How can I stop my dog licking his paws?

giddyup

My dog also had this problem, after ages searching for advice and getting nowhere I cut his tongue out and hacked all 4 paws off. It might seem extreme but the problem stopped... As did his heart beat

Kidding of course, just staple his mouth shut

Poor attempt at humour.

This is not normal have you changed food or treats? The dog is licking because something is wrong , yes they will lick a little but not for an hour. Find another vet.

I have already tried two vets, there is not one answer, it could be one of several things. Matter of trial and error.

Edited by giddyup

What is the problem? They lick balls and asses too .

You know nothing about dogs, and probably haven't bothered to read the posts, so if you have nothing useful to contribute I suggest you find something else to do.

I havent read all the posts either but...

Put some marmite on his balls, that should shift his focus away from his paws smile.png

Another would-be comedian. Don't give up your day job.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Licking to me from my experience is just natural for dogs to clean themselves off. Unless there is a infection or the licking is causing some type of skin rash etc.. the licking might be a way for it to relax itself? it is still a puppy in time I think it will stop but for yourself it bothers you why? is it licking you? is it causing a problem like if the dog was chewing on shoes or other items. I say get over it?

You really don't have a clue do you? Cleaning the paws by licking doesn't last for hours on end, it's an obsession. So, your answer is just ignore it? What do you think starts to happen to the skin on their paws with the constant licking?

It never cease to amaze me the people who post questions on Thaivis asking for help and pretty much get all defensive if the answer is not to their liking. Is this a old age thing I wonder here or are some people just brain dead.

For your record... I have 9 dogs 9 dogs! you got what! one shit head licker and you are worrying yourself about it licking his pawn to death. No where in your orgiinal post you state even after taking it to the Vet.. that the licking is causing any type of infection " think starts to happen to the skin " the Vet determination there isn't a skin problem right! Even as you say licking for hours? Maybe the problem is you? Control freak! maybe the obsession is you wanting the dog to be perfect!

Don't worry you are ignored, you have no business having a dog or any type of pet!

!

• Like 2

Haven't read through the thread so I apologize if this has been previously brought up.

Had the same problem with my pooch, licking paws non-stop. he dog had an allergy to a specific food. Info came from the vet. Swapping out food stuffs identified the culprit. After modifying the diet the licking stopped. Vet also offered that a vitamin deficiency may be the culprit but is unlikely.

The Veterinarian was adamant that the licking of paws is a sign of, and indicates an allergy.

Good luck.

Our shih-tzu has had the same obsessive licking of his front paws. It developed when he was about four and by the age of six he had grown out of it. He's now eight, very fussy about his food, insists on frequent bathing and has had no recurrence of the paw-licking habit.

Sometimes groomers cut the nails too close to the quick and the dog will frantically lick their paws in an effort to reduce the pain. Such wounds can be slow to heal. This might lead to a long-term habit in some dogs.