Xanax/alprazolam and insomnia

I have tried to get Xanax at the Pharmacy's in my town in Khon Kaen province and as well in Khon Kaen city.

I like it because it helps me calm and sleep without the usual drugged wake up.

The pharmacy says I need to see the psych. The reason follows;

Apparently the lads can boil this drug down to get a chemical that will give them an ultra high and its cheap.So I am told.

Its interesting its available as per other writers on here have said

I will try harder to get some.

I only like to use it on those sleepless nights and it stops the Vietnam war playing in my head sometimes at night.

I suppose there are other drugs that can work the same but I don't see why I should change something that works just because some pharmacy guy says so.

Xanax is a controlled substance in Thailand and can only legally be obtained from a hospital pharmacy, on prescription.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said this before, but it bears repeating. The drug you mention belongs to the benzodiazepam family, which includes valium, klonopin, alprazolam, clonazepam, rohypnol, etc. While the effects of these drugs seem relatively mild and benign, the withdrawals are quite the opposite. Admittedly, it takes a while to become addicted, but it happened to me. I took large quantities of valium for about 10 years, and then stopped suddenly, because I thought they were not addictive. The results were right out of a horror movie. Decades ago, I was quite a serious drug addict, primarily to heroin and methadone. Those two drugs are very serious to be addicted to. However, the withdrawals from valium made both look like a little girl's birthday party. Heroin withdrawals last for a couple of days to a week or two, in extreme cases. Valium withdrawals, for me, lasted for months. The experience for me was incredibly hideous. I personally would advise not to continue taking this drug.

At this point your post is unbelievable unless you describe the so called hideous withdrawal from Valium which I assume was 10 Mg not the 5Mg. By large quantities??? Prescribed or street purchase??? Also describe the length of your heroin use and again I assume followed by methadone use which BTW is known to be harder to withdraw from than Heroin itself. Insomnia???? >>>>>>>Heroin withdrawals last for a couple of days to a week or two....<<<<<<<TOTAL BS.

I take .5 mg of Xanax nightly along with 600 of gabapentin.

The Neurontin (gabapentin) causes ataxia ( drunken gait) and the Xanax adds to that.

I come off the Xanax every other month for about a week. I find the withdrawal to be minor.

Insomnia and stress were the primary reasons for taking the Xanax, but the synergistic effects when combined with the gabapentin have reduced the nerve pain and the numbness caused by nerve root damage. I can easily sit a motorcycle for hours again.

One thing worth noting, you should never drink when taking any benzo. ( I never take the Xanax on Friday nights) I am serious, don't take it after even one drink.

The active ingredient in Tylenol Pm is Acetaminophen and no longer available in Thailand.

Why? I don't know but I do know the Thai FDA makes it very hard to get certain things over the counter. PM used to be available as was Ambien. No more. Possible reasons: drive the business to hospitals that sell certain non OTC drugs at a higher price. Or possibly, draconian FDA requirements make a small market like Thailand just not worth the trouble. ON the other hand, you can get controversial drugs like the anti inflammatory Acoxia in Thailand but not in the USA. Go figure.

In any case Acetaminophen is not recommended if you drink a lot due to potential liver damage. On the other hand, this warning is also on almost every other drug you need. hehe. Live and Let Die.

Acetaminophen is available in Thailand. It is available otc. They call it paracetamol.

I use all of them, for different reasons, xanax, diazepam, alprazolam and lorazepam. As everybody say, higly adictive.

For the sleep problem, my doctor gave me Mirtazapine , Ir's an antidepresesant, but in dosis of 7 mg, will not make you effect of antidepressant, is not addictive but will give you a very powerfull secondary effect....sleepy. Will sleep all that you want and more. In fact too much, so take only if you have time enought to sleep next day. But the sensation of resting is so pleasant, than I feel wonderfull.

Oh....somebody of here use zolof? or sertralina? if you use, pm me.

I second what everybody has says about Xanax. It's the best available drug for panic disorder but withdrawals are worse than heroin. It's serious hell that lasted for about half a year for me and still had to go back to them but on very low dose. Anyway I don't care, I feel much better being addicted to alprazolam than having those panic attacs. If you suffer from a bad insomnia all these work outs etc. just don't work. Imovane (Zopiclone) works best for me with least withdrawal problems if I can't sleep but it's not available in Thailand. Melatonine can help some but does nothing for me. Taking small doses of Mirtazapine made me gain 10 kilos of weight in less than a month and made me feel like a zombie.

Edited by nemofound

It is "addictive" in the sense that it builds up in your system and after a period of use, it takes more and more of it to do the job. I now have to take four milligrams to get the same effect that one milligram would have given me two years ago. If you wait about six months and get it out of your system, you will be back to square one. I've never had any withdrawal problems, but I will admit that I miss the calm feeling it induces. I have a very high stress situation currently and Xanax does help quite a bit. Just be careful and exercise common sense.

Edited by Jools

Hard to even get Benadryl in Thailand , but one of those mixed with a Dramamine and you'll be out like a light. Yes, xanny is highly addictive and the withdrawal feels like 6 months of anxiety coalescing into an hour. not worth the trap that comes with it

dude, avoid it like the plague. You need to wear out your mind and body with exercise. at 4pm either go to a gym and walk on a machine or ride a bike for 1 hour. You will sleep at 10pm. Do heaps of exercise.

If your a pill popping kind of guy go for melatonin. It works and non adictive

Benzos are bad news -- 2 weeks or more of daily use messes up your CNS. Try Atarax (hydroxyzine). Very safe old school med.

Hmm this hydroxyzine sounds interesting.

I was on benzos for 14 years and never want them or their withdrawals again, but would love to find an anxiolytic I could take on an as needed basis.

I suffer and am pretty limited by agoraphobia.....stuck here in Thailand 11 years now......and would like something to help me break some barriers like getting on planes again.

Any downside to occasional use?

Why for instance is it not for regular use. Too drowsy?

BTW I second use of heavy-as-possible exercise and practise it myself.

Included in that is I do yoga for a half hour late at night.....now available online to follow.

There's one series with water backgrounds which is beginner standard and very soothing to watch with sun and water:

The other thing is to play something like a meditation with soft music background when you wake up.....plenty available on You tube.

If nothing else it will make the waking experience more pleasant.

Edited by cheeryble

Consider seroquel off-label use for insomnia. I'd take 1/4 of a 25mg pill (the smallest pill available) and sleep all night

and/or from Asia to the West coast USA when flying. I purchased it, with prescription, at my local (BKK) hospital.

Good luck!

Agree that Seroquel is a wonder drug for hard core insomnia and it is not addictive.

Usually the insomnia is just a symptom of severe depression or bipolar. It works great for bipolar and will let you sleep like a baby in the meantime.

Seroquel is a serious psychotropic medication with significant side effects and not something to self-prescribe. (It is also a scheduled drug in Thailand).

Most people with insomnia are not bipolar. People who are, need to be under skilled medical supervision.

Occasional insomnia affects everyone from time to time and will resolve on its own. The most common causes of chronic insomnia are anxiety (with or without coexisting depression) and caffeine. The role of the later tends to be underestimated. As people age they often become more sensitive to caffeine and even small amounts can start to affect sleep. Stopping all caffeine and getting more exercise are the first things I would suggest for someone with insomnia. What tends to happen is a vicious cycle of too little sleep followed by morning grogginess followed by caffeine leading to more insomnia etc.

Seroquel is a serious psychotropic medication with significant side effects and not something to self-prescribe. (It is also a scheduled drug in Thailand).

Most people with insomnia are not bipolar. People who are, need to be under skilled medical supervision.

Occasional insomnia affects everyone from time to time and will resolve on its own. The most common causes of chronic insomnia are anxiety (with or without coexisting depression) and caffeine. The role of the later tends to be underestimated. As people age they often become more sensitive to caffeine and even small amounts can start to affect sleep. Stopping all caffeine and getting more exercise are the first things I would suggest for someone with insomnia. What tends to happen is a vicious cycle of too little sleep followed by morning grogginess followed by caffeine leading to more insomnia etc.

What you said about Seroquel is true, however, it is being increasingly used off label for treatment of insomnia and should be considered (with a DR). It obviously has its own potential side effects, but it will not stop working like Benzos will if taken every night.

Not you Sheryl, but people love to jump all over how horrible benzos and sleep aides are. They people generally have no understanding of what Insomnia can do to a person both mentally ad physically. Not being able to sleep night after night will absolutely wreck a person.

Xanax is good when i have to socialize. Take 1/2 and can talk to anyone. Mixed with a few beers its quite nice. As for sleeping i only use it on a plane. If u take it for more than three nights in a row your insomnia will be worse when u dont take it. I strongly recomend only taking it occasionly to sleep. Cycling is the best cure for insomnia for me.

Xanax is good when i have to socialize. Take 1/2 and can talk to anyone. Mixed with a few beers its quite nice. As for sleeping i only use it on a plane. If u take it for more than three nights in a row your insomnia will be worse when u dont take it. I strongly recomend only taking it occasionly to sleep. Cycling is the best cure for insomnia for me.

You don't fall asleep on your bike, I hope. wink.png

Just a reminder, it is vey risky to combine alcohol and any benzo.

There is no doubt what you describe may be "nice", but it is very dangerous and abuse of the medication. This type of behavior is what makes Dr's nervous in regards to prescribing it.

An astounding number of people end up in the hospital each year from drinking alcohol while taking anti anxiety meds.

Edited by inbangkok

you might wanna ask/do a sleep study, if they do that in Thailand, to rule out sleep apnea, very common problem, re: waking up repeatedly, maybe also BPH type tests smile.png

Highly addictive, and withdrawal can be very, very difficult and unpleasant.

And, if taken regularly, you will quickly develop tolerance i.e. it wlil stop working at the same dose. Leading to larger doses which will also eventually stop working...you get the idea.

If taken only once in a rare while, these problems don't apply.

Edited by chubby

• 4 months later...

Melatonin hasn't ever done much for me, and Atarax leaves me quite hungover (and sweating, for some reason) the next morning, just like Benadryl. Hate the stuff.

Xanax and Clonazepam (and Valium, though not quite as bad) are dangerously addictive, almost drove me to the brink of insanity just getting off of them after a few months. Many people have said that getting off benzodiazepenes is more difficult than heroin. Plus, people don't usually die from heroin withdrawals, but with benzos, they sometimes do. Plus, benzos cause brain damage.

I've personally found much to love with Trazodone, a tetracyclic antidepressant that works WONDERS for sleep without the nasty side-effects of benzos, yet feels a bit similar to a slightly weaker Clonazepam in effect, and doesn't leave you hungover the next morning.

Edited by jackspade

What you said about Seroquel is true, however, it is being increasingly used off label for treatment of insomnia and should be considered (with a DR). It obviously has its own potential side effects, but it will not stop working like Benzos will if taken every night.

Not you Sheryl, but people love to jump all over how horrible benzos and sleep aides are. They people generally have no understanding of what Insomnia can do to a person both mentally ad physically. Not being able to sleep night after night will absolutely wreck a person.

And benzos will wreck a person worse. Taking a benzo to sleep is like doing a line of cocaine to wake up in the morning.

I know that insomnia can be a small, isolated hell to the one experiencing it—a hell that no one else seems to understand. Insomnia SHOULD be treated, and there are good medications to treat it, but benzos are a terrible choice for doing so.

I was addicted to benzos for just three months—I can't imagine the hells people have gone through to become benzo-free after taking them for years. Evidence (controlled studies) point to long-term INEFFICACY in treating anxiety and insomnia—in fact, they contribute to depression and anxiety in the long term.

Check this out: http://www.darksideofsleepingpills.com/

Edited by jackspade

For those of us who suffer from serious panic disorder Xanax is a life saver. It is also known (can be checked) that those of us who do use it for P D don't abuse it. I take a very low dose daily & am able to manage panic & live a normal life. I was an abused child & research also shows that the brains of abused children are wired differently. I do not recommend casual use of Xanax, but for chronic PD as I said, it's a life saver

Why do you enrich the pharmacists?

Do it the natural way. Don't take any pill and try to drink a bottle of beer or two. Or a glass of red wine?

At least, you can try to solve the problem without chemicals, supposed you don't need any other pills for fifferent reasons.