taking hire bike off island

Just an idea. Perhaps rent a car?

Having done both modes of transport the car is much safer and comfortable.

The weather is very different on the Mainland, often raining.

There are checkpoints everywhere so make sure everything is legal.

In regard to accidents ensure you have insurance to cover motorcycle accidents and appropriate license to ride in Thailand.

The roads are the worst, with massive potholes and bumps, be prepared, don't go alone.

• Like 1

There may be an insurance issue if you go off island.

Sometime ago I wanted to take a rented car off island and had to try several companies before one would agree.

Check with the rental company first.

this is the white lie rental companies used to say , an insurance cover is of course nationwide and not limited to a locality. Edited by NHJ

this is the white lie rental companies used to say , an insurance cover is of course nationwide and not limited to a locality.

Do you really want to take the chance without checking with the company first. blink.png

I would not want to be in a situation where the bike skidded off the road killing a mother and her kids and landing me in hospital, and hope there is insurance cover. w00t.gif

Bear in mind that will be pulled over by Police on the mainland much more frequently, so have licence to hand, and probably passport too . I know one shop where an increased financial deposit is required, dependant on the model of bike.

Regards

AG

I have lived on the mainland, 25km from Donsak, for 4 years and have never been stopped by the police once... You should always have a valid license with you anyway, plus a copy of your passport is a good idea.

• Like 1

Bear in mind that will be pulled over by Police on the mainland much more frequently, so have licence to hand, and probably passport too . I know one shop where an increased financial deposit is required, dependant on the model of bike.

Regards

AG

I have lived on the mainland, 25km from Donsak, for 4 years and have never been stopped by the police once... You should always have a valid license with you anyway, plus a copy of your passport is a good idea.

I've driven from Bangkok quite a few times, usually have at least 3 check points along the way. Have always just shown my licence (Thai) and that was enough.They seem more intent on checking pick ups and other overloaded vehicles.

Never been stopped in Surat Thani like yourself Carlos.

You might get some joy if you go to the Premier Bar in Bangrak and ask for the guy that hires motorbikes, Ian Baxendale. Have a chat with him.

Ian is not there anymore- but I am sure that they can tell you where he now is.

I saw Ian last night.

His comment was that you would be unlikely to get a rental bike to go off the island. What would happen (for instance) if you had a major accident and could not return?

• Like 2