Kanchanaburi Border Crossings

Hi @ all

I am looking for newest information about border crossings in Kanchanaburi Area.

Currently i am in Thailand on Tourist Visa (2 Entrys) and the duration of stay of my first Entry expires next month. That time i am planing a trip to Kanchanaburi Area, so i would like to know, if i can use one of the border crossings there to leave Thailand and come back to activate the Second Entry of my Tourist Visa?

I did this last year same time at Ban Phu Nam Ron border crossing, but i am not sure this border still can be used for that purpose?

An alternative is the 3 Pagoda Pass, but i am not sure this is a border crossing for tourists at all?

Any newest information would be helpful for me.

Thanks,
yuhani

You can do it a Ban Phu Nam Ron again. Myanmar stopped doing border passes for a while but they now do them again.

It will cost a total of 900 baht for transport across no mans land and the border pass.

There are not other crossing you can use in Kanchanaburi.

• Like 2

last Monday at the border, I paid 910 baht inc passport copy and a car ride across and back, and all forms completed.

I drove so unsure about minibuses from the town 1,700baht even if it includes visa fees seems expensive, earlier reports i have read say there is a minibus for a few hundred baht, see here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/695791-phu-nam-ron-trip-report-closest-border-to-bangkok-for-visa-extensions/page-2?hl=%2Bphu+%2Bnam+%2Bron#entry8956943

its about 70 kilo to the border, opens at 6.30am, there is an English speaking Dutch guy at the border point, he will explain all, there is a 'home stay' in the 'village' 800 baht, ask at the mini mart around the corner from the crossing, nice clean, new bungalows, with some rice soup for breakfast, the restaurant on the corner near to the crossing serves good food at a good price.

a lot of tourist shops are offering boarder run's; but they are about 1700 baht.....not sure what it includes though

maybe special lunch deal with fried rice and watermelon/pineapple :-)

Anyway, thanks to everybody for information about Ban Phu Nam Ron border status!

As mentioned, the easiest option is motorbike hire, if you rent for the morning or afternoon only, it will cost 100 baht but you should expect to pay that again for gas, ans you will need sun cream. There are a couple of early morning buses (about 50 baht) but they only go to the border, they don't come back but you can hitchhike back, the last time I did it, they was an empty space on a returning minivan, it was pretty easy. 1700 is far too much to pay for such a simple trip.

Can anyone give me the GPS location of the border: Ban Phu Nam Ron

Or it's location on google maps?

EDITED: 13.924938, 99.082865 , is this correct?

yes correct, go to street view and you will see the flag and barriers

Edited by steve187

I must have a very old "Google-Earth" Version. Above coordinates still would leave me in the middle of nowhere (no road leading to that village.)

So for simplicity's sake, could anyone give me the road-number(s) that eventually would lead me to Ban Phu Nam Ron. Starting point Kanchanabury.

Thx & cheers.

Direction on Google maps from Kanchanaburi says "via Route 323 and Route 3512"

https://www.google.com.sg/maps/dir/Kanchanaburi+Thailand/Unnamed+Rd,+Tambon+Ban+Kao,+Amphoe+Mueang+Kanchanaburi,+Chang+Wat+Kanchanaburi+71000,+Thailand/@13.9888208,99.1675029,43341m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x30e31ad50641d69d:0x4f97bc0e92713e12!2m2!1d99.5328115!2d14.0227797!1m5!1m1!1s0x30e49b4961354a91:0xb9a912db2a8588ec!2m2!1d99.0828267!2d13.9241729

the Thai border office is about 5 kilos from the actual border, the 3512 continues past the Thai border office to the Burma border, the car for 900 baht takes this route.

google map here with driving direction - https://www.google.com.sg/maps/dir/Kanchanaburi+Thailand+Post+Office+Mueang+Kanchanaburi+District+Pak+Phraek+Kanchanaburi+Thailand/13.9271554,99.0827694/@13.9674207,99.2393248,63425m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!4m7!1m5!1m1!1s0x30e30ca593e7470b:0x9779c9cf75c805f2!2m2!1d99.557183!2d13.996392!1m0

No pass 3 pagoda pass.

There have been reports of security concerns on the Myanmar side hence why that crossing has never officially re-opened. I made 4 illegal crossings there a couple of years back but only to speak to some people on the Myanmar side before quickly returning to the Thai side. It seemed safe enough but I was informed back then that in 2015 the border will officially open to all, but so far no news. More than likely Dan Singkorn further south will open first, as has been announced in the news media.

the Thai border office is about 5 kilos from the actual border, the 3512 continues past the Thai border office to the Burma border, the car for 900 baht takes this route.

google map here with driving direction - https://www.google.com.sg/maps/dir/Kanchanaburi+Thailand+Post+Office+Mueang+Kanchanaburi+District+Pak+Phraek+Kanchanaburi+Thailand/13.9271554,99.0827694/@13.9674207,99.2393248,63425m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!4m7!1m5!1m1!1s0x30e30ca593e7470b:0x9779c9cf75c805f2!2m2!1d99.557183!2d13.996392!1m0

All excellent info, thanks guys. Since it will be a "first" for me, I will probably go with the 900 Bht Bus version.

Question: Where in Kancha does this bus depart from? Departure times?

Thx & cheers.

All excellent info, thanks guys. Since it will be a "first" for me, I will probably go with the 900 Bht Bus version.

Question: Where in Kancha does this bus depart from? Departure times?

Thx & cheers.

The 900 baht bus only goes across no mans land, you still have to get yourself to the border, there are buses and minivans from the bus station at Kanchanaburi or Hiring a bike is another option and a nice ride as there are two different ways to get to Lamsai the half way point.

• 4 weeks later...

I must have a very old "Google-Earth" Version. Above coordinates still would leave me in the middle of nowhere (no road leading to that village.)

So for simplicity's sake, could anyone give me the road-number(s) that eventually would lead me to Ban Phu Nam Ron. Starting point Kanchanabury.

Thx & cheers.

Works for me when I put than number in maps.google.com

Anyway... it's open right? I'm planning on heading there tomorrow. (15th)

Edited by PaulHamon

Thx & cheers.

Works for me when I put than number in maps.google.com

Anyway... it's open right? I'm planning on heading there tomorrow. (15th)

Those coordinates are not correct but theses are.13.8944424283, 99.0819474458 (KBBC) On the your cord. your about 4 km short of the crossing.

Today, It was a Sunday.

I left Bangkok at just after 8:30am

After having breakfast along the way I arrive at the border crossing at 12:30pm when I pulled up in the car.

Border has about 60 people waiting to cross, this includes minivan and buses with what looked like groups of Burmese with passports doing a border run.

I noticed 2-3 farang crossing back (already completed the process) and only another 2 female backpackers and myself waiting to go across.

The girls has burmese visa and when crossing over to travel into burma (they didn't return, so I can only assume the managed to head into burma proper).

After passing immigration (taking about 1 hours) I head to the one-stop services and paid 910 Baht for a transfer over a 2 stamps at the burmese side and a return to Thailand.

I waited about 10 minute for the car to take us (me), we drove over, I waited in the car for 2-3 minutes and then we return back, this took around 30 minutes all up.

Then I waited 30 minutes to get back thru Thai customs.

This all happens between 12:30 and 2:30 pm, obviously not the smartest time to arrive, this was my schedule.

I had a Multi Non-O, leaving and entering Thailand the immigrations staff where super happy and friendly to everyone, me the Burmese and all. I think it was the friendlies experience I've had in 9 years of crossing Thailands borders.

Overall I was very happy with the experience, last time I cross here was 12 months ago, and more development has happened.

This time, many more peopel crossing over the pickups loaded with stuff (mostly going to Burma).

Anyway, it's open and it was painless... maybe arriving at 9:30-10:30am would have been a better option. 15 March 2015

• Like 2

It can get very busy at weekends. Two weekends ago when I went there was a 2 hour wait just to get out of Thailand. I turned around, no big deal as I live in Kan, and waited until midweek when it is very quiet.

Edited by apetley
  • Like 1

Paulharmon's coordinates 13.924938, 99.082865 in post 10 are correct for the Thai immigration border office, if you go to street view you can see the barriers across the road,

13.8944424283, 99.0819474458 are in no mans land close to the maynmar border, no mans land is a good 5/6 kilo's between border posts. border opens early 6ish

• 2 months later...

I was there at 4pm a few weeks ago and there were a few headshacks and tutting about the time. A western guy who has a cafe there with his wife said you better hurry. A Laos girl there with a Thai guy also wanted to go and the tour agent guy there took us, again with a bit of headshaking and tutting about the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I did it on June 11th, 2015

I arrived at 9.15am on a Wednesday morning.

It was 910 Baht and the whole thing took 1 hours and 15 minutes.. including all the time in immigration lines.

I have NON-O Multi entry, had no hastes.

• 5 months later...