PM's reference to coup clarified

webfact

I'll bet my left ball there will be another coup within 5 years of the next election..... If and when an election takes place!

A leopard doesn t change it spots and what else can the Thai military do that they actually have experience in!

Prayut was quoted in the Nikkei Times as saying:

http://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Economy/Policy-Politics/Thai-leader-pledges-to-weed-out-corruption-before-election

"The military has its proper role as a government agency, so don't worry," Prayuth said, while not ruling out the possibility of future interventions. "Thailand is different from other countries. If something cannot be solved [by the government], the military will solve it."

I'm not sure how to interpret this other than a threat of future coups!

No matter what that used-car-salesman spokesman is trying to spin. These guys must cringe anytime Prayuth opens his mouth.

Says it all doesn´t it.....

Can someone tell me a SINGLE civic or political problem the army have solved in Thailand's history?

They got rid of Thaksin.wai.gif

That is the peoples job, not the army´s, whether you like it or not, or think it is right or wrong. It is called democracy..

• Like 2

What's the penalty for leading an illegal coup? this needs to be clarified

Which illegal coup? The last two were legal. It said so in the 2006 and 2014 interim constitutions.

Sarcasm aside, is there such a thing as a legal coup?

Military coups are like a game of poker. Four of a kind beats a full house. Tanks beat constitutions.

I'll bet my left ball there will be another coup within 5 years of the next election..... If and when an election takes place!

A leopard doesn t change it spots and what else can the Thai military do that they actually have experience in!

I bet a lot of TV members will remind you in 5 years time! In the mean time I strongly advice you not to bet on the right one...

THAI-US RELATIONS
Thailand has no conflicts with US : Sansern

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has no conflicts with the United States following the comment by a top US diplomat against Thailand's political situation, said deputy government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd on Thursday.

The comment was made off-the-record and in the context of one democratic country to another, Sansern said. "Thailand has no interest in coming into conflict with the United States," he said.

The spokesman has also clarified to the US government regarding Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha's interview with the Nikkei news agency.

He explained that the army was not planning to assume control of the Kingdom in the future, but has stepped in to help restore democracy and achieve national reform.

Sansern also dismissed rumors that ex-Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was planning to take political asylum in the United States via the US embassy in Chiang Mai province.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Thailand-has-no-conflicts-with-US-Sansern-30253936.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-12

Can someone tell me a SINGLE civic or political problem the army have solved in Thailand's history?

I think that the above statement belongs in the present continuous tense.

It's an ongoing process and still a part of the unfolding narrative.

No definitive resolution has yet been reached.

In the US that type of speech is what we call "spin," and I'm dizzy.

You are right and it's because no one can question these jokers. Thais of all sorts never really get cross examined so the depth their BS knows no bounds. Amazing!

That even applies to your high school teacher....... cheesy.gif

Can´t have ´m loosing face when they know less than the students whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What's the penalty for leading an illegal coup? this needs to be clarified

Which illegal coup? The last two were legal. It said so in the 2006 and 2014 interim constitutions.

Sarcasm aside, is there such a thing as a legal coup?

No but look around there are lot's of countries where one would be a big help. Such as the one we had here in Thailand.

People are for the most part not that smart. They think that every thing that is legal is good and every thing that is illegal is bad. No in between.

That is the peoples job, not the army´s, whether you like it or not, or think it is right or wrong. It is called democracy..

You have no idea about what you are talking about. The question was name one political thing the Army the Army has solved.

Not who's job is it?

Democracy is not when the minority of the population wins the seat such as happened here when the PTP took over power when 51% did not want them. Democracy is not when a wanted criminal runs the country.

Get your facts straight. The one's you are playing with do not match reality.

Right or wrong those are the realities we had in Thailand.

You could be rite.

I don't think so but yes there is the possibility that Thaksin will try some thing in the future. Not sure if he realizes it but before the army stepped in and brought peace to the nation there was red shirts saying they wanted Thaksin out of politics.

You have no idea about what you are talking about. The question was name one political thing the Army the Army has solved.

Not who's job is it?

Democracy is not when the minority of the population wins the seat such as happened here when the PTP took over power when 51% did not want them. Democracy is not when a wanted criminal runs the country.

Get your facts straight. The one's you are playing with do not match reality.

Right or wrong those are the realities we had in Thailand.

Well I have posted these comments before but here I go again, who is responsible for the lack of education in this country?

When your children are fighting do you interfere and create a compromise where no one is happy or let them sort it out for themselves?

If the police and the army did their jobs and stopped the illegal weapons (which most seem to have come from them in the first place) , maintained safety then there wouldn´t have been people killed !! Yes maybe maimed and injured but that happened in ALL of our democratic countries and for the most part they turned out OK. Sure nothing is perfect but my point is how will the population EVER learn if ¨Dad¨ keeps stepping in? Sooner or later they will learn that these politicians are ripping them off, they will learn that voting for 500 Baht doesn´t really do them any good (as with the rice scheme, where some people committed suicide over it), but they need enough time to work it out for themselves. But like all of us they have to learn it for themselves, and sometimes that is the hard way. If the population makes a mistake let them fix it themselves, they are responsible for it !!

This is the time line of governments in Thailand (below) from Wikipedia, the green lines speak for themselves as do the short periods in control for the rest of them. When has a coup EVER fixed things, it hasn´t worked since 1932 or earlier, why do you think it will work this time? Maybe that is what they want, another failure and an excuse to step in again !!

The army works for the ELECTED government, the ELECTED government works for the people that elected them, simple concept really..... Right,wrong or not what you agree with that is the way it works and despite all of it´s pitfalls I haven´t seen anything better or fairer yet !!H

How would you feel if someone you didn´t agree with was FORCING their views and opinions on you? It is wrong no matter what you view on life is IMHO.

That is why a coup is considered treason in most of our countries.

Timeline

a99a6f6e54cb7159e06ac109effeb847.png

• Like 1

You could be rite.

I don't think so but yes there is the possibility that Thaksin will try some thing in the future. Not sure if he realizes it but before the army stepped in and brought peace to the nation there was red shirts saying they wanted Thaksin out of politics.

So as I said, if the army and police did their REAL jobs, then the people would have worked it out for themselves.... eventually, given enough time !!!

But I guess that doesn´t suit the REAL agenda does it ?

There will not be a coup, there will not be a coup, there will not be a coup! *Coup happens* There will not be another one....maybe...

Thailand's saviors ladies and gents, just like they have been for the last 70 odd years whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

There are no problems in the rice scheme, it's self financing, we've made G2G contracts but have to keep them secret, there are no quality or inventory problems, there is enough money in the scheme no need to borrow more, the farmer's will be paid next week I vow, the amnesty bills have all been withdrawn, I am in charge not my brother, there is no corruption in my government, there will not be a cabinet reshuffle, my helicopter doesn't fly at night, etc etc etc

You could take just about any politician, from any political party or faction and compile similar lists, of varying sizes, of blatant lie after lie after lie. Just about all of "Yingluck's" (haha) cabinet - they even said lying was ethical and o k if it made people feel better.

It seems something all Thais accept as normal.

Politicians in the West can be economical with the truth, spin things and downright devious liars - but not quite as blatant, open, whoppers as here.

Not too bad a promotion from colonel to major general Sansern for a good spinning job at CRES and his current new job. At least he still keep his skill set.

Almost as good as becoming a Prime Minister of a country with zero political or other relevant skills or experiences.

Presumably chosen due to the fact her billionaire criminal fugitive brother owns the party, paid a salary to them above their MP's one, called all the shots and picked his billionaire Amply Rich little sister as his nominee.

Nepotism - alive and well in Thailand.

• Like 1

Not too bad a promotion from colonel to major general Sansern for a good spinning job at CRES and his current new job. At least he still keep his skill set.

Ah, Colonel Sansern, the darling of the media. This from "The Nation" before it discovered some sort of conscience;

Saluting the kingdom's coolest colonel
By The Nation

Published on May 30, 2010

CRES spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd tells The Nation's trainee reporter, Onravee Tangmeesang, about life in the hot seat during the recent troubles, and the importance of laughter.

He's been on primetime television every other day recently. He's that guy in uniform who catches every woman's eye. He makes viewers giggle despite the tension, and has a smile to melt the coldest heart. With his winning personality, he has to be a strong contender for Man of the Year award.

The man we're talking about is Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd - spokesman for the Centre of the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES).

Surely even the most avid junta apologist would get embarrassed about that eulogy?

Edited by TheDiva
  • Like 1

THAI-US RELATIONS

Thailand has no conflicts with US : Sansern

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has no conflicts with the United States following the comment by a top US diplomat against Thailand's political situation, said deputy government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd on Thursday.

The comment was made off-the-record and in the context of one democratic country to another, Sansern said. "Thailand has no interest in coming into conflict with the United States," he said.

The spokesman has also clarified to the US government regarding Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha's interview with the Nikkei news agency.

He explained that the army was not planning to assume control of the Kingdom in the future, but has stepped in to help restore democracy and achieve national reform.

Sansern also dismissed rumors that ex-Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was planning to take political asylum in the United States via the US embassy in Chiang Mai province.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Thailand-has-no-conflicts-with-US-Sansern-30253936.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-02-12

Good of the Junta to clarify that the prepared speech in front of hundreds at Thailands premier university backed up by comments from the senior US diplomat in Thailand and the State Department in Washington was just an "off-the-record" remark. Shame nobody told all the press that were there that they weren't supposed to report it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There will not be a coup, there will not be a coup, there will not be a coup! *Coup happens* There will not be another one....maybe...

Thailand's saviors ladies and gents, just like they have been for the last 70 odd years alt=whistling.gif> alt=rolleyes.gif>

There are no problems in the rice scheme, it's self financing, we've made G2G contracts but have to keep them secret, there are no quality or inventory problems, there is enough money in the scheme no need to borrow more, the farmer's will be paid next week I vow, the amnesty bills have all been withdrawn, I am in charge not my brother, there is no corruption in my government, there will not be a cabinet reshuffle, my helicopter doesn't fly at night, etc etc etc

You could take just about any politician, from any political party or faction and compile similar lists, of varying sizes, of blatant lie after lie after lie. Just about all of "Yingluck's" (haha) cabinet - they even said lying was ethical and o k if it made people feel better.

It seems something all Thais accept as normal.

Politicians in the West can be economical with the truth, spin things and downright devious liars - but not quite as blatant, open, whoppers as here.

Almost as good as becoming a Prime Minister of a country with zero political or other relevant skills or experiences.

Presumably chosen due to the fact her billionaire criminal fugitive brother owns the party, paid a salary to them above their MP's one, called all the shots and picked his billionaire Amply Rich little sister as his nominee.

Nepotism - alive and well in Thailand.

Yeah it´s all part of the culture, the same as kids being grateful for being bought into this world and not parents being responsible for it. Hey it´s a pension fund I guess.

But I have faith that people everywhere get tired of being down trodden and will do something about it sooner or later (even China is changing). Hey it´s what Thaksin offered them... something, instead of the usual same same. It may have taken a while but I think they would have woken up eventually. But I guess we will never know now huh?

Ah Thai Utopia, all it would REALLY take is one of these clowns to do the right thing.... (by the electorate and not themselves). It´s all Thai culture. When I first got here I was excited to be able to wtch a country grow up and mature before my eyes, I just don´t think it will happen in my lifetime anymore. Sad really...

"The comment was made off-the-record and in the context of one democratic country to another"

Somehow I don't think the USA comments were directed at UK, Japan, Australia, India or any other DEMOCRATIC country. I thought Thailand outlawed what this spokesman is smoking.

You could be rite.

So as I said, if the army and police did their REAL jobs, then the people would have worked it out for themselves.... eventually, given enough time !!!

But I guess that doesn´t suit the REAL agenda does it ?

This is a real world we live in. If you want to live in the world of IF why not play it to the hilt world peace no one dying of starvation no poor people and on and on you go.

You are playing in a world with no rules but you only put your little toe in it.

You speak of given time. Are you7 willing to give the coup the time it needs. NO

I am perfectly willing to sit back and watch it happen. In the real world the country would have gone in to civil war with out the Army intervening. I guess that was is acceptable to you.

This is a real world we live in. If you want to live in the world of IF why not play it to the hilt world peace no one dying of starvation no poor people and on and on you go.

You are playing in a world with no rules but you only put your little toe in it.

You speak of given time. Are you7 willing to give the coup the time it needs. NO

I am perfectly willing to sit back and watch it happen. In the real world the country would have gone in to civil war with out the Army intervening. I guess that was is acceptable to you.

There was no need for a coup and things would NEVER have got to the stage of civil war as you put it if the relevent institutions had performed the tasks they were supposed to ! These things were done for other reasons and NONE of it was with the majority of the people in mind. In a democracy the majority rule whether you (or anyone else) agree with it or not! Civil rights all around the world were NEVER given they were fought for!!!

It was because the army (and police) NEVER intervened when they should have and for the right reasons (in the support of the elected government and for the people and democracy) that there could have been a civil war!! Where were the weapons coming from?

Did you look at the political timeline? The army was in charge from around 1948 to around 1976, again from around 1978 to around 1988 (approx) then there have been the resent issues. Continual interference is what is causing the problem, not preventing it. Do the job you are supposed to do, you are public servants and let the child grow up! This is the REAL world as you put it, it always has been and always will be. There will be REAL bloodshed one day if this does not stop, and there have been and are plenty of examples of that.

This is the answer to your question, I could have never said it better.

Thailand's "normal political system had come to a dead end" when the military chose not to support the Constitution and the Thai People's sovereignty but rather take the law into its own hands to abrogate the People's soverneignty, rights and liberties.

Following a legal constitutional privision, Yingluck instituted a State of Emergency which the military refused to support. When Suthep called for insurrection, the military stood silent. When Suthep violated Thai's right to vote, the military stood silent. When Suthep occupied the Government House and declared himself in control of the government, the military stood silent. The military didn't just meet the Thai democratic political system at its end, it was complicit in its death.

It's no wonder tthat after the coup the military rushed to grant itself amnesty for violating the sovereignty of the Thai Peoples. How noble was that?

Edited for clarity

Edited by RigPig

"Dubai Dude" did move on, but if the Military had done it right that time we would no be where we are today. I believe they are trying to do it right this time, with little or no blood shed.