The Teachers' Council of Thailand distributed on January 19, 2015

Benz4me

* The Teachers' Council of Thailand distributed on January 19, 2015 following “Information for foreign
teachers” Dated 27/10/2557. We quote:

Thank you for your interest in teaching in Thailand. Foreign teachers must obtain the following
document in advance before the next round of requesting for a 2-year teaching permit:

An original official degree confirmation letter for graduates of university/college. The letter
from the university/college shall be on the official headed paper of the college and clearly
confirm that you have successfully completed your course, including the classification you
receive, the dates of attendance and graduation. This letter must bear an original
university/college seal or stamp and signature of the Registrar sent in a sealed envelope with
the university/College's stamp. Void if envelope is opened prior to receipt

The confirmation letter must be sent to the Teachers' Council of Thailand address, as provided above.

Please note:

1. Without the above requested document, your application may not be processed.
2. Forging or using forced documents may lead to imprisonment or a fine.
(Offences Relating to Documents as provided in Section 264 and 268, Thailand Penal Code).

Universities in the UK will not send any confidential things such as personal details contained in a letter outside of the European Union and certainly not to Thailand. It is European Law. They will send it however to your UK address. As is usual the TCT did not take the time to find this out.

Even if I could be arsed asking for such a letter, it wouldn't be possible. Even if they gave me such a letter and it was sent to the TCT, what happens when TCT says they didn't get it? That they have mislaid it and can I get another one? It's just more nonsense one after another. A transcript should be sufficient.

I have told my school, change my job title or I am gone. Apparently a degree, a TEFL, a Thai Culture Course, 6 years teaching experience and currently studying for an MBA still isn't good enough to talk with Thai students. What part of "we are not teachers' does TCT not understand? We are NES, that's it. We don't teach any other subjects and we don't give test scores that effect students real scores. blink.png

• Like 2

That's old news...and is not being enforced everywhere. Stop being a scare monger.

I would not say anywhere. My school group (International / EP / ESC programmes all require said paperwork). Many of our teachers who are long stay are starting to register for their PGCEi qualifications to deal with the possibility of being refused temp. licenses in the future.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's old news...and is not being enforced everywhere. Stop being a scare monger.

Scare monger? You mean someone should be scared of they had to prove they had a degree?

Not at all. It's the hassle involved...not to mention that they wanted the letter sent DIRECTLY to The Teacher's Council. A recipe for disaster.

Just got my 3rd waiver a week ago. Nary a whisper about a verification letter.

This is all well documented and has been hashed to bits on other teaching forums. Just another TCT pie in the sky.

Edited by Fullstop

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Scare monger? You mean someone should be scared of they had to prove they had a degree?

Not at all. It's the hassle involved...not to mention that they wanted the letter sent DIRECTLY to The Teacher's Council. A recipe for disaster.

Just got my 3rd waiver a week ago. Nary a whisper about a verification letter.

This is all well documented and has been hashed to bits on other teaching forums. Just another TCT pie in the sky.

It's common practice in most industries which require degrees, and especially so in academia, to require official transcripts, or other proof of graduation, be sent directly to the employing/certifying entity by the degree granting institution.

• Like 1

I would not say anywhere. My school group (International / EP / ESC programmes all require said paperwork). Many of our teachers who are long stay are starting to register for their PGCEi qualifications to deal with the possibility of being refused temp. licenses in the future.

And when they get that pgce,

They are more than likely to leave their 45,000 baht job for an international school that pays 80,000 per month with holiday pay and all sorts of other benefits. Or go home and teach for triple what they make here. With benefits. Tct just need to understand. You get cheap nes that are not teachers.

Or expensive nes that are teachers.

Or cheap Phily that are teachers.

Tct must learn. You don't get your cake and eat it. ?

• Like 1

Universities in the UK will not send any confidential things such as personal details contained in a letter outside of the European Union and certainly not to Thailand. It is European Law. They will send it however to your UK address. As is usual the TCT did not take the time to find this out.

Even if I could be arsed asking for such a letter, it wouldn't be possible. Even if they gave me such a letter and it was sent to the TCT, what happens when TCT says they didn't get it? That they have mislaid it and can I get another one? It's just more nonsense one after another. A transcript should be sufficient.

I have told my school, change my job title or I am gone. Apparently a degree, a TEFL, a Thai Culture Course, 6 years teaching experience and currently studying for an MBA still isn't good enough to talk with Thai students. What part of "we are not teachers' does TCT not understand? We are NES, that's it. We don't teach any other subjects and we don't give test scores that effect students real scores. blink.png

That's right. they really should read their laws on informal educators. People can teach informally if they have a good knowledge in their field. As long as they are not contribute to the grading that is necessary to go to a higher level of study. We are not teachers. But have a valuable resource needed for the better development of thai future . Job title could be.

English consultant. Eng support.

A new challenge for all Khao San Road Degree Mills. A One Stop Service with loads of others offers like sex toys, fake brains, degrees in education from the well- known univerisity of Buae/ Cameroon, the license to shit inside the woods in the north, plus other bonuses.

. Enough chicks make it to "Thang Pratheet" just to find the rich right guy and stray around there forever.

A fake fuc....aehh facebook account with the needed contact details will do the rest. Son, I've always told you that fiercecebook sucks. coffee1.gif

The bottom line is they dont want foreign teachers here and will do every thing in their power to stop them. Most schools dont want EFL teachers either, to them its just an inconvenience or some sort of money making scam. The students dont care one way or the other, if they have a good teacher they enjoy it but most are pre programmed by the Thai teachers that English is a crap subject and not worry too much about it. That is a big generalisation, there are exceptions but pretty few and far between. How many schools have you seen where the head of the English program is a Thai who can hardly speak a word of English. Its typical Thai, looking good is important never mind the substance. I feel sorry for the parents who are conned out of their hard earned money to pay for the English program and the students who miss out on a genuine opportunity to learn something useful.

Please don't be so hard on them. These Thai Bashing Posts on TVF.......

Most of our Thai English teachers pronounce Sa- pa -ghetti almost perfectly. That should be enough.

Edited by lostinisaan

/sigh Every time that they make things more difficult, it just decreases my motivation to continue teaching (Or at least, to continue teaching legally).

But in saying that, I went to my university's website, and it seems that they've got a system in place for sending either official letters or transcripts, and it'll only cost me about 1000 THB lol (Or double that if I want it couriered). I can even apply online. So maybe this is something which is requested regularly by various different organisations etc, and maybe we shouldn't be getting our knickers in a knot over it lol.

No doubt once it does arrive though, krusapa will screw something up with it, and require me to send another copy lol. Or will simply take so long to find it, that I'll be without my teacher's licence/WP for months.

We usually have no problem, as long as there is a transcript and it is from an approved institution of higher learning.

Teachers from some countries have been called to the TCT for an interview, including one from Cameroon. His degree is real and he is a fully qualified teacher. He has now been given a full Teacher's License.

However, my non native colleagues tend to be able to get a verification letter no problem...closely followed by their TL rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-siBMq

The bottom line is they dont want foreign teachers here and will do every thing in their power to stop them. Most schools dont want EFL teachers either, to them its just an inconvenience or some sort of money making scam. The students dont care one way or the other, if they have a good teacher they enjoy it but most are pre programmed by the Thai teachers that English is a crap subject and not worry too much about it. That is a big generalisation, there are exceptions but pretty few and far between. How many schools have you seen where the head of the English program is a Thai who can hardly speak a word of English. Its typical Thai, looking good is important never mind the substance. I feel sorry for the parents who are conned out of their hard earned money to pay for the English program and the students who miss out on a genuine opportunity to learn something useful.

Most of our Thai English teachers pronounce Sa- pa -ghetti almost perfectly. That should be enough.

I agree with lostinisaan on this.

Our Thai English teacher is actually not very good at listening comprehension so I have to talk to her in Thai, but she is so proud she will answer

me in broken English with a strong Thai accent. She proudly told me she had been selected one of the best English teachers of the province. She's

a nice woman, though.

As for how my kids pronounce *Spaghetti,* they'll place the stress on the last syllable, which I have to correct for them. I love them, though.

Edited by Too
  • Like 1

I agree with lostinisaan on this.

Our Thai English teacher is actually not very good at listening comprehension so I have to talk to her in Thai, but she is so proud she will answer

me in broken English with a strong Thai accent. She proudly told me she had been selected one of the best English teachers of the province. She's

a nice woman, though.

As for how my kids pronounce *Spaghetti,* they'll place the stress on the last syllable, which I have to correct for them. I love them, though.

What a surprise......at least I'm not alone. Whenever the whole English teaching staff at my school has a meeting...it's always conducted in Thai.

If English teachers are scared shirtless to speak English, afraid to make a mistake, how should they be able to teach the kids in English? .

And blaming us at the same time, that the students do not understand our English.

• Like 1

Yes. I had to fill in for a math class for G. 7 on Friday and I am completely unable to teach math at that level -- at least what they were doing. They are nice class, but very poor in English, so we did a reading exercise. When I finished I put up the word 'photograph' and then 'photographer'. I pronounced them, but it was hard for them. We had great fun, though. They all had to stand up and if they could say it correctly, they got to sit down.

I told them on Monday I'd test them again. Several of them were walking around trying to make sure they could say them correctly.

A lot of the problem is that their Thai teachers teach them by writing phonetics in Thai. Or, even if the Thai teachers don't give them Thai script phonetics, that's how the Thai teacher learnt and so the students mimic the teacher, thinking that the pronunciation is correct.

It was quite funny when I was helping with my school's skit, and I corrected the students on something, and got them to practice saying the word correctly. Then one of the Thai teachers arrived, and started trying to tell them that they were saying it wrong, and to revert to her method (which was how they'd originally been saying it).

I had to be very polite in order to avoid her losing too much face lol.

But back on topic, has anyone had an NES teacher's licence declined because of this new rule?

As sometimes they have rules which technically apply to everyone, but in practice are aimed at particular groups of people whom they have had problems with.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The usual old scaremongering. If a school wants you, they take you.
I'm on my school's committee and all we have to do is tick a box (if we want to hire someone)

Also, most schools in Chonburi pay off the authorities if they don't want regular visits/checks.