunately, they have the means at hand to dilute, regulate and control the power of government to the point that corruption will not be able to take place as everything will be too transparent with checks and balances on everything that government does, at all levels.

That is REAL democracy - not the 'red' version and with the Shinawatra's now banished (in disgrace) from the scene, then the country can move on into a brighter future.

• Like 1

Watch them quickly change their policy should N. Korea suddenly become a threat. US are very good at ignoring the most evil of dictatorships when it suits them. Close to home a certain Pol Pot springs to mind. They condemned the Vietnamese for invading Cambodia when they eventually got rid of him. US foreign policy is governed entirely by whether there is anything in it for us.

Disgusting.

The Shiniwatras have been banished?? Really, don't seem to have read anywhere they have been banished, Yingluck was banned, but there are plenty of other puppet Shins out there to enter politics.

The Military have been trying to fix the system for years, by re-writing the constitutions to suit them, and the democrats, and keep failing, are you really this naive ?

You think that corruption will be diluted to such a level it will disappear? You think that the Military and military personnel have not been involved in corruption? ... ummmm okay

• Like 1

Politically I think Thailand is making a huge error

They are on the verge of signing ASEAN agreements on near enough everything with their friendly SE Asia Neighbours most of which have major disputes with China.

Japan in particular is no friend of China - I mention this because Japan has invested heavily in Thailand over the years - they provide a huge chunk of GDP Jobs Infrastructure and trade.

This railway link that carves through Thailand from north to south linking China with southern countries is another problem I see, Thailand is doing China a favour by allowing it to be constructed and yet Thailand is borrowing money from China to pay for it - if someone wants to build a path through my garden to gain access to the other side - well they had better be paying me a lot of money for the pleasure.

Something doesn't smell right here and when I get that impression I always look in the direction of Dubai and Mr Thaksin playing a roll.

I honestly think that the PM should re-evaluate his position and tread very carefully going forward, there is stuff going on here that may not be clear now but my guess is that it will become clear soon enough

As usual, the US is just spewing with no actual substance: "and suspended a small part of its military assistance to Thailand."

Oh wow, that's a really big stick you have there. Yeah, right.

And as usual another TV member "spewing off at the mouth" hate....with no actual substance.

Democracy has degraded into yet another form of government that can be bought by the monied interests being that they finance all parties.

The ideal is good the reality not so, even Plato gave up on it. In the US it is sadly morphing into fascism.

As such the demand for democracy is a demand to be able to buy the government. Seems the Junta is not compliant enough, ever noticed that many countries that don't obey the US soon have coups?

Now think about what has been happening in Thailand for years. I wonder who else may have been stirring things here?

Anybody that believes the US still has democratic elections (bought and sold by corporations, Wall Street criminals, banksters, koch (John Birch Society) bros. and their ilk), that there are real differences between the 2 parties on anything besides social issues, and there still is a functional Constitution needs to wake up and smell the crap originating from Washington and it's corporate masters. Elections are nothing more than a "choice" between the lessor of two evils at the best, unless the un-Supreme Corporate Court appoints the ruler. Some how I have a feeling, nothing to base it on, that something more is going on here than just a public baby spat between the US and Thailand.

• Like 2

Anybody that believes the US still has democratic elections (bought and sold by corporations, Wall Street criminals, banksters, koch (John Birch Society) bros. and their ilk), that there are real differences between the 2 parties on anything besides social issues, and there still is a functional Constitution needs to wake up and smell the crap originating from Washington and it's corporate masters. Elections are nothing more than a "choice" between the lessor of two evils at the best, unless the un-Supreme Corporate Court appoints the ruler. Some how I have a feeling, nothing to base it on, that something more is going on here than just a public baby spat between the US and Thailand.

although I may not disagree with a lot of what you say and I do believe that lack of financial governance and enforcement has and was the cause of the collapse of banks etc needing bailouts (which I also disagree with) were we the people who pay taxes were forced to subsidise a very faulty system at great expense (probably no choice in the matter)

It really has nothing to do with Thailand who are of absolutely of no significance in the scheme of things

Thailand has its own internal corruptions which equally have absolutely no impact on anything outside of Thailand - they are insignificant and matters not a jot to anyone - they may think they do but from a financial perspective they don't - they are not and never will be in the big league

As I have said before - the spat going on between the US and Thailand is one of strategic alliance and nothing more, further to that - the current administration is lacking in the skills needed to be diplomatic which the PM needs to consider very carefully

Prayuth Chan O Cha is a very proud and honest man (my opinion) but he needs to create a buffer between himself and interactions on foreign diplomacy with someone that is highly skilled and trusted and put his trust in that person without question - in other words give the job and responsibility to a skilled diplomat

I am reading between the lines but from what I have seen there is diplomatic friction going on in the background and it is not being handled well by either side, the US meeting with YL and planning to meet with Redshirts........seriously - some real childish diplomacy going on there, both sides need to back down - and Thailand needs to realise that the US at the table is not just the US but it includes Japan Korea Singapore etc etc

• Like 1

Actually, with the American system, the government could be completely changed by the people in only six years. Sometimes there is a third choice, like Ralph Nader, but the people are always too scared to take a chance.

Corporations, etc., can't "buy" an election like they can in a third world country. All they can do is buy advertising. The problem is, the American voter seems to have shown himself to be too stupid to think for himself. Instead of thinking, he swoons before Fox News and 30 second sound bites.

Perhaps there should be poll tests, regardless of the fact that such tests might have disparate discriminatory impact on certain groups.

"Some how I have a feeling, nothing to base it on, that something more is going on here than just a public baby spat between the US and Thailand."

You can bet on it; but we can't discuss it here.

Edited by WheresWaldo

I thought Kerry was going to be a decent SOS. But, I am shocked at how ineffective he is. He is shrill, arrogant, and really wooden. I liked Hillary. She commanded respect.

As far as the recent spat, who cares? What the US says at this point is something very few of us take seriously. The whole concept of building democracy is a fairly discredited notion, based on the recent past, and the nations the US has picked as being ripe for it. Forcing democracy down ones throat does not work. Thailand will make an effort to return to democracy. They had a modest form of it, and look at what a mess they made of it. The last ten years were an abomination, and I do not know of anyone who can call what they had in the last ten years true democracy. It was more like a bunch of children misbehaving.

And does the US have true democracy? Feels a bit more like a fascist republic, at the moment. And I say all this as an American. One who is witnessing a decline of the empire, and an erosion of its influence, at a distance.

If you are an American, time for you to return your passport to the US embassy in BKK. We dont need people like you living in another country, spreading BS and not contributing to anything American.

I thought Kerry was going to be a decent SOS. But, I am shocked at how ineffective he is. He is shrill, arrogant, and really wooden. I liked Hillary. She commanded respect.

As far as the recent spat, who cares? What the US says at this point is something very few of us take seriously. The whole concept of building democracy is a fairly discredited notion, based on the recent past, and the nations the US has picked as being ripe for it. Forcing democracy down ones throat does not work. Thailand will make an effort to return to democracy. They had a modest form of it, and look at what a mess they made of it. The last ten years were an abomination, and I do not know of anyone who can call what they had in the last ten years true democracy. It was more like a bunch of children misbehaving.

And does the US have true democracy? Feels a bit more like a fascist republic, at the moment. And I say all this as an American. One who is witnessing a decline of the empire, and an erosion of its influence, at a distance.

In the letters section of the Other English Daily titled, No Public Scolding, is a nice letter that expresses how I feel. It says friends do not scold friends in public, teachers should not chastise students in front of other students. It's not like the US government doesn't have a lot to answer for with its unprovoked attacks on Iraq (X2), 14 years war on Afghanistan, meddling in Ukraine and Syria, drone strikes in Somalia, Yemen, Pakistan, et. al..

Private diplomacy is the ONLY way to cajole the Thai government to come to your way of thinking. The current 'diplomatic' action is just bringing out the 'stubborn' in the Thai government and bring anger on Americans residing and visiting the Kingdom. In the future, I will be telling Thais who ask what country I come from, "Canada".

• Like 1

In the letters section of the Other English Daily titled, No Public Scolding, is a nice letter that expresses how I feel. It says friends do not scold friends in public, teachers should not chastise students in front of other students. It's not like the US government doesn't have a lot to answer for with its unprovoked attacks on Iraq (X2), 14 years war on Afghanistan, meddling in Ukraine and Syria, drone strikes in Somalia, Yemen, Pakistan, et. al..

Private diplomacy is the ONLY way to cajole the Thai government to come to your way of thinking. The current 'diplomatic' action is just bringing out the 'stubborn' in the Thai government and bring anger on Americans residing and visiting the Kingdom. In the future, I will be telling Thais who ask what country I come from, "Canada".

The actions and opinion of the US are not just a matter to Thailand - the people of the US (the world even) are entitled to know what the US government is doing/thinking about the situation in a country that has been aligned with the States since the end of WW2. So it is important to them, the world AND Thailand that the US view point is well-known......even if it involves international loss of face for the current government.

Edited by cumgranosalum

You seem to be struggling with understanding 3 of your premises - democracy, Thailand and fascism.

If you are an American, time for you to return your passport to the US embassy in BKK. We dont need people like you living in another country, spreading BS and not contributing to anything American.

You are single handedly reinforcing every notion that many have about Americans being thin skinned and overly sensitive. A man who is comfortable within his own skin can handle criticism without resorting to juvenile comments like the one about returning my passport. Inane barely begins to capture the lack of thought put into that one.

Are you a relative of Cheney? A member of the "black and white camp"? No room for dissent. Complete and utter obedience and submission is required. No criticism. No room for discussion. Sounds like a mild form of fascism to me, and you don't even see it.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

The actions and opinion of the US are not just a matter to Thailand - the people of the US (the world even) are entitled to know what the US government is doing/thinking about the situation in a country that has been aligned with the States since the end of WW2. So it is important to them, the world AND Thailand that the US view point is well-known......even if it involves international loss of face for the current government.

The US government was surely upset when Wikkileaks published their private diplomatic correspondence. They didn't seem to think the world was 'entitled' to know what the US government was 'thinking/doing'. Maybe you should look up the word 'diplomatic'.

: involving the work of maintaining good relations between the governments of different countries : of or relating to diplomats or their work

: not causing bad feelings : having or showing an ability to deal with people politely

According to the above definition, Mr. Russel and the US State Dept. FAILED

Admit it, you would hate it if the US had condemned a Thaksin puppet government the same way and you are pleased when anyone says something negative about the current government. Typical UDD/Thaksinista behavior: pointing at others and calling 'double standards' while practicing double standards. Pretty weak argument you have there, Mr. Double Standard.

• Like 1

You are single handedly reinforcing every notion that many have about Americans being thin skinned and overly sensitive. A man who is comfortable within his own skin can handle criticism without resorting to juvenile comments like the one about returning my passport. Inane barely begins to capture the lack of thought put into that one.

Oh I am very thick skinned. All Americans I know love our country and dont say such things. We arent forcing anything down anybody's throats. But my argument still stands, turn it in or, put some effort into fixing what you perceive as problems vs furthering problems by spewing this kind of rhetoric.