Thai-Sino military embrace

Lite Beer

CHINESE DEFENCE MINISTER'S VISIT
Thai-Sino military embrace
The Nation

30253581-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bilateral armed forces cooperation gets a lift during visit by Chinese defence minister

With mounting pressure from Washington, the military government of General Prayut Chan-o-cha decided yesterday to enhance military ties with China, expanding joint military exercises and boosting cooperation in the defence industry to increasing intelligence sharing and fighting transnational crime.

The agreement came yesterday during a three-day visit by China's Defence Minister General Chang Wanquan.

The opening ceremony of the 34th annual Thai-US Cobra Gold military exercise will be held on Monday.

At this year's Cobra Gold, the Asia-Pacific's largest annual multinational military exercise, Chinese military officers will take part for the first time.

The exercise is being held despite tension between Thailand and the US although it has been scaled down to humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.

Chang yesterday spoke with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan in separate meetings. The Chinese defence minister met Prayut at Government House after having met Prawit at the Defence Ministry.

The prime minister told the Chinese defence minister that there would be increased cooperation between the two countries in the defence industry in terms of research and development, government spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp said. "He wants China to give Thailand know-how in this area.

"The prime minister also requested that joint military exercises between the three armed forces of the two countries become a reality soon," the spokesman said.

However, there was no discussion about Thailand's purchase of military hardware and weapons from China, Yongyuth said, adding that Thailand had bought a number of Chinese-made weapons in the past.

The Chinese and Thai armed forces have held regular joint military training exercises since 2010 under the codename "Strike".

During his meeting with Prawit, Chang said China had a good understanding about the situation in Thailand and was aware there had been complex changes in the Kingdom over the past several years, Defence Ministry spokesman Colonel Kongcheep Tantrawanit said.

"China respects Thailand's way of solving its internal affairs and will not interfere," the spokesman quoted the Chinese defence minister as saying.

The Chinese side suggested that the military exercises between the two states be expanded over the next five years to cover all armies, including the marines, the spokesman said. Thailand asked for closer cooperation in intelligence sharing and fighting of transnational crimes such as the narcotics trade and human trafficking, he added.

The prime minister thanked China for its understanding of the Thai political situation, the spokesman said. Prayut also congratulated him over the 40th anniversary of ties between Thailand and China.

After the meeting Prawit said: "China has agreed to help Thailand boost national defence and advise on technology to increase Thailand's national security. China will not intervene in Thailand's politics but will give political support and help maintain relationships at all levels"

The Thai defence minister said both countries agreed to increase joint military drills. "We agreed to increase joint military exercises between Thailand's air force and China's air force and to increase overall military cooperation over the next three to five years," he said.

Meanwhile, a US State Department official has warned that the US would not fully reactivate its military alliance with Thailand as long as the junta refuses to restore democracy, AFP reported yesterday.

"There has to be a full restoration both of the institutions of governance and justice as well as the full restoration of a duly democratically elected civilian government," the official told journalists in Washington.

State Department spokesperson Marie Harf explained that Washington made the comment as it has seen slowness in the restoration of democracy in Thailand.

"So obviously, we believe this needs to happen as quickly as possible, and we'll keep pressing that with them," he said.

Prime Minister Prayut said in his weekly national TV address last night that he had worked to the best of his ability to maintain ties with all the countries that had diplomatic relationships with Thailand.

"I regard those countries as long-time allies, and not enemies. We may have problems today but in the future we still have to be good with one another. There is still trade and investment between the countries. Politics is another matter," he said during the programme "Returning Happiness to People in the Country".

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Thai-Sino-military-embrace-30253581.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-07

Great move Thailand and the State Dept in Washington will be in crisis mode. Ya Boo Sucks To You, see, you can't wound Thai hearts and get away with it.

I wonder if the junta who are rushing into this new best friend relationship with indecent haste have really thought it all through ?

Oops, smack on the wrist for not remembering, THIS IS THAILAND 1

• Like 1

I think I just heard the fat lady sing. Reminds me of when the U.S. used the Mujahideen during the Soviets' foray into Afghanistan. A loose cannon despot snuggling up to the commies can't be tolerated. The corporate and strategic interests of the United States are being threatened. You do the math.

I think I just heard the fat lady sing. Reminds me of when the U.S. used the Mujahideen during the Soviets' foray into Afghanistan. A loose cannon despot snuggling up to the commies can't be tolerated. The corporate and strategic interests of the United States are being threatened. You do the math.

No need to do any calculations since I'm not a math whiz.

I don't know any more than what I read. I'm not intimate friends with the major players of either country and I'm not able to see into the future.

Last I heard, the fat lady was on a diet and doing very well.

• Like 1

Out with the old, in with the new:

Obama's Appearance at India's Republic Day Sends ...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would imagine very few participants on either side could pronounce the word, "Strike".

How about the word "occupied?" I expect to see Chinese troops stationed in Thailand before the next elections - to assist the Junta in the event of any internal "strife."

Marry in haste and Divorce at leisure. This is going to be a very one sided partnership with Thailand kidding themselves that they are in control.

I don't see that the americans give any control to the Thais either. Don't you see the Americans trying to control who runs this country?

They have a very clear goal in mind, and the welfare of the Thai people is not high on their priority list.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would imagine very few participants on either side could pronounce the word, "Strike".

How about the word "occupied?" I expect to see Chinese troops stationed in Thailand before the next elections - to assist the Junta in the event of any internal "strife."

Do you really think the Generals would invite Chinese troops into Thailand? Also, do you really think the Thai military can't handle internal strife?

• Like 1

I believe you are correct.

And I would add.....

There is more than one faction within the armed services in Thailand. A return to parliamentary democracy is not necessarily the only way to shunt Prayuth's clique into the wings.

A post baiting other posters has been removed. A profane post has been removed.

A post in which the quoted content had been altered has been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

and in how many countries did China do something like that in the past?

Zero?

I have a feeling that Thailand is going to regret this, very badly.

You are naive!

Sure you also think Merkel works for Germany, Obama for USA?

Hint hint: Politicians aren't selfless people who want the best for the country, but are sometimes misguided.

I have a feeling that Thailand is going to regret this, very badly.

You are naive!

Sure you also think Merkel works for Germany, Obama for USA?

Hint hint: Politicians aren't selfless people who want the best for the country, but are sometimes misguided.

I am naive? Do you really think that the Chinese are just going to pop up here, build their railway at preferential interest rates, not get any long term management control, provide military assistance freely to the Thais and just act like completely silent partners during this daliance allowing Thailand to apparently bend them over and give them one, because the Thais think they can?