How Is Bangkok Bank?

I bank with Bangkok Bank and when I need money, I just go inside the bank, give them my debit card, and withdraw whatever i need.

There is never a charge by the bank. My US bank used to charge $1.50 for each transaction. That was great, but then they started charging a 1% foreign exchange rate. Then it increased to 2% . Now its at 3%!

I dont know what an ACH transfer is. Is that something I would benifit from?

How much can you withdraw with your debit card? Actually, since you went inside the bank in persons, you should be able to withdraw whatever you want, and is probably isn't a debit card transaction right?

He would be limited to whatever daily transaction limit applies to his debit card....the "card-issuing" bank determines that and varies widely from card-issuing to card-issuing bank as to what limits they set. You would need to contact your card-issuing bank to see what your limits are. The Thai bank does not charge a fee like they do with their ATM...you get the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate which is plus or minus a few stang of the Thai bank TT Buying Rate using for incoming wire transfers....but of course you will still have any foreign transaction fee/cash advance fee charged by your "card-issuing" bank like the 3% ziodnick mentions his card-issuing bank now charges. I expect the Thai bank may have some upper limit of transactions they will do for a foreign debit/card, but from ThaiVisa posts I read of some people who have high daily limits (i.e., like $10K USD for some cards linked to brokerage accounts vs bank accouts) from their card-issuing bank it's really not an issue...pretty much you can get whatever amount your "card-issuing" bank will allow per day/per transaction with the debit/credit card.

But in many cases like say the Schwab "debit" card it's $1,000 per day via ATM or counter/teller withdrawal--remember, that's limit is set by Schwab and not the bank you happen to be doing the counter withdrawal at. It's called a counter/teller withdrawal using your debit card or credit card...some people refer to it as a cash advance which technically is what its called when using a credit card because you are getting an advance against your line of credit....but for a debit card it's just a withdrawal from your bank or brokerage account the card is linked to.

I use a Pentagon Federal Credit Union "credit" card to do counter cash advances (no cash advance fee or foreign transaction fee on PenFed credit cards) which has a daily cash advance limit of $2,000 at a teller and/or $1,000 at an ATM....I then pay off the cash advance same day via PenFed ibanking to avoid any interest charge. I use the PenFed credit card vs Scwhab debt card because the Bangkok Bank branch I use will not do a card teller withdrawal for a debit card (they just point you to their ATM), but will gladly do it for a credit card....it varies among Thai bank branches as to whether they will do a counter withdrawal using a debit and/or credit card....plus, it actually works out better with the PenFed card since I can draw $2,000 vs only $1,000 with the Schwab debit card...less trips to the bank to do counter withdrawals. I still use my Schwab debit card in Thai bank ATMs since Schwab reimburses ATM fees, but I do try to do sparingly to avoid helping to kill the Golden Reimbursement Goose.

• Like 1

I've been with Bangkok Bank 10+ years and never a problem. The only issue that occurs down the road is when you replace a passport. If they are still using your old passport number it can cause all sorts of problems. When passport renewal time comes along, make sure to update it at the bank ASAP.

Langsuan Man's suggestion to open your account at a shopping mall branch is a good one; much wider range of operating hours.

What sort of problems will you have if you don't update your new passport number?

Suspect he was trying to make a OTC withdrawal and ID passport did not match records - it is not a problem normally if at your own branch and I never update until apply for new passbook and they notice so make new copies and have me sign for update. Many are not aware that passport numbers change as the Thai ID number does not.

anyone got any info on dealing with krung thai bank. occasionally have entered their banks and they seem ok but havent ever opened with them.

thinking further have enter a couple of other ktb branches wanting to buy travelers cheques and they then change demeanor and treat you as though you are trying to rob the place at gunpoint.

Edited by rabid old goat

anyone got any info on dealing with krung thai bank. occasionally have entered their banks and they seem ok but havent ever opened with them.

Fairly limited experience. When my position was changed to working for the Thai government a few years ago they required me to have an account with them as it is a government bank. Opening the account was easy and friendly enough. When I went in I was approached and informed them that I wished to open an account. He asked if I had a Non-immigrant visa and I handed over my work permit and all smiles.

I got an ATM card which I have never used and internet banking on the spot. That is the only time I've been there. When my salary is automatically deposited I connect and transfer it right away to my Bangkok Bank account where I do all my online transactions. Their Internet banking page, though works well enough, looks like it was made at a toy factory or a game writer. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I've been with Bangkok Bank 10+ years and never a problem. The only issue that occurs down the road is when you replace a passport. If they are still using your old passport number it can cause all sorts of problems. When passport renewal time comes along, make sure to update it at the bank ASAP.

Langsuan Man's suggestion to open your account at a shopping mall branch is a good one; much wider range of operating hours.

What sort of problems will you have if you don't update your new passport number?

The possible problems can vary.

One problem is if you already have ibanking and lets say just one account (or more). That account(s) in ibanking is linked to the passport number you had when opening the account. Ok, you get a new passport number and also open a new account....that account will be linked to your new passport number. When you try to add that new account to your ibanking it will not add...an error will occur. The error is because the Bangkok Bank ibanking sees "two" passports numbers for you which could indicate fraudulent activity. To get the new account added to your ibanking so you can use it for ibanking transactions you will need to update your passport number with the bank to get all your accounts linked to just "one" passport number. Happened to me...I couldn't add a new account with the passport number mismatch, but I had already went to the various branches where I had accounts to update my passport number but I still couldn't add the new account. After contacting the Bangkok Bank Call Center they told me of the mismatch...what happened is one branch made a one digit typo when entering my new passport number into the system...I had to go back to that branch to get them to correct their error and issue a new passbook (the 2nd time)....I could then add the new account to my ibanking. Yeap, having a passport mismatch in the system can cause issues with Bangkok Bank ibanking.

Also, on that the back page of your bank passbook where you signature is contained and only seen under a blacklight it also has your passport number there...once again only seen under the blacklight. If going to a branch and doing a withdrawal and the eagle eye tell spots a mismatch between the passport number on your passbook and your current passport, they may not allow the withdrawal feeling it may be a fraudulent transaction.

I'm sure there are other problems that can pop up due to passport number mismatch...and of course they will popup at the worst possible time...that's one of Murphy's Laws.

• Like 1

Fairly limited experience. When my position was changed to working for the Thai government a few years ago they required me to have an account with them as it is a government bank. Opening the account was easy and friendly enough. When I went in I was approached and informed them that I wished to open an account. He asked if I had a Non-immigrant visa and I handed over my work permit and all smiles.

I got an ATM card which I have never used and internet banking on the spot. That is the only time I've been there. When my salary is automatically deposited I connect and transfer it right away to my Bangkok Bank account where I do all my online transactions. Their Internet banking page, though works well enough, looks like it was made at a toy factory or a game writer. biggrin.png

The wife has a Krung Thai account because she had to get one to receive a certain govt payments. Their ibanking is pretty basic and the few branches the wife and I have dealt with have very little English capability.

Can I withdraw money from Bangkok Bank when I get back to the USA? Can I write myself a check and deposit it in one of my other USA banks or can I use my Bangkok Bank Debit card here in the USA? I am asking because I can envision me having to take some money back from Thailand.

Just went there today to open an account. They didn't like my Non-B visa and said, "Work permit.....or if you have Thai friend support you, OK"

I shall go back either with my Thai friend or my WP, when i get it coffee1.gif

Your Bangkok Bank account will be passbook savings (no checks) unless you are working here with permit (and even then checks are almost never used for anything but business). Card can be used internationally.

they have different cards. not all are international. check with them which one you have.

card is not the most effective way to transfer money internationally. the fees are horrendous if you are moving big dollars.