Visa run from Phuket - alternative to Penang?

I am leaving Thailand in a couple of weeks to get a 3 month non-B Visa.

I have previously got the bus to Penang from Phuket - it was a nightmarish trip.

Are there any other destinations where I could get my Non-B without a bus journey? I would prefer not to pay too much money if possible.

You can fly on Firefly to Penang from Phuket. KL is an option by air but the embassy is not the friendliest place to go for a via.

You can get domestic flights to Udon Thani and then go from there by van to the bridge in Nong Kai to cross over to Vientiane.

Fly to Kuala Lumpur via Air Asia. Nomad Su Casa hotel is 2 blocks from the Thai embassy, book two nights. Turn in your paperwork one morning, pick up the next afternoon. Take an evening flight out. Explore Kuala Lumpur while you're there. This is our normal place to get visas in Asia.

I did a visa run by plane to Penang from Phuket last month.

The airline I went with was Firefly but there are other airlines doing the same route. Expect to pay anywhere from 6,000 to 12,000 Baht for a return flight. I got mine for around 7,000 B, booked 2 days in advance.

I flew out on the Sunday afternoon and stayed in the Georgetown City Hotel. The hotel was 30 minutes from the airport and around 50 MLR - around 500 B - for a taxi. Rooms at the hotel were 1,000 B per night (booked on Agoda). The rooms were a little on the small side but the hotel was pleasant, helpful staff, good food, reasonably priced, fast wifi and 28 floors (so, ask for a high floor if you want it quiet).

Monday morning I was at the Thai Consulate for 09:00, which was 1km from the hotel and an easy 10-15 minute stroll down the road. They only process visa applications 09:00 to 12:00 (or 12:30) so do not rely on a flight which gets you there mid morning. I was in and out by 9:30am.

I got the visa back at 2:00pm on Tuesday. This is how long it takes to get the visa and so you will need to stay overnight on the day you apply for the visa. If your return flight is on the same day you get the visa back, the earliest you will possibly be able to get to the airport is 3:00pm, so your flight back really needs to be after 5:00pm.

All in all it was a pleasant, stress free trip and I flew back to Phuket on Wednesday. Yes, over three times the price of a visa run by van but I got to have a look around Penang for a couple of days, got plenty of sleep and actually enjoyed the trip.

I hope this helps!!

Edited by PJ33

if u use an agent (Jim, Banana gh, MInigood hotel) they will get ur ur visa by noon the day after u apply, so max 2 nights in Penang.

Flew once by firefly as i recall it was under 6,000 baht r/t book a month in advance

still cheaper to fly north and use Laos.

Never heard of Kayak.com huh?

Try Adioso.com

Enter your home airport the dates you need to be out of the country applying for your visa and chose the destination "anywhere". Adioso will fight all flights to and from Phuket to all countries nearby and list their prices. Chose one that has a Thai embassy or consul and book. You can set Adioso to run this search automatically and email you fare changes. For example i know I need to do a visa run on April 5. I just set home airport, date April 5 destination anywhere. Adioso will email me weekly with fare drops and even tell me the amount of drop to SEA countries. Then just grab a room last minute with Agoda. Done

• Like 1