How can I stop my dog licking his paws?

giddyup

It's an inbred thing they are mostly cleaning themselves, leave him alone same as they lick their ass and tail same with a cat, why do cats dig a little hole to have a pee or crap and dogs do not. When you were young if you washed your hands a lot what would you think if your Mum kept putting gloves on your hands, leave the dog alone. My wife sprays her Pussy every time she does a pee she likes to be clean do you wash yours after a pee.

Im thinking a shock collar would do the trick. OP if you didnt want suggestions (that do work) you should have never asked. I gave you viable solutions but, you dont want to try them. Put some hot sauce on your finger and lick it.....do you die, no. Would you lick it again, no. Try it you might be surprised, it just might work.

And if it doesnt work, ok. Its just a dog and trust me they have worse habits than that. Eating poop, licking their ass to name a couple. Lighten up.

I wanted sensible suggestions, not what your wife does with her pussy. Shock collars and hot sauce DO NOT WORK, any research will tell you that.

• Like 1

It's an inbred thing they are mostly cleaning themselves, leave him alone same as they lick their ass and tail same with a cat, why do cats dig a little hole to have a pee or crap and dogs do not. When you were young if you washed your hands a lot what would you think if your Mum kept putting gloves on your hands, leave the dog alone. My wife sprays her Pussy every time she does a pee she likes to be clean do you wash yours after a pee.

Im thinking a shock collar would do the trick. OP if you didnt want suggestions (that do work) you should have never asked. I gave you viable solutions but, you dont want to try them. Put some hot sauce on your finger and lick it.....do you die, no. Would you lick it again, no. Try it you might be surprised, it just might work.

And if it doesnt work, ok. Its just a dog and trust me they have worse habits than that. Eating poop, licking their ass to name a couple. Lighten up.

I wanted sensible suggestions, not what your wife does with her pussy. Shock collars and hot sauce DO NOT WORK, any research will tell you that.

Coming from the guy who comes here to ask for solutions to his problems hahahahah now isnt this a turn around

They both WILL work. You just dont like the answer. So now you are an expert about paw licking....then how about telling us the solution since you've done so much research.

I am wondering, for example, why no one mentioned a cloth covering like a bootie.

We have two shih tzus (see profile pic); the brown and white is 4, athlethic and easily excitable (barks at everything passing) but clever enough to know there's no danger unless i stand up and start walking towards him. The black and white is 12 and has never responded to the 'come' command since we got him at 7 weeks. He will come with food in your hand but his nose is excellent so if you try to game him, he has... well it's a '*@##* you, i'm busy' kind of stare.

Licking incessantly is a behavior disorder which is the specialty of Cesar Millan - the Dog Whisperer. He has a series on TV that I watched for years (until i threw my True Visions box in the septic tank) and learned a lot about teaching the dogs to do what I want. (They would be much better behaved if my wife and i were on the same page. So far, i haven't found a tutorial on how to train a wife.) Anyway, Ceasar Millan has twitter and face book and can probably give you an answer that will work... or you can keep trying for a solution to pop out from a goup of people who probably don't know how to teach their dogs to heel.

I'm just having a look at his suggestions now. I bought some booties but he pulls them off, same with a plastic cone.

Coming from the guy who comes here to ask for solutions to his problems hahahahah now isnt this a turn around

They both WILL work. You just dont like the answer. So now you are an expert about paw licking....then how about telling us the solution since you've done so much research.

You have tested both hot sauce and an electric collar on your dog have you? Did your dog have a paw licking problem?

Have 15 shih tzus [6 are puppies 4 born Christmas day + 2 on 12 Jan] just one does this she is just under 3 years old, the vet gave a spray to use [very expensive at a Vet 20mg and 400 baht] 'Dr FA wound spray' appears to work....... there is no wound or infection on her paws

My dog isn't licking because of wounds.

As I said 'there is no wound or infection on her paws'

Nibbling + skin rash + flaky skin [like dandruff] + bad body smell are things that are common in Shih Tzu dogs. I have 9 + 6 puppies, oldest is 14 years next month... 3 of the 9 have one of the common problems, the 11 year old has 3 of the problems, Myself shower in Oatmeal shampoo and then again in medicated from Vet [Pink colour shampoo] every 4th day, blow dry as there all long haired....... all the rest with No problems every other month with normal dog shampoo.

Edit: Maybe help to look up Shih Tzu dog problems, 'constant licking of paws Shih Tzu dogs' ......... as you say yours is a mix do you know with what ? look up that bred as well.

Thanks, I'll try anything (within reason) to get him to stop.

OK, you eat a pound of chocolate - do you die?

A dog will die!

Dogs are different o humans.

as an example. They cannot make Vitamin D in their skin......

OP Also search YouTube for things like:

how to stop a dog from licking his paws cesar millan

Why would a person or dog eat a pound of chocolate?

Perhaps a greedy person?

The dog stole the chocolate - it happens, I promise you.

There is quite a list of what will kill a dog and not humans.

BTW the biggest killer is shop bought dog food.

Best bet buy cheap cracked rice and make your own.

Items to avoid Reasons to avoid Alcoholic beverages Can cause intoxication, coma, and death. Avocado The leaves, seeds, fruit, and bark contain persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system. Cat food Generally too high in protein and fats. Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea and be toxic to the heart and nervous systems. Citrus oil extracts Can cause vomiting. Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis. Fish (raw, canned or cooked) If fed exclusively or in high amounts can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. Grapes, raisins and currants Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys. There have been no problems associated with grape seed extract. Hops Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death. Human vitamin supplements containing iron Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys. Macadamia nuts Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle. Marijuana Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate. Milk and other dairy products Some adult dogs and cats may develop diarrhea if given large amounts of dairy products. Moldy or spoiled food, garbage Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs. Mushrooms Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death. Onions and garlic(raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions. Persimmons Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis. Pits from peaches and plums Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract. Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption ofbiotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella. Raw meat May contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea.* Rhubarb leaves Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. Salt If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances. String Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body." Sugary foods Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus. Table scraps (in large amounts) Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed. Tobacco Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death. Yeast dough Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines. Xylitol (artificial sweetener) Can cause very low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), which can result in vomiting, weakness and collapse. In high doses can cause liver failure.

One of our dogs has been eating chocolate for nearly 10 years.

Has the op tried a different vet?

Google chocolate and dogs and see what the results tell you. Both vets have said they can't see anything wrong with his paws, but that it may be a behavioral problem, or it may be his diet, etc, etc. Basically they don't know, so it's just a question of trial and error.

• Like 1

Google chocolate and dogs and see what the results tell you. Both vets have said they can't see anything wrong with his paws, but that it may be a behavioral problem, or it may be his diet, etc, etc. Basically they don't know, so it's just a question of trial and error.

Google can suck a fart.

Like I say, our dog is nearly ten years old. I'm not asking you to agree or nor am I reccomending given any dog any sort of chocolate.

Google can suck a fart.

Like I say, our dog is nearly ten years old. I'm not asking you to agree or nor am I reccomending given any dog any sort of chocolate.

So, you started giving your dog chocolate 10 years ago, even knowing it can make a dog seriously ill or even kill them?

Google can suck a fart.

So, you started giving your dog chocolate 10 years ago, even knowing it can make a dog seriously ill or even kill them?

Get over it mate, jeez.

'Bitter Apple' spray comes to mind. It can be applied directly to animal. Results can vary. Dog's feet can be the site for allergic responses. If your pouch has contact allergies (grasses/chemicals/etc.) incessant licking of the feet can result. Careful observation for trends in licking may support or eliminate allergies. Giving the dog a Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and watching to see if licking has stopped may confirm allergies. Feet licking may be associated with nervous behavior. Behavior modification can reduce licking in this case. Good luck!

I was a professional dog trainer in the US for many years. We used bitter apple spray very effectively to stop unwanted chewing, licking, etc. Bitter apple only works if you apply it correctly. First, spray some on your fingers and then rub that on the back of the dogs tongue. You do this because the receptors for the bitter taste are located there and the dog will get a good idea of what's in store if he detects the smell and starts licking. Then you can apply to the dogs's feet. If you don't get the back of the tongue, the dog will lick with the front of his tongue and cannot taste the bitter apple, so no deterrent. The best brand of bitter apple we found is Grannick's Bitter Apple. I don't know if it is available in Thailand, but you can get it on Amazon. Good luck. PM me if you have any questions.

Google can suck a fart.

Get over it mate, jeez.

I'm wondering just how this helps the OP with the problem that started this thread.

Seems to have turned into a P1$$ing contest!

'Bitter Apple' spray comes to mind. It can be applied directly to animal. Results can vary. Dog's feet can be the site for allergic responses. If your pouch has contact allergies (grasses/chemicals/etc.) incessant licking of the feet can result. Careful observation for trends in licking may support or eliminate allergies. Giving the dog a Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and watching to see if licking has stopped may confirm allergies. Feet licking may be associated with nervous behavior. Behavior modification can reduce licking in this case. Good luck!

I was a professional dog trainer in the US for many years. We used bitter apple spray very effectively to stop unwanted chewing, licking, etc. Bitter apple only works if you apply it correctly. First, spray some on your fingers and then rub that on the back of the dogs tongue. You do this because the receptors for the bitter taste are located there and the dog will get a good idea of what's in store if he detects the smell and starts licking. Then you can apply to the dogs's feet. If you don't get the back of the tongue, the dog will lick with the front of his tongue and cannot taste the bitter apple, so no deterrent. The best brand of bitter apple we found is Grannick's Bitter Apple. I don't know if it is available in Thailand, but you can get it on Amazon. Good luck. PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks, I can buy it from Ebay.

Google can suck a fart.

Get over it mate, jeez.

I'm wondering just how this helps the OP with the problem that started this thread.

I'm beginning to think the OP doesn't want any help, reading some of his replies.

OK, you eat a pound of chocolate - do you die?

A dog will die!

Dogs are different o humans.

as an example. They cannot make Vitamin D in their skin......

OP Also search YouTube for things like:

how to stop a dog from licking his paws cesar millan

Why would a person or dog eat a pound of chocolate?

Perhaps a greedy person?

The dog stole the chocolate - it happens, I promise you.

There is quite a list of what will kill a dog and not humans.

BTW the biggest killer is shop bought dog food.

Best bet buy cheap cracked rice and make your own.

Items to avoid Reasons to avoid Alcoholic beverages Can cause intoxication, coma, and death. Avocado The leaves, seeds, fruit, and bark contain persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system. Cat food Generally too high in protein and fats. Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea and be toxic to the heart and nervous systems. Citrus oil extracts Can cause vomiting. Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis. Fish (raw, canned or cooked) If fed exclusively or in high amounts can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. Grapes, raisins and currants Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys. There have been no problems associated with grape seed extract. Hops Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death. Human vitamin supplements containing iron Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys. Macadamia nuts Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle. Marijuana Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate. Milk and other dairy products Some adult dogs and cats may develop diarrhea if given large amounts of dairy products. Moldy or spoiled food, garbage Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs. Mushrooms Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death. Onions and garlic(raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions. Persimmons Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis. Pits from peaches and plums Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract. Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption ofbiotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella. Raw meat May contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea.* Rhubarb leaves Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. Salt If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances. String Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body." Sugary foods Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus. Table scraps (in large amounts) Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed. Tobacco Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death. Yeast dough Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines. Xylitol (artificial sweetener) Can cause very low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), which can result in vomiting, weakness and collapse. In high doses can cause liver failure.

Hhahahahaahahahaahahah. OMG shop bought food is the biggest killers of dogs??? Dude I cant stop laughing at your nonsensical post. Hahahahahahahahaah

OP on a serious note...try just a little tabasco on the area in question. Worst that can happen is it doesnt work. As far as shocking collars, cant get any here in Thailand I dont think.

Sometimes what is annoying to us, isnt annoying to the animals. Good luck with it and if you get something to work, let us know what did it. Im interested.

Google can suck a fart.

Get over it mate, jeez.

I'm beginning to think the OP doesn't want any help, reading some of his replies.

I'm prepared to listen to any advice from people who have had the same problem as myself and have had good results with whatever they have tried. Not people who feed their dog chocolate and suggest electric collars.

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Hi I used to be a vet nurse, and If no obvious, cuts, torn nails, grass seeds, ingrown hair around the nail bed, fungal infection...you can usually tell that one, as there paws stink, but most likely cause is a vitamin deficiency, or he could have a seasonal allergy to a certain plant or grass, try him on anti histamines for a while see if this does any good, for vitamin deficiency he would need a blood test. If neither of these the other reason could be stress, some purer breed dogs suffer from this, especially if there have been changes round the home, and he may need medication. If not any of these it may just be habitual like nail biting in people, in which case give him distractions, eg a nice big juicy bone, toys to play with, lots of attention and walks, anything to take his mind off his feet.

Personally I would try the anti histamine first, check on line for dog products, under vet guidance as they are all different and depending on his weight he may need the dosage adjusting.

When I first glanced at your OP I thought you were asking "How can you stop your dog from licking Your paws"...and I thought to myself...."Why"....I think it would be quite nice....sort of like a massage. Maybe that's what he /she/it... feels too.

Hi I used to be a vet nurse, and If no obvious, cuts, torn nails, grass seeds, ingrown hair around the nail bed, fungal infection...you can usually tell that one, as there paws stink, but most likely cause is a vitamin deficiency, or he could have a seasonal allergy to a certain plant or grass, try him on anti histamines for a while see if this does any good, for vitamin deficiency he would need a blood test. If neither of these the other reason could be stress, some purer breed dogs suffer from this, especially if there have been changes round the home, and he may need medication. If not any of these it may just be habitual like nail biting in people, in which case give him distractions, eg a nice big juicy bone, toys to play with, lots of attention and walks, anything to take his mind off his feet.

Personally I would try the anti histamine first, check on line for dog products, under vet guidance as they are all different and depending on his weight he may need the dosage adjusting.

I'm going to try changing his diet first, just cooked mince and rice with some Omega 3 and Evening Primrose supplements. See how that goes, if it doesn't make any difference, I'll try anti histamines.

• Like 1

When I first glanced at your OP I thought you were asking "How can you stop your dog from licking Your paws"...and I thought to myself...."Why"....I think it would be quite nice....sort of like a massage. Maybe that's what he /she/it... feels too.

Not when that's all they want to do.

It's possible the dog has a fungal infection. Seems that most vets go looking for mites etc and never think of checking something simple like this - maybe not so much money to be made from the treatment? I shampooed my dog's feet with dandruff shampoo or selenium sulfide shampoo (from the drug store) and rinsed well. After a couple of treatments got rid of the fungus and she's only doing a short cleaning now.

Is quite possible. We have 2 dogs who have both had fungal infections...one on the lower legs and paws and the other one on the flanks. Cured both with copious amounts of gentian violet. The one with the infected paws did not lick so much but was always restless. The other scratched a lot until bleeding. Probably better tings available than gentian v but it is safe and both anti fungal and antiseptic. It was a relief to know it was not mange!