61-year-old mother offers kidney for sale to help brain-damaged son

Thaivisa News

Lampang:- A 61-year-old mother has offered her kidney for sale to earn money for taking care of her brain-damaged son, saying it could be the last thing she could do for him before she dies.

Sopin Kawi-ai, a resident of Tambon Borhaew in Lampang’s Muang district, said she has sold everything that could be sold in the house and pawned many other items to try to make enough to care her youngest son, Anucha Kawi-ai. A wheelchair given from the Lampang Provincial Hospital has also been pawned.

Now, she could see only one solution –selling one of her kidneys.

Sopin has been a widow for 20 years. She and her three children used to have a sufficient life until September 28 2012. On that day, Anucha was hit by a pick-up truck and suffered a brain injury.

Anucha’s accident was a turning point for her family because he was a major breadwinner for the family. Beside, his injuries prompted the family to spend a lot for his care. Anucha’s sister had to quit her job to take care of him closely.

Sopin said the truck driver gave her only Bt9,000 although he came from a well-to-do family. The driver has been given a jail term but she would like his family to pay more compensation instead of going to jail. However, the truck driver’s family challenged he to file a civil lawsuit that she cannot affording doing.

“Now, I am earning Bt100 a day from selling sweets,” Sopin said. “Nothing is left so I decided to sell one of my kidneys to raise a sum. I am old and I am suffering from diabetes and high blood pressure. I don’t know how long I can stay to take care of my son. Please help me locate a buyer.”

Old? diabetic and high blood pressure! Good luck selling your kidney!

On a serious note, the truck driver (if responsible) and his insurance should be paying for this. If he wasn't insured then he should be in jail. Bet this woman still votes for whoever gives her 300baht though. You reap what you sow!

I think what Zonka is trying to express is that a 61 year old diabetics kidney is not a sought out item on the black market for organs. And that Sad but people get the govt they deserve.

Insensitive no doubt. But true non the less.

On a serious note, the truck driver (if responsible) and his insurance should be paying for this. If he wasn't insured then he should be in jail. Bet this woman still votes for whoever gives her 300baht though. You reap what you sow!

you got a heart of gold sorry mean stone

• Like 1

wow......good luck to you in the future......what goes around comes around and with an attitude like that, if ever you need help in the future I don't think many people will come rushing.

Sad story. I dont understand why something is noty done through the drivers insurance company?

If it was a farang driving I think he would be liable to look after the entire family for the rest of his life.

Time for Thai Visa to raise money for the poor women

The members should give back to Thailand

I am not waiting I am sending money

• Like 1

YUK, from where did this originate?

Such should not exist in this planet or else where.

YUK, INDEED.

Edit

On 2nd thoughts, I wish you and your family and the generation an eternity of this.

Have fun!!!!!

Edited by ravip

Sad story. I dont understand why something is noty done through the drivers insurance company?

If it was a farang driving I think he would be liable to look after the entire family for the rest of his life.

Harry WHERE are you sending money? Would like to help also, though there are some questions about how to do that.

I agree with what you say. the system stinks and this is just one of many similar sad stories

Who knows how we would locate/contact her to provide some help?

If we can find out I would willingly donate. Like you not all of us foreigners are self centered morons insensitive to other peoples difficulties

Sopin Kawi-ai, a resident of Tambon Borhaew in Lampang’s Muang district,

For those sincerely wishing to contact this desperate lady, I am sure a few inquiries of the kamnan of the tambon will locate her. By now she has achieved a degree of local fame and perhaps many of her neighbors are trying to assist her.

• Like 1

Harry WHERE are you sending money? Would like to help also, though there are some questions about how to do that.

Hope it's ok to post this here, since it's for a good cause. Thairath, who are covering the story, have published the mother's (Mrs Sopin Kawi-ai) contact details, namely her address, telephone number and bank account info such as account number and bank branch, for those who want to donate.

If you want to contribute something, you can get someone to translate.

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/480536

Edited by katana
  • Like 1

AS translated by 'translate-google:

For philanthropists who want to help lighten the load of the mother with this great mind. Can donate at her bachelorette corporate accounts at Putt-ai No. 5360289597 Bank of Thailand Arch Lampang. Or telephone number. 085-712-4294.

thank you for your help to the above posters.