Chinese tourist charged Bt90,000 over damaged jet skis in Phuket

Thaivisa News

To be fair, they did crash the 2 jetskis into each other. I'm wondering how much damage was done from the accident.

So what? When you rent a jetski, or anything else here, part of that rental fee covers the insurance costs. No tourist should have to pay anything, insurance should be covering it all, it's accidental damage. It's also not the tourists fault that the vendor allowed the insurance to lapse (or in most cases simply has no insurance anyway).

In this scenario, what happens when that jetski accidentally runs over a swimmer they didn't see and killed them? It would be an accident, but who pays the compensation? The tourist who rented the jetski? No, the insurance company. That's what insurance is for.

• Like 1

He claimed he had to collect the damage fee because his insurance policy for the jet skis had expired.

[ Oh yeah! I believe that. I am 99% certain that his insurance policy was in order and he claimed on it, unless the repair cost was actually so small he did not want to risk/lose his NCD.

And note by the way, he freely stated he was not insured although the jetski-operators terms require them to be insured. Presumably that means he considered there was no risk of him being thrown out for not complying with the rules. And the rules are not enforced, worthless to the tourist, or anyone. Rules just so it "looks good". Thai-style. No substance, just good looks.

And note also, if he had been insured he could only have claimed 30,000 baht for downtime (two skis at 15,000 each) from the tourist; in fact, in this case at the end of the day the tourist paid 50,000 baht, so that's the tourist paying the jet-ski operator an extra 20,000 baht, ok that's only a mere £400, (more, if the downtime was small) because the jet-ski operator had failed to comply with the rules the jet-ski operator was subject to, to maintain insurance. No logic to it, except the Thai "logic" that the tourist must always be the one to pay for Thai people's mistakes.

You can see why people are told that Thailand is not the place to jet-ski. It's not just talk in the travelling community. So many get told that, but people still jet-ski here. We all take risks sometimes. Like coming to Thailand. :-) It's fun.

Saw a group of jet ski guys and the police surrounding two Russian girls at Kata Beach the other day. The girls had offered 2K, the jet ski guy insisted upon 20K and the police were threatening the Russian girls with going to the police station if they didn't pay. Really funny in that the Thai jet ski guy said he was giving them a discount on the fee.

They are supposed to have insurance.

Same old same old going on down there. As it was already said, the person running this whole scam must be one very, very powerful person. Probably the same as it is in Pattaya, whoever runs the city runs the biggest scams, or at least profits from them massively.

Damn,

I have forgotten the name of that guy that used to run Patpong for a million years.

I don't really understand why the police and the jetski mafia bother fronting as jetski operators. Would it not be much easier if the jetski mafia guys walked up to random people on the beach and told them to hand over say 80.000 baht, or get a beating? This way they would also get alot more "customers", as there are alot more people on the beach than there are people renting jetskis.

The police can then come to the rescue and lower the amount to 40,000, which the jetski mafia and police can then share.

Noone would have to purchase expensive jetskis or move them up and down the beach every day, and noone would have to be disturbed, annoyed or run over by jetskis anymore.

The tourists who get robbed will of course get upset and never come back, but that is already the case with the jetski scams anyway, so nothing will change in this regard.

Furthermore, since there will no longer be any expenses involved such as buying jetskis, insurance, gasoline and so on, it might be possible to lower the demanded amount a bit, which would be good for the tourists.

I think, if given a choice between renting a jetski and get scammed for 90,000, or not renting a jetski and get scammed for say 80,000, most tourists will choose the latter option and "save" 10,000.

I really think this could be a win/win for everyone, and hope the jetski mafia and the police will consider this new business model.

• Like 2

Of course it hadn't really expired, he never had any insurance in the first place.

Lies of this nature are so commonplace here, nobody even bothers to comment on them.

correct, same old, same same. Cheats, liars and scrum. Even the jet ski committee know this. The Chinese embassy should summon his thai counterpart to protest, as was raised before with the Aussie government I think.

Given the frequency with which this scam occurs, some drastic changes and oversight is needed. The TAT should be the initiating force to quell bad PR. The military or TAT should draft a standard contract to cover jet ski rentals. Even if users don't sign such an agreement, this would be the 'default' contract to be applied in any instance where damage has allegedly occurred. Many insurance policies apply deductible but I don't know if that is the case in Thailand. If there is a deductible, recovery of the deductible would not be unreasonable. It's not rocket science and these predators need to be reined in. That being said, I tell friends who intend to visit Thailand to NEVER rent a jet ski. I will continue to offer that advice until the current situation is change to protect the user.

Edited by pookiki

..... Now a shiny well painted and presented jet ski can probably bring in more renters than a dented banged up jetski so I would be sympathetic to a repair bill being needed

All jet skis are shiny and well painted until the plaster of paris putty & water based paint washes off.

To be fair, they did crash the 2 jetskis into each other. I'm wondering how much damage was done from the accident.

True, that's the difference between this case and all the others you hear about where tourists of any given nationality in Pattaya, usually Indians and Russians but also others (probably Chinese too) have been asked to pay for pre-existing damage or make-believe damage to rented jetskis.

This case does however sound a little like extortion given the damage bill claimed. As usual, the scammer backs down on the initial claim but the amount is still high.

Compare that to the motorcycle my friend rented in Phnom Penh where he had a minor accident - he was adjusting his sunglasses and being a bit of a novice on a step-through scooter, he fell into a pot hole about 21km south of Phnom Penh and get this, I was riding my dirt bike and drove straight over him! However, since my bike had high clearance he barely felt anything as I drove over his buttocks. He was patched up at a local clinic for $15 (maybe that was a bit of a rip-off, but not sure since all the medical supplies were imported) but the motorcycle rental shop only charged him $70 for replacing the broken headlight and to re-paint some of the scratched surfaces on the bike.

They should not be allowed to operate without comprehensive insurance. These greedy morons will eventually get the message when the tourists stop coming.

thumbsup.gif My rented Pattaya house was recently struck by lightning. About B100,000 loss to me. Landlady let insurance lapse so I'm stucksad.png

They should not be allowed to operate without comprehensive insurance. These greedy morons will eventually get the message when the tourists stop coming.

thumbsup.gif My rented Pattaya house was recently struck by lightning. About B100,000 loss to me. Landlady let insurance lapse so I'm stucksad.png

if the landlady had insured it at some point, it would indicate that she assumes herself to be responsible for those sort of repairs ...... so she pays, surely?

On a another matter; they are renting out windsurfers to be used within a enclosed swimming area section on Dongtan Beach. A novice on a windsurfer does not have control. An out of control board can do a lot of damage to a swimmer. This type of thing simply amazes me.

Extraordinary that a tourist would EVEN pay the money.

Hmmm...

Lose some money or get brain damage.....lose some money or get brain damage......lose some money or get brain damage.

I'll lose some money, thanks.

To be fair, the legal, compulsory insurance should cover any damage.

Yes, I agree that the ins should cover all damage but no ins company will pay out for the loss of earning from that jet ski whilst it is in the workshop and not on the water.

I think then that some compensation should be paid by the renter but not the scammed amounts that are being reported.

And we are told things are "being sorted" on Phuket! Haha. By law Jet Ski operators should have insurance for accidents. The police should side with any customer who is told they have to pay for damage.As this is not the case only one conclusion. Corruption reigns!

Extraordinary that a tourist would EVEN pay the money.

Hmmm...

Lose some money or get brain damage.....lose some money or get brain damage......lose some money or get brain damage.

I'll lose some money, thanks.

Ok in a nutshell, Phuket is as lawless as it it ever was. Cosmetic Bullshit about reforms.

On a another matter; they are renting out windsurfers to be used within a enclosed swimming area section on Dongtan Beach. A novice on a windsurfer does not have control. An out of control board can do a lot of damage to a swimmer. This type of thing simply amazes me.

True a novice on a windsurfer does not have control, but a novice on a windsurfer probably sails 5 km/h, unlike a novice on a jetski who easily goes 70 km/h. Further, the windsurfer is much lighter than a jetski, and due to the low speed (for novices), much easier to avoid for swimmers. Worst case, the swimmer can simply grap the surfboard with both hands at the front, which, if going 5 km/h, will also cause an almost immediate stop to the surfboard. Further, if a novice on a windsurfer sees someone in front of him he cannot avoid, he will usually just fall/jump in the water, causing an immediate stop of the windsurfer.

To be fair, the legal, compulsory insurance should cover any damage.

Yes, I agree that the ins should cover all damage but no ins company will pay out for the loss of earning from that jet ski whilst it is in the workshop and not on the water.

I think then that some compensation should be paid by the renter but not the scammed amounts that are being reported.

Why is this different from car insurance, or any other vehicle insurance in any country? If a car rental company such as AVIS or BUDGET cannot get insurance compensation for loss of earnings during repair, it will simply calculate the average loss of earnings during repair, and increase prices slightly for all customers to cover that loss, just like banks increase fees/rates overall to cover NPLs (non performing loans) and shops and stores in general set their prices to cover loss due to shoplifting. This is completely reasonable, and there is no reason jetskis cannot do the same.

Of course, with the jetskis, the goal is to scam the customers, and in that case the above obviously does not work.

• Like 1