Chevrolet colorado, water as engine coolant?

Hi everyone. I am borrowing from a family member a Chevy pick up. 2,5L Diesel turbo intercooler. As i am grateful to be able to use this truck which goes really well in spite of his 336000 kms, i am doing some maintenance.

Today i bled the engine coolant which was, by the taste of it, plain water.

It was clean, only a bit of rust deposit in the expansion tank.

Went to the shop, bought some engine coolant(ethylene glycol+corrosion inhibitor), did the 1 for 10 volumes mix and pored it in the radiator.

As i was about to start the engine to check for any leaks, the GF showed me a little original Chevrolet sticker on the radiator that says( in Thai): Only water, no anti rust.

Bled again and filled with rain water.

In Europe, i would always use coolant as it makes the boiling point higher, protects from rust and lubricates the water pump.

Tonight i am researching the net about this and cannot find a reason for using water only.

Do you TV readers have any idea?

This Chevy pick up is the same as the Isuzu Dmax...

Edited by nelson bunker
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reply Ozemade. Yes i borrow the truck from the Thai cousin, i thought the same thing as you with the poor maintenance when i tasted water as engine coolant.

On the other hand the pick up is going very well with its 3336xx kms which is considered high mileage in Europe. No oil leaks, clean engine, so it must be looked after.

We are not used to Chevy in Europe and i am very impressed with this one. Just drove it to Chiang rai and back from Buriram.

Again the sticker on the radiator looks very genuine and according to the GF and Google translate it says : Water only, no antirust...

I will take it to the shop tomorrow.

I have never seen nor heard of a vehicle that did not use an antifreeze/radiator fluid mixture vs straight water in a radiator. Straight water has always been a no-no. Usually a 50/50 mixture. The coolant fluid has chemicals that prevent corrosion and has a higher boiling point meaning it can get hotter without boiling over. Straight water....straight wrong.

• Like 1

3.0 Dmax with over 430,000km on it. I've always used coolant additive. Green stuff.

As the OP says, it increases the boiling point and therefore might protect the engine for slightly longer if you overheat, at least it'll increase the safe operating temp threshold.

I'd be adding coolant to the water you've put it and think of the work you've all ready done as a flush. smile.png

Edited by Pomthai
  • Like 2

i remember in the old days (probably same today) that cats in particular were attracted to coolent / wiper antifreeze because it tasted sweet to them. Never checked it personally, never will cause i like my eyesight.

At least 20 yrs ago they changed the formula to eliminate that sweet taste. No longer attracts any animals

• Like 1

i remember in the old days (probably same today) that cats in particular were attracted to coolent / wiper antifreeze because it tasted sweet to them. Never checked it personally, never will cause i like my eyesight.

At least 20 yrs ago they changed the formula to eliminate that sweet taste. No longer attracts any animals

That's news to me, it's still commonly used as a nuisance cat eliminator here because it both smells and tastes sweet.

I skipped past the majority of these comments but water is superior for cooling than coolants or alcohol. The reason most places mix water and coolant is to adjust the boiling and freezing temperatures. Primarily freezing. Coolant requires exceptionally low temperatures (can't remember the exact numbers). This is why coolant is sometimes referred to as anti-freeze.

Generally you'll be fine in Thailand under most conditions running straight water but a real coolant/water mix is safer for your vehicle overall.

• Like 1

That's news to me, it's still commonly used as a nuisance cat eliminator here because it both smells and tastes sweet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

The most common water-based antifreeze solutions used in electronics cooling are mixtures of water and either ethylene glycol (EGW) or propylene glycol (PGW). The use of ethylene glycol has a longer history, especially in the automotive industry. However, EGW solutions formulated for the automotive industry often have silicate based rust inhibitors that can coat and/or clog heat exchanger surfaces. Ethylene glycol is listed as a toxic chemical requiring care in handling and disposal.

Ethylene glycol has desirable thermal properties, including a high boiling point, low freezing point, stability over a wide range of temperatures, and high specific heat and thermal conductivity. It also has a low viscosity and, therefore reduced pumping requirements. Although EGW has more desirable physical properties than PGW, the latter coolant is used in applications where toxicity might be a concern. PGW is generally recognized as safe for use in food or food processing applications, and can also be used in enclosed spaces.

• Like 1

I skipped past the majority of these comments but water is superior for cooling than coolants or alcohol. The reason most places mix water and coolant is to adjust the boiling and freezing temperatures. Primarily freezing. Coolant requires exceptionally low temperatures (can't remember the exact numbers). This is why coolant is sometimes referred to as anti-freeze.

Generally you'll be fine in Thailand under most conditions running straight water but a real coolant/water mix is safer for your vehicle overall.

Hahahaha I guess your smarter than every car manufacture in the world. Hahahahahahah wow

Dogs and Cats like the taste.

• Like 1

I think the coolant also adds some lubrication for the water pump.

• Like 2