Suse 10 New Install - Internet/lan Connection Problem

Thom_aF

I have recently installed Suse 10 on a formerly Win XP machine. I installed a new HD and a fresh install of Suse. I am using Gnome. I have disabled the firewall in order to resolve this problem. I want to set this up as a Samba file server for my windows network. I do not use AD just a workgroup. Here is the problem:

I can pin the eth0 card at 192.168.0.105

I can ping 127.0.0.1

But I can not ping the router or any other computer on the network. My Windows computers also can not find or ping the new linus box. I am not a linux guru at all but I checked what looked like any network related items and can not access the lan or the Internet.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

hi'

did you check your Samba status, the network group name of all machines?

did you allow a outgoing ping inside the network?

the problem seems to come from Samba, it has to be well configured.

take a look at the help for samba inside the samba folder :o

francois

hi'

francois

Francois,

Thanks so much for the reply.

• What am I checking for in the Samba status?
  • I did check the group name for two of my computers, but I should still be able to ping the router even if that was wrong shouldn't I?
  • I don't know what you mean when you ask
    "did you allow a outgoing ping inside the network?"
    My WinXP computer can ping the router but not the Linux box. Can you help me understand what you are asking?
  • Now that you mention it, I think I did have Internet acess prior to my attempt to set up Samba. I followed an online tutorial to do that. What settings could be causing this type of problem?

Some points to look for, Linux is not the only one ho uses firewalls, Windows XP now-a-days also has a firewall. Be sure that the firewall on the Windows computers can accept the request from the Linux computer.

Second, my experience with Linux & Windows combination networking it is much easier if you setup all the computers to have a static (fixed) IP address. This makes settingup the firewall and Samba client / server much easier to understand.

After you can ping all the computers in the network you can setup the Samba client / server. I can give you one tip, before you start editing samba config files, you can test the sharing of folder on the Windows machines by opening "Computer" on your desktop, select under "file" "Open Location", if it is right you get something like "computer://" if you change this to "smb://192.168.1.4/Documents" (IP address probably have to change to what you use on a Windows system, and Documents is the share name of the Windows share, maybe also have to change)

If you can connect to a Windows share you can be sure that your Samba client is already working, only need to setup some short cuts and up you go to setup the server.

Seems to me that this has nothing to do with Samba, you don't have basic LAN connectivity between the Linux box and the rest of the LAN. It could be firewalls getting in the way, although I don't think that the XPSP2 f/w blocks pings from the same LAN.

Please open a terminal window (as root) and copy/paste the result of the following commands:

ifconfig -a

iptables-save (no space before the minus)

Where do all these boxes on your LAN (including the Linux one) get their IP addresses allocated from? do you have an ADSL router on your LAN?

--Lannig

ifconfig -a

eth0

Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0A:E6:CB:7C:D9

inet addr:192.168.0.105 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: fe80::20a:e6ff:fecb"7cd9/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:504 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:148 (148.0 :o TX bytes:102384 (99.9 Kb)

Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc00

lo

Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask 225.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:119 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:119 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:9211 (8.9 Kb) TX bytes:9211 (8.9 Kb)

sit0

Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4

NOARP MTUL1480 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0b) TX bytes:0 (0.0b)

iptables-save

yielded no response

Also,

I have set my ip addresses manually for the linux machine and I have turned off DHCP on the router.

The ip addresses that are in play here are:

Linux - 192.168.0.105

WinXP - 192.168.0.100

Router - 192.168.0.1

Gateway - 192.168.0.1

Subnet - 255.255.255.0

I have not yet added the other two computers. I am waiting to get this working first.

I have disabled the firewall on the Linux computer and on the WinXP computer. I can not completely turn off the firewall on the router but I have opened the ports that I thought were necessary. But I can not ping the router from the linux computer. I can ping it from the WinXP computer but not from the Linux computer. So in summary, the WinXP computer is connecting to the router and then to the Internet, but the Linux computer can not reach the router.

Edited by Thom_aF

Maybe time to check the (Ethernet) cable, also for testing you can try some lower IP addresses.

Some routers need extra setting if client IP addresses go to high, some router not support high numbers at all, and other have no problem what so ever. Most ADSL-router today on the market are SOHO (Small Office-Home Office) ADSL router, designed to connect 4 or 5 computer together.

But still, I would start to test with IP addresses closer to home, 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 ......etc

I can remember that I installed a network and I had the idea to give everybody a IP address to the room number they where in. Room 130, or in that case IP address 10.0.0.130 was not able to see anything on the network. The router did not accepted IP addresses higher then XXX.XXX.XXX.128

Richard: the IP range issue would apply to traffic to/from the Internet, but not to local pings. In that situation

the ADSL router is just a layer 2 switch.

You probably have a good point about checking Ethernet cables. Based on the information we have here, I really think

that the Linux box can't talk to the LAN, or more precisely can't receive from it.

Only two received packets for 148 bytes if "ifconfig" output seems waaaaay too low, even if only a few ping tests have been done. And this would count packets later blocked by a firewall, so firewall probably isn't the issue.

Thom: for me you have either a bad cable or a bad port you connect to or a Linux driver problem if that LAN

card was working fine under exactly the same configuration under Winblows. Do you know what kind of hardware

this LAN card is? on-board or PCI? if on-board, what m/b brand and model? if PCI, what brand and model? can you post the output of the "lsmod" command please?

Greets,

--Lannig

Richard and Lannig,

Thanks so much for your help. I will check those things out as soon as I can get to the machine. I only have a limited amount of time to devote to this as the other more "urgent" things need attention.

Thanks again,

Thom

Via /System /Yast/ Software Manager make sure that Knetworkmanager is installed.

Then Via System / Yast / Security / Firewall turnoff the firewall and set the firewall to manual start up.

Then Via System / Yast / Network Devices / Network Card set to User Controlled via Network Manager then next, set to Auto or static (Usually Auto is best) but static is OK as well (If you get it right). On the general tab set Device Activation to boot time and also tick the user controlled box, at this point you can confirm that the Firewall is off as well, then next, then next again then finish.

When you reboot you should then see an icon (Network manager) on the tool bar confirming the connection.

That should then get it all going however remember that "Ping" responses can be disabled, but generally are enabled by default.

Hope that helps

Edited by sunstate

Guest Reimar

The Cable can be a big problem.

I've a similar problem in a corporate Network. There we use Fedora Linux.

Some computer was able to connect to the server, some not. The Internet wasn't accessible from the server. and so on.

Than we strated to check the cable and after 2 days we found out the problems: Uncorrect switching of the LanCable.

If I talk about switching don't mean Cross ovber Cable. To explain what I mean take a look on the Pictture:

There are three (3) different code standards for LanCable. After we used only one, in our case 568 B, every thing was Ok!

May you can solve the problem on this way.

hi'

francois

Francois,

Thanks so much for the reply.

• What am I checking for in the Samba status?
  • I did check the group name for two of my computers, but I should still be able to ping the router even if that was wrong shouldn't I?
  • I don't know what you mean when you ask
    "did you allow a outgoing ping inside the network?"
    My WinXP computer can ping the router but not the Linux box. Can you help me understand what you are asking?
  • Now that you mention it, I think I did have Internet acess prior to my attempt to set up Samba. I followed an online tutorial to do that. What settings could be causing this type of problem?

as everyone said, check cables ...

it looks like that you Linux box cannot communicate with the routeur or the switch ...

should be quite easy, change network cables for a brand new one and see if

there is a difference :D

francois

Thank you everyone for the help. as you suggested I checked the cables. Since the cables are run behind everything and had been run years ago, I was unaware that whoever installed that cable had joined two together with a connector. I removed the connector and ran a straight cable and IT WORKED!

Some times it is the easy things that I should check first. Thanks again for all the help.

NOW I can't get Samba to let me create login users and passwords. All my Winblows boxes see the Samba server, but they can't log into it. I have used:

smbpasswd [user] -a

Then it propts for the new samba password, which I enter twice. I then get an error message that there was a failure to create the password and that the [user] could not be found. So I then created a Linux user and password that matches my XP login, and tried it again. Now I received a little different error. Now it says something about a SAM error. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

(Sorry I don't have the exact error message. I had to get to something else quickly and didn't write it down. I will try it again later and post the whole message.)

Then it propts for the new samba password, which I enter twice. I then get an error message that there was a failure to create the password and that the [user] could not be found. So I then created a Linux user and password that matches my XP login, and tried it again. Now I received a little different error. Now it says something about a SAM error. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Isn't Linux just amazing? Who needs any other means to occupy sparetime than making a Linux based LAN work properly? (Just a thought, after having spent half a year of sparetime on trying to accomplish that ... and now I've come to the point, where it all is well - except that the Samba-issue has been postphoned to be the second last step - which I'm ready to begin tomorrow {if I get the sparetime}) ...

Thank you everyone for the help. as you suggested I checked the cables. Since the cables are run behind everything and had been run years ago, I was unaware that whoever installed that cable had joined two together with a connector. I removed the connector and ran a straight cable and IT WORKED!

Some times it is the easy things that I should check first. Thanks again for all the help.

NOW I can't get Samba to let me create login users and passwords. All my Winblows boxes see the Samba server, but they can't log into it. I have used:

smbpasswd [user] -a

I think that the proper syntax is "smbpasswd -a <user>" (-a option before the username) but it may work either way.

Then it propts for the new samba password, which I enter twice. I then get an error message that there was a failure to create the password and that the [user] could not be found.

You're running this as root, right?

Anyway yes, there must be a matching username in /etc/passwd first.

So I then created a Linux user and password that matches my XP login, and tried it again. Now I received a little different error. Now it says something about a SAM error. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

(Sorry I don't have the exact error message. I had to get to something else quickly and didn't write it down. I will try it again later and post the whole message.)

Please. I'm sure that I can point you at a fix if you post the complete error message.

I'll assume that's not

Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user foobar. Does this user exist in the UNIX password database ?
Failed to modify password entry for user foobar

because that would mean that the user still isn't properly entered into /etc/passwd.

--Lannig

Is there a way to set up Samba to NOT require a password? That would really be better for this application. Then I can map a network drive to each Winblows box and it can simply be seen by its drive letter.

Is that possible or am I dreaming?

Is there a way to set up Samba to NOT require a password? That would really be better for this application. Then I can map a network drive to each Winblows box and it can simply be seen by its drive letter.

Is that possible or am I dreaming?

I got it working! Thanks for all the help from everyone. If anyone else needs some Samba setup info, I got it from this website: http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/samba.htm

Thanks again to all!