28 Burmese migrants rescued from suffocating truck with Surat Thani plate

Lite Beer

28 Burmese migrants rescued from suffocating truck with Surat Thani plate

illegal-migrants.jpg

SURAT: -- Twenty-eight illegal Burmese migrants were rescued from the back of a poorly ventilated pickup truck in Thailand’s Chumphon province and their two alleged traffickers arrested, police said.

illegal migrantsHighway police searched a modified Isuzu pickup with a Surat Thani license plate at a checkpoint on Phetkasem Road in the Wang Phai district of this southern province at about 6.30pm on Wednesday.

Inside they found 20 men and 8 women packed in the back of the vehicle, which was modified into a container with one ventilation hole. Most of the Burmese [Myanmar] migrants appeared exhausted.

Driver Chaiyut Cherdram, 34, of Ranong province, and another Burmese man sitting in the front were also caught.

Pol Maj Supat Chotkraisin, inspector of Highway Police Station 4 in Chumphon said the illegal migrants were transported perilously and faced a risk of suffocation.

Police said Mr Chaiyut told them he had been hired by a woman identified only as “Jae Nui” to transport the migrants from Ranong province to Surat Thani.

Win, 21, one of the illegal migrants, said all workers had to stand crammed in the back of the vehicle, which was dark and poorly ventilated. Women stood near the ventilation hole and they took turns with others to breathe through the narrow space to survive, he said

All were taken to the Highway Police Station 4 for further legal proceedings. Police would extend the investigation to arrest those involved in the trafficking of illegals.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-02-07

• Like 1

Good. I admire the Burmese, such hard working and friendly people when I've encountered them here.

They deserve better than how they are currently treated, as slaves and scapegoats for murders.

And I do admire the Thai authorities trying to rescue them from the hands of human traffickers and may be death.

Except when they are the one's trafficking them or framing them for murder.

Well done in told case. But they need an internal crackdown is really needed.

What is the current penalty for people smuggling?

I do hope that the criminals caught will get a lot of

jail time, as it is not a good place to spend your days.

The meals keep you alive, and the bedding is a mat.

If you are Thai then maybe you can get the

occasional newspaper to read, and maybe be lucky enough

to have a relative bring you some decent food and

cigarette, etc. Will these Burmese people have to return to Burma?

Just my musings

These two arrested and named, good. Now when are they going to name the high profile Government Officials and military officers that were arrested, or was that just rubbish lies and government propaganda to try and pull the wool over the eyes of the U.S.

• Like 1