Cobra Gold 2015 takes off with scaled down personnel from US

webfact

Cobra Gold 2015 takes off with scaled down personnel from US

2-10-2015-9-59-05-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Cobra Gold 2015 annual military exercise was officially commenced Monday with 8,000 military personnel from 24 countries taking part.

The joint military, the 34th of its kind, this year focuses on humanitarian civic action, evacuations and some battle activities.

Deputy Supreme Commander Gen Wutthinan Leelayuth and the US Charge d’affaires W Patrick Murphy presided over the opening ceremony of the Cobra Gold Exercise 2015 at the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School in Nakhon Nayok.

The exercises are conducted mainly in Nakhon Nayok, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Chon Buri, Chanthaburi, Rayong and Nakhon Ratchasima.

Major participant countries include Thailand, the United States, South Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia.

China also joined the multinational military exercise for the second year running.

The US military has scaled down its numbers of military personnel from more than 8,000 in previous years to 3,700 this year.

At the opening speech, US charge d’affaires W. Patrick Murphy reiterated a call asking the Thai government to return to democracy as soon as possible to restore full engagement between the two countries.

“A senior US envoy recently visiting Thailand made clear our unwavering friendship and support for the Thai people, as well as our hopes for the country’s return to democracy as soon as possible so we can restore our bilateral relationship to its full potential,” he said.

Deputy Supreme Commander Gen Wutthinan Leelayuth also said the drill will be conducted with safety and transparency.

Cobra Gold began as a bilateral drill between Thailand and the US in 1982, but later broadened to include a total of 24 countries.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cobra-gold-2015-takes-off-scaled-personnel-us

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-10

Related topic:

As China circles, US-Thai military friendship stumbles

Bangkok, Thailand | AFP |

BANGKOK: -- Perturbed by Thailand's coup, the United States has scaled back a showpiece joint military exercise with its Southeast Asian ally, but analysts say that with China circling for influence, Washington will not push the kingdom's generals too far.

Cobra Gold 2015 commences with 24 participating countries

cg.jpg

BANGKOK, 10 February 2015 (NNT) – The Cobra Gold annual military exercise has commenced with an emphasis on disaster relief and with military personnel from 24 countries participating.

General Wuttinun Leelayudth, the Deputy Supreme Commander, and W. Patrick Murphy, the Charge d' affaires of the US mission in Thailand, joined the opening ceremony of Cobra Gold 2015 at Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School in Nayok Nayok on Monday. Major participant countries include Thailand, the United States, South Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia. The multinational military exercise is also seeing participation from China for the second year running. The main training sites are situated in Lopburi, Saraburi and Chanthaburi this time around.

US charge d' affaires Patrick Murphy, referring to the scaling down of the number of US troops participating this year, said during the opening ceremony that "this period is a challenging one and has necessitated a modified Cobra Gold as Thailand manages its return to democracy".

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-10 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

If you listen to experts, this is just a temporary tempest in a teacup.

"The Thais are past masters at the art of diplomacy and they have no desire, in my estimation, to jump into bed with the Chinese dragon," said Davis.

"We're talking about a rebalancing, an important, perhaps even a watershed recalibration of the relationship with the US. But the Thais have got much too much to lose by a total realignment towards China. It's inconceivable."

http://news.yahoo.com/china-circles-us-thai-military-friendship-stumbles-035421362.html

I do not see Thailand as a reliable military ally, or necessary for USA security interests.

China can have them.

You've obviously never played the boardgame "Risk". Thailand has a very strong strategic location.

Thailand's military is also a very good customer to USA security interests. The relationship between the US and Thai militaries is very reliable for this reason - not really as "allies", more like "trading partners".

• Like 1

"scaled down personnel from US" ??? They're sending midgets? Sorry, "height challenged" marines.

Only fair I suppose, most Thais are a bit on the "height challenged" side.

Reminds me of the marine who asked his sergeant how they could fight 6 million Chinese soldiers. the answer was "Aim low."

• Like 1

I do not see Thailand as a reliable military ally, or necessary for USA security interests.

China can have them.

You've obviously never played the boardgame "Risk". Thailand has a very strong strategic location.

Thailand's military is also a very good customer to USA security interests. The relationship between the US and Thai militaries is very reliable for this reason - not really as "allies", more like "trading partners".

More like allies.

I have met quite a few participants in this Year's event. Articles like the ones above never seem to mention how things were scaled back after the coup. There's a reason for that.

China can have them.

they were very helpful torturing people, helping to support Pol Pot, making troubles for Myanmar, etc etc

• Like 1

Seeing Murphy here as the top USA government official makes me wonder if he might be nominated for ambassador to Thailand. He already "understands" the Junta's role in returning Thailand back to democracy and Gen. Prayuth knows Murphy, even if it's just a desire to send Murphy to an attitude adjustment camp. With Thailand's current political situation, it would be a mistake for the USA President to nominate anyone other than an experienced State Department official for political party payback. If Murphy remains in Thailand through February, his nomination is all the more likely. In such a case I look forward to a one-on-one meeting between Murphy and Prayuth.

I heard a few low flying jets overhead today, just south of Korat.

It crossed my mind that it may the start of CG.

Last year, I noticed the aircraft I saw were all unmarked.

No country emblem, no numbers.

Is this normal for CG?

Seeing Murphy here as the top USA government official makes me wonder if he might be nominated for ambassador to Thailand. He already "understands" the Junta's role in returning Thailand back to democracy and Gen. Prayuth knows Murphy, even if it's just a desire to send Murphy to an attitude adjustment camp. With Thailand's current political situation, it would be a mistake for the USA President to nominate anyone other than an experienced State Department official for political party payback. If Murphy remains in Thailand through February, his nomination is all the more likely. In such a case I look forward to a one-on-one meeting between Murphy and Prayuth.

you are forgetting that it is the parasite in the white house that recommends the ambasador!

• Like 2

have you a brain ,where will china ,STOP ,WHITE CLIFFS DOVER MAYBE

As my own education about China came almost exclusively from the writings of Harry Paget Flashman VC would be interested in expert opinion on whether the Tiddlies actually want to "water their horses at Hendon".....or Bangkok/Manila/HCMCity etc.....or are content at home?

Sinophiles?

Edited by cheeryble

China can have them.

have you a brain ,where will china ,STOP ,WHITE CLIFFS DOVER MAYBE

I don't think history supports your fears.

Long ago,he Mongols did conquer most of Asia and parts of Europe, as far west as Poland I believe.

But that did not last.

But many people are not aware that the Chinese were in North America long before anyone from Europe.

They crossed the Pacific, explored the west coast of America, and then went home.

The did not attempt to colonize or exploit it in any way.

Archaeological finds on the west coast of North America confirm this.

Unlike some European nations, they have never attempted to establish an empire where the sun would never set!

China can have them.

Vietnam and Burma are better situated and the advantage is the previous disputes with China. Watch them closely. Thailand snoozes and that US, Australian and Canadian naval exercise in the works becomes more important.

Bet most people were unaware that Vietnam is sending its naval pilots to Canada for specialty training. They did not select the proposed Thai Hub.

The USA through its allies has been moving closer to Thailand's rivals. Both Australia and Canadian naval vessels have spent time in Vietnam, bypassing Thailand. These 3 are in the 5 eyes and work hand in hand on their China counter measures.