Thai probe into overpriced equipment purchase

webfact

Probe into overpriced equipment purchase
SURACHAI PIRAKSA
THE NATION

30253815-01_big.JPG?1423609499379

BANGKOK: -- RELEVANT authorities are investigating alleged irregularities in the Physical Education Department's exercise-equipment project.

The project purchases sports equipment for various locations across the country.

"At this point, we believe the equipment is rather overpriced," Pol Lt-Colonel Pathom Nakha-sa-ngiam of the Department of Special Investigation said yesterday.

He spoke after joining a team of DSI and Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) officials examining exercise equipment in a sports field near Ban Bu-Nong Tao School in Buri Ram's Chamni district.

A set of double bars, with an edge glider and waist-exercise machines, bought for the community cost more than Bt170,000.

Pathom said the school director and a local village head told officials they had no idea about the equipment cost.

"They say they have accepted the equipment only because they believed it would be useful to local people," he said.

Pisit Sakanchanachai, who heads the PACC Office Area 3, said inspections related to the project in eight provinces under his jurisdiction would be done before the end of this month.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Probe-into-overpriced-equipment-purchase-30253815.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-11

The coup is like a laxative for Thailand. The amount of 'stuff' coming out lately is amazing.

You think an exercise machine in Buriram is a significant find?

Strewth...Everything, and I mean everything the government does is padded. From the paper clips to the very rubber stamp itself, someone is getting a clip somewhere

B170,000 is far from major. Multiply it by an unknown number of schools in "eight provinces under his jurisdiction" and possibly more provinces, and it starts to look like a nice little earner for the boys.

This administration is investigating previous administration corruption to have negotiating pressure to apply to civil servants and politicians who favour a parliamentary democracy. This is about maintaining power and suppressing your enemies.

• Like 2

The coup is like a laxative for Thailand. The amount of 'stuff' coming out lately is amazing.

weren't these and the microphones the Junta's doing?

Yes. Isn't it amazing that we heard about it, and that the purchase was stopped?

And why was the purchase stopped???? It became public and they weren't happy with what was going on, Now there was supposed to be a full investigation on the mic's issue and please tell us at what stage is it at now? almost under the carpet now stage??? out of sight out of mind????

The investigation is supposed to find out what happened and why and who is responsible, well we know that this current government came into being on the corruption issue and reforms, so if the former PM is being held responsible for the governments faults then where dose that leave this one???

• Like 2

This administration is investigating previous administration corruption to have negotiating pressure to apply to civil servants and politicians who favour a parliamentary democracy. This is about maintaining power and suppressing your enemies.

Whatever its about Briggsy (and you might well be right) action is undertaken and corruption tackled. Now with some luck if the PTP gets elected (they might nothing is sure) then they will do the same again and more corruption is taken away.

I prefer it an other way but this way is better then nothing.

These purchases are like fashion waves rolling over the country, a few years ago someone came up with the exercise equipment as a new source of additional income for city officials and you see these unused rows of exercise stuff popping up all over the country. The previous wave ware children's playgrounds, they are by now in the expected deplorable state of maintenance and need of repair unsafe for kids, but who cares the money is gone.

It works like this in every corner and level of society, local, regional, national government, army, police, NGO's, temples, companies, everywhere!

These purchases are like fashion waves rolling over the country, a few years ago someone came up with the exercise equipment as a new source of additional income for city officials and you see these unused rows of exercise stuff popping up all over the country. The previous wave ware children's playgrounds, they are by now in the expected deplorable state of maintenance and need of repair unsafe for kids, but who cares the money is gone.

It works like this in every corner and level of society, local, regional, national government, army, police, NGO's, temples, companies, everywhere!

We got them too here in the village.. because i look into the park where they are mounted from my home i can see the use. They are used each and every day. However they are only used after 17:00 until dark when the temperature is a bit lower.

So they might well be getting used and you might not see them in use because in general they are only used a small part of the day.

They might be good for kids and older people but otherwise there is not much benefit, nothing for the bit more fanatic exercise guys. But still its far better as nothing and its free (maybe the village paid for it not sure I don't go to the meetings)

We got them too here in the village.. because i look into the park where they are mounted from my home i can see the use. They are used each and every day. However they are only used after 17:00 until dark when the temperature is a bit lower.

So they might well be getting used and you might not see them in use because in general they are only used a small part of the day.

They might be good for kids and older people but otherwise there is not much benefit, nothing for the bit more fanatic exercise guys. But still its far better as nothing and its free (maybe the village paid for it not sure I don't go to the meetings)

Sure they are used by some people, but that was not the reason why they where installed. The reason for buying this equipment is because it's the latest good looking way of making money for local officials. Wait and see how they look in a year or 2 when repairs are needed... By the way, it works the same if your village management has bought it.

• Like 1

If the OP's photo is what costs 170,000, that's a bargain....................Not. Probably can make it and paint it for 5K with 165K being split a few different ways. Multiply that by 100's of installs, and we can see why everyone wants to be in the gov't business, it pays very well.

From a 700 Million Baht budget for outdoor playground and children fitness equipment, slipped around 500 Million Baht in dark channels.
I hope they resolve this case more quickly and bring those responsible to be accountable, including reparation.
If they can recover some of the stolen 500 Million Baht, that would be nice for all Thai children.

If the OP's photo is what costs 170,000, that's a bargain....................Not. Probably can make it and paint it for 5K with 165K being split a few different ways. Multiply that by 100's of installs, and we can see why everyone wants to be in the gov't business, it pays very well.

Not really.. if its quality then it will cost a bit more as your 5k. I have bought fitness equipment from a good source and for quality you pay extra. But its of course far cheaper as the 165k

This is so incredibly simply "police". Was there a bidding process with multiple bidders? This is important gentlemen. Now take a look at who authorized and signed the contract for the equipment. Now go take a look at his bank accounts for large deposits around the time of the contract being signed.

"FOLLOW THE MONEY"

Not really.. if its quality then it will cost a bit more as your 5k. I have bought fitness equipment from a good source and for quality you pay extra. But its of course far cheaper as the 165k

I agree as my friend sells top of the line fitness equipment from the US. However, the photo in the OP is not exactly top of the line fitness equipment, it's just some playground piping with paint on it on a dirt patch. Maybe the OP isn't the equipment in question, but with the DSI people giving it a look, I would think it's the equipment in question.

I agree as my friend sells top of the line fitness equipment from the US. However, the photo in the OP is not exactly top of the line fitness equipment, it's just some playground piping with paint on it on a dirt patch. Maybe the OP isn't the equipment in question, but with the DSI people giving it a look, I would think it's the equipment in question.

I can't see how thick the metal is inside.. that really changes the price a bit. I just bought an extra extension for my power rack here in Thailand and I could have gone cheap or expensive depending on quality. There was quite a difference.

So let's talk about something else, because the topic of the thread is uncomfortable for you?

Errr.... No. But I find it a bit rich that they came in on a gigantic wave of screaming against corruption, then first thing is a corruption scandal in government house. And you're happy it was stopped? Damn, you're easy! What would make me happy is a full investigation and appropriate punishment of those involved. As I'd like for those who ordered that exercise equipment.

It's true that the junta has been more active than previous governments and that more instances like these are coming to light, which is good. But what I'm also seeing is a lot of small fry being caught or impeded, and the fry is either politically unconnected or (especially) from political opponents. Letting that corruption right on his doorstep go unpunished is a huge tell and a failed test of the junta's sincerity. Either we have some paid sock puppets for the junta on this forum, or people who should know better are completely happy to suspend all disbelief. I can respect being hypercritical of the PTP, but what I can't respect is being hypercritical of one side and give the other one a free pass and being knee-jerk defensive about them.

This is so incredibly simply "police". Was there a bidding process with multiple bidders? This is important gentlemen. Now take a look at who authorized and signed the contract for the equipment. Now go take a look at his bank accounts for large deposits around the time of the contract being signed.

"FOLLOW THE MONEY"

It's probably in a safe in his house compound.

Edited by Chicog

Strewth...Everything, and I mean everything the government does is padded. From the paper clips to the very rubber stamp itself, someone is getting a clip somewhere

B170,000 is far from major. Multiply it by an unknown number of schools in "eight provinces under his jurisdiction" and possibly more provinces, and it starts to look like a nice little earner for the boys.

Oh I dont know. Let's think pencils.

2 mn govt employees using and losing 4 per month 4 mn pencils per month with 1 baht per pencil commission to the relevant office managers.

Its everywhere.

Another nasty post. Have you any proof? What has procurement agreement signed between 2012 and 2014 got to do with the current government ?

"DPE director-general Pattanachart Krisadi-boworn said he has received the notification from the PACC and was ready to give further clarification on the purchase of exercise and recreational equipment. He said the procurement of the equipment was contained in 13 agreements that were entered into between 2012 up to early 2014.

He said all officials who have been involved have ordered to report themselves. ... he said all this happened three years ago in 2012 which was before he took this position.

He went on saying that the acting minister for the Ministry of Tourism and Sport himself has set up a committee to look into the matter.... "

• Like 1

weren't these and the microphones the Junta's doing?

No "DPE director-general Pattanachart Krisadi-boworn said he has received the notification from the PACC and was ready to give further clarification on the purchase of exercise and recreational equipment. He said the procurement of the equipment was contained in 13 agreements that were entered into between 2012 up to early 2014".

• Like 1