Kanchanaburi Border Crossings

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, bberrythailand said:

Sorry, but people are talking about 5kms nomans land ? How possible ? And 900 thb isn't too much for just a short ride ?

If you have a Myanmar visa (available in 3 days in Bangkok for 810 baht) then the cost will be less (not sure how much). Most people find it convenient to pay for a Burmese day pass instead. Some of the money is being pocketed, certainly, but this is a "take it or leave it" situation, I think.

If you want to travel in Myanmar, and are not arriving by air, you need to get a Myanmar visa in advance. Day passes at land borders are intended only for use in the immediate vicinity. If you are arriving in Myanmar by air, it is possible to apply for a visa online (somewhat inaccurately called "visa on arrival").

EDIT: Note also that onward travel at some land borders in Myanmar requires the use of an official guide. If planning any travel in Myanmar away from the routine tourist track, research carefully. Myanmar is more open now than it was in times past, but travel there is still subject to some definite restrictions.

Edited by BritTim
add warning about need for planning

3 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

Thank you for your reply, but I do not want to plan anything and like to travel anywhere I want without talking to anyone. How are cops and army there ? Do they like cash ? I like to pay for my freedom. Thanks again.

With respect, your attitude is highly irresponsible. If you end up taken prisoner by one of the armed groups there, you can create a lot of trouble not just for yourself. You having money makes this a bigger risk. The cops and army there love cash. If you run into the wrong ones in the wrong area, they will try to figure out how much of it you have and respond accordingly.

As a traveler, I am willing to take calculated risks. Back in the 1980s, I traveled to Karen areas of Burma with a letter of introduction from their representative office in Bangkok. I traveled in Cambodia in the early 1990s when large parts of the country were still very unstable. I never did so without carefully checking out the current security situation. If you want to engage in adventure tourism, learn how to do so responsibly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Habs said:

Can you still do visa run here, just heard it was closed so thought I would check here ...Thanks

As far as I know it is still open but you can only do a crossing if you have a valid Thai visa for re-entry.

Is the crossing at Ban Phu Nam Ron still a good option for out and back in Visa stamp??

If yes, i'll drive up and park my car, what is the cheapest way across and back and what to expect to pay for crossing transportation and stamp?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, mrjon said:

Is the crossing at Ban Phu Nam Ron still a good option for out and back in Visa stamp??

If yes, i'll drive up and park my car, what is the cheapest way across and back and what to expect to pay for crossing transportation and stamp?

Thanks

You can only do the crossing if you have valid Thai visa for re-entry. They do not allow a crossing to get a new visa exempt entry.

Ujoe,

Non-Immigrant type "O"  Multiple here

what to expect to pay for crossing transportation and stamp?

thanks

I just found this vdo on you tube, I that answers my questions and hopefully helps someone else,

Edited by mrjon

31 minutes ago, mrjon said:

Non-Immigrant type "O"  Multiple here

what to expect to pay for crossing transportation and stamp?

No problem since you have a visa.

It is 950 baht for transport and the border pass plus 10 baht for a copy of your passport.

• Like 2

Just crossed at Ban Phu Nam Ron with a multi o non imm visa it was all very easy and immigration were very friendly. Despite being a public holiday no waiting at immigration. Proceeded through immigration paid 10 baht at the counter next door for photocopy of passport they filled in a new arrival departure card fir me. Took transport accross into Burma paid driver 950THB he took passports got them stamped jumped back in pickup truck back into Thailand, in all took less than 30 minutes.Total cost at boarder 960THB a lot cheaper than having to drive to Mae Sot, Mae Sai etc

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just crossed at Ban Phu Nam Ron today with a multi o non imm visa ... total time from thai immigration stamp out to thai immigration stamped in, 45 minutes,.

1 drive hour out of the Kan.

Coordinates to the thai immigtation parking lot according to my garmin gps ..  N 13. 92466   E 099.08288

piece of cake and nice ride, friendly officials

960Bht total

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, gaff said:

Hello,

Any idea if we can go deeper in Myanmar from this border ?

Thank you.

Depends on what you mean by 'deeper'  Travel beyond the immediate vicinity of the border crossing would need a Myanma visa which will not be available at the border. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Swimman said:

Depends on what you mean by 'deeper'  Travel beyond the immediate vicinity of the border crossing would need a Myanma visa which will not be available at the border. 

Thank you, yes I mean go to Dawei maybe.

It seems possible, but the road is bad.

Anybody went there ?

2 hours ago, gaff said:

Hello,

Any idea if we can go deeper in Myanmar from this border ?

Thank you.

Onward travel in Myanmar is only possible with a Myanmar visa in advance (not an e-visa). The visa is easy to get if you are in Bangkok, but might be difficult to arrange if you are in the provinces. The roads leading from the border crossings to major towns are generally much improved from a few years ago, and public transport usually exists. Depending on where you are going, the Myanmar authorities may insist you use an official guide (which obviously dramatically drives up costs). A few areas in Myanmar are still completely out of bounds without special clearance by the authorities.

• Like 1