Trip report non-B visa from Thai embassy in Singapore - new rules

Here's a report from my recent (Feb 2nd 2015) trip to Singapore to obtain a single entry business visa.

The Thai embassy in Singapore has until recently been the only one in the region which approved non-B's without having to file a WP3 from the Ministry of Labour (or the equivalent letter from BOI). With new rules effective from Feb 2nd 2015 this is no longer possible. The new rules where posted on the embassy website three (3) business days prior to being effective.

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-b

In short, this means that a work permit application has to be filed and proof of such approved application has to be presented when applying for the non-B. Apart from this, the requirements are highly simplified, as the previously required stack of paper can be reduced to about ten pages (except for teachers and some other categories that are subject to additional requirements, see above link).

Not surprisingly, a lot of people where dismissed on Feb 2nd, the first day of the new rules being enforced. The embassy visa staff interrupted their work a number of times to give a short speech on the new rules and pointing towards a wall poster listing them. My estimation is that more than 50% where dismissed on that day while I was there. On a positive note, the embassy does not accept applications unless they confirm that all the paper work is complete. So if the application is accepted and the fee is paid one can be pretty sure to pick up the passport with the visa on the next day. This also prevents from rejections being stamped into the passport.

Apart from these important changes, the embassy has introduced a queue ticket system and applicants no longer have to stand in a physical queue once inside the embassy. The queue outside prior to opening at 9.15 is the same but not really a problem the few times I have visited the embassy.

I had a prior single entry non-B in my passport and had to obtain a new one since I'm changing employer and my new one is under BOI regulations (my previous one was under MoL). As expected, immigration at Suvarnabhumi was not happy to see two consecutive 90 day non-B's and I was taken aside and was given the opportunity to explain the situation to a supervisor. Very hard since I don't speak Thai and I was saved by pulling out my new employment contract for a major company familiar to most Thais.

General lessons learned from this trip: 1) Always check the embassy website prior to leaving (I did, but many did not), rules can change practically from day to day. 2) Always be prepared with supporting documentation for the event of being challenged by immigration upon returning to Thailand.

• Like 1

errr why are back to back Bs a problem?

This is the 1st report I can recall of somebody having a problem on entry.for back to back non-b's.

Possibly because of a suspicion a person was working without a work permit.

This would suggest that you are right Ubon;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/774742-information-technology-networking/?view=findpost&p=8640747

What is the fail if you have gone to the extent of getting the non B, why not go the permit. Or is it the corporate requirements don't kick in until you make that application?/

As mentioned some months back heard a rumour kicking about where I work that a WP is some shape or form will be required for every Non-B even if its a temporary WP if you are visiting ans customer or supplier in Thailand

apprantly they are getting fed up of people working without WP's on just the "B's" and people who are "falsely" claming to be exploring business prospects in Thailand with a view to opening a business and abuse this visa type to live in Thailand long term.

As stated this a is rumour and rumour only

• Like 1

Is the Sing embassy still rude?

I was there for T visa and everything was fine, but other people who applied for B visa got some real unfriendly things.

I was there in December and they were anything but rude. Extremely friendly with me.

This is the 1st report I can recall of somebody having a problem on entry.for back to back non-b's.

Consecutive 90 day non-Bs without an extension of stay might be a problem, but not 1-year multiple non-Bs issued consecutively. However, since Singapore doesn't issue those anyway (except maybe to Singaporeans?) this is a moot point as most of us would have to go to a western country to be issued with one.

This would suggest that you are right Ubon;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/774742-information-technology-networking/?view=findpost&p=8640747

1. Not that it's any of your business "big", but I have followed all laws and regulations. You might need to read up on the regulations for work permits when changing employment from companies regulated by MoL vs BoI. I mean if actual facts are of any interest to you.

2. I posted the trip report for one simple reason, to pay forward help received on this forum and to be helpful to people in the same situation given the new rules enforced by the Thai Embassy in Singapore. But obviously it's not possible to avoid comments from people that have far too much time on their hands and immediately start prying into my life and fabricate unfounded accusations on matters they have no clue about. It's truly sad and makes one highly reluctant to share anything here.

Edited by ThailandLOS
  • Like 1

Is the Sing embassy still rude?

I was there for T visa and everything was fine, but other people who applied for B visa got some real unfriendly things.

I never had any problem with them, but know that they can come across as quite harsh at times. On the other hand I don't envy their job, checking applications from foreigners doing the same mistakes day in and day out.

The officer on duty asked if I had a WP and couldn't understand why I couldn't transfer the one from my previous employer (and my Thai is not sufficient to explain).

Just on the subject of immigration taking an interest in WP's came through swampy last night ( I am on an extension with a WP, so no worries about the legality) but on handing over the PP to immigration was asked do I work in Thailand ?, answer "yes," and you know this as the companies name is written by my reentry permit......next question do have your WP with you ?....."yes officer would you like to see it ?".....yes please ?

Looked at the WP and pp chopped as normal with no further comment or question

So it seems they do pay attention