Selling my vehicle, new rules?

herkycan

A 'Letter of Residence' for a farang used to cost 300 baht at Phuket Immigration - but a spokesmen for that office has indicated they are now free ( and always should have been)

Oh no , I used the word 'farang' !

I hope Eliot doesnt have a little hissy fit! 555

No hissy fit; just shows that you don't understand what the word actually means

Exceptions or no; "farangs" CAN be Thai citizens and foreigners CAN be "non-farang" so very silly and ignorant choice if word in this scenario:)

What an obnoxious person we have posting here !!! Must be bored sitting at home and picking holes wherever he can. Quite simply deduced by the lack of any help or comment regarding the op.

I recently purchased a m/cycle and had to obtain a cert from immigration. When I renewed my d/licence I had to obtain one for m/c and one more for the car.

I am a ferang, and proud of it. What are you?

Edit ... I did p/x a car about 3 years ago and the dealer did everything without the need for an immigration cert. perhaps money talks it's own language.

Edited by billphillips
  • Like 2

maybe it would help if the whole post and replies were in English and not Tinglish

It would also help if people chilled out a little and stopped splitting hairs... some of those being most critical of the incorrect use of the word Farang and wether its use in this topic is relevant are also making spelling and grammar errors... it would be pedantic to keep raising these issues and derail the thread.

It's easy enough to work out exactly what the Op meant... can some just pretend the Op meant 'Foreigner' and get back to the topic which may be useful for some when the time comes to sell their car / bike.

When scrolling through a useful topic such as this it's pain in the neck having to filter out the childish responses from those who's ego's outweigh common sense.

On Topic:

Has anyone else [who is a Foreigner to Thailand] managed to sell their vehicle recently without an Affirmation of Residence from either their Embassy or Immigration (if they are not holding a Work Permit or house book) ?

I also would like an answer to this as I may also be selling my car shortly

Sold my old MU7 just last year to as a private sale. Department of Land Transport wanted to see my passport and work permit. I split the small fee with the buyer to transfer Tambian Rot. I have bought and sold 4 cars so far this way over the years. Not sure how it would be done if I didn't have a work permit but I'm sure it can be done.

Sold my old MU7 just last year to as a private sale. Department of Land Transport wanted to see my passport and work permit. I split the small fee with the buyer to transfer Tambian Rot. I have bought and sold 4 cars so far this way over the years. Not sure how it would be done if I didn't have a work permit but I'm sure it can be done.

Yes, can be done with certificate of residence or yellow house book if you don't have a work permit.

Yes, can be done with certificate of residence or yellow house book if you don't have a work permit.

When I sold my car to another foreigner in November I was not asked for a Work Permit or an Affirmation of Residence. Perhaps this was a slip up by the DLT, however, this led me to the impression that it was only the buyer who was required to provide proof of address through either their Work Permit, Affirmation of Residence or House Book.

When I sold my car to another foreigner in November I was not asked for a Work Permit or an Affirmation of Residence. Perhaps this was a slip up by the DLT, however, this led me to the impression that it was only the buyer who was required to provide proof of address through either their Work Permit, Affirmation of Residence or House Book.

I was replying to somebody who was asked for work permit. Officially also for selling wp or yellow book or certificate of address is required. But not all DLT's always ask for this.

The 'seller' shouldn't have to produce proof of address as they already went through the process to 'buy' the vehicle and their address is recorded in the vehicles documentation. The DLA may request proof you are still at that address though.

The 'buyer' will have to provide proof of address for the records to be changed and that can be shown in a number of different ways;

1. Work permit.

2. Affirmation letter from Embassy.

3. Certificate of residence from Immigration.

4. Certificate of residence from local Police Station.

5. Tabian Ban (House book)

A work permit is OK so long as you work. Certificates of residence have a validity of 30 days and need to be replaced every time you need to show proof of address again for the umpteenth time.

The permanent answer is to get your own Tabian Ban (House book) which never expires.

When I have any need to conduct any business with a government department, I find a copy of my passport and Tabian Ban are all that is required as proof of identity and address. Buying/selling a vehicle, tax, driving licence, Immigration............the list goes on.

No more bothering my landlord for copies of their ID card and Tabian Ban, no more running around to get proof of residence and no more expenditure, save the cost of a couple of copies from my printer in the comfort of my own home.

Geez! Some of you guys make hard work of living in Thailand.

The certificate of residency is suppose to be free and take 7-10 days to obtain.
BUT, the immigration guy at CM consistently charges 500 baht for immediate service and if you don't pay him the (call it what you want) it can take up to 30 days.
I really wish immigration would crack down on this guy... he is a PITA.

When I traded my bike on a new one 18 months ago I needed TWO, one to sell and one to buy

That is exactly what I had to do recently when I traded my car.

My experience of buying a bike was the same... Ferang seller needed a cert, me as the buyer needed another.

It seems that no hard and fast rules exist.

The rule is proof of identity and proof of address.

The Thais use their ID card and Tabian Ban.

Farangs use their passport...............then make it hard for themselves because they can't be bothered getting a Tabian Ban.

The next best thing is a certificate of residence, which many are charged for when they should be free.

Tabian bans are supplied free of charge.

hi,

it's no longer a requirement at samui's DLT for foreign seller to provide a proof of residency or for a thai seller to provide a copy of his tabien baan.

after all the adress is already in the book.

Edited by NHJ

Thanks gentlemen, guess I am off to immigration and see what happens. Wish me luck!

Anything you do in Thailand with regard to a vehicle, either buy or sell, either a car or a motorbike...requires a RESIDENT CERTIFICATE from immigration. This includes adding or deleting a name from the owner books.

I have bought new cars from dealers here and have not had to have a residents cert.

Thanks gentlemen, guess I am off to immigration and see what happens. Wish me luck!

Anything you do in Thailand with regard to a vehicle, either buy or sell, either a car or a motorbike...requires a RESIDENT CERTIFICATE from immigration. This includes adding or deleting a name from the owner books.

I have bought new cars from dealers here and have not had to have a residents cert.
Do you have a work permit or yellow housebook?

A 'Letter of Residence' for a farang used to cost 300 baht at Phuket Immigration - but a spokesmen for that office has indicated they are now free ( and always should have been)

Exceptions or no; "farangs" CAN be Thai citizens and foreigners CAN be "non-farang" so very silly and ignorant choice if word in this scenario:)

What an obnoxious person we have posting here !!! Must be bored sitting at home and picking holes wherever he can. Quite simply deduced by the lack of any help or comment regarding the op.

I recently purchased a m/cycle and had to obtain a cert from immigration. When I renewed my d/licence I had to obtain one for m/c and one more for the car.

I am a ferang, and proud of it. What are you?

Edit ... I did p/x a car about 3 years ago and the dealer did everything without the need for an immigration cert. perhaps money talks it's own language.

"I am a ferang, and proud of it"

clap2.gif cheesy.gif

No more needs to be said here, perhaps you can take your quote, write it on a Hallmark card and give it to your mommycheesy.gif

Eliot pls go and troll somewhere else... You a ruining an otherwise informative thread....

On Topic: I don't see the logic in having to provide proof of address when selling a vehicle as the DLT already have it.

That said, logic isn't always at the forefront of the decision making process when business takes a bureaucratic turn.

• Like 2

Just did this yesterday in Korat. Seller, Farang, had to have immigration resident letter. Having said that, must also say that seller signed a "power of attorney", and did not show up in person. Last year I bought a motorcycle in Nong Khai. Seller Farang went with me to office and did not need letter, only passport. I needed letter from immigration.

I know of two "farangs" who have Thai citizenship and do not need any such letter to sell their vehicles

Seems like you and the op are full of bs. Perhaps you mean "non-Thai nationals need the letter???

A Farang with Thai citizenship is an exception not the norm, typically it is considered the Farang does not have citizenship so pull your head in and stop being an A-Hole.

but if you want to play the pedant game Farangs who have work permits also are not required to have a residence letter in their possession.

I don't think I'm being an "A-hole" by pointing out how ridiculous using the term "faring" in this instance is.

I'm pretty sure the same rules would apply to an Indian, African, or someone from another E. or S.E. Asian country.

Using the term like that just highlights the stupidity of some people. It is completely unnecessary.

Dude really do you have to be so petty? You dont have a dog in this fight, keeping your opinions and comments to yourself would be better.

• Like 1

A Farang with Thai citizenship is an exception not the norm, typically it is considered the Farang does not have citizenship so pull your head in and stop being an A-Hole.

but if you want to play the pedant game Farangs who have work permits also are not required to have a residence letter in their possession.

I don't think I'm being an "A-hole" by pointing out how ridiculous using the term "faring" in this instance is.

I'm pretty sure the same rules would apply to an Indian, African, or someone from another E. or S.E. Asian country.

Using the term like that just highlights the stupidity of some people. It is completely unnecessary.

Dude really do you have to be so petty? You dont have a dog in this fight, keeping your opinions and comments to yourself would be better.

I believe I have as much of a right to post and express my opinions as you do.

How's this for a topic? Does a black have to show proof of residency to sell a vehicle in Thailand?

You don't think people would be calling the person who asked that a fool? It is the same thing and I will call it out wherever I see it. If you don't like it, I suggest you find another forum.

How's this for a topic? Does a black have to show proof of residency to sell a vehicle in Thailand?

You don't think people would be calling the person who asked that a fool? It is the same thing and I will call it out wherever I see it. If you don't like it, I suggest you find another forum.

Mr Rosewater, Ill make sure I get right on this. But only after you return your home country passport to its rightful owner. You've been assimilated into the Thai way of thinking. Either way, you are still a white man in a little brown man's world. Hahahahah

Mr Rosewater, Ill make sure I get right on this. But only after you return your home country passport to its rightful owner. You've been assimilated into the Thai way of thinking. Either way, you are still a white man in a little brown man's world. Hahahahah

I believe the point of this forum is to give the OP ACCURATE advice. Saying a "farang" needs this paper or that is not ACCURATE information, as mentioned a "farang" can be a Thai national (and there are more out there than many of you realize, I currently know two, and in my experience here have known two others) and a non-Thai national can also be non-"farang"

The ACCURATE answer would be; a foreigner or non-Thai national needs this paper or that etc.

Why can some of you just NOT accept that this is true? I implore you to use another racial term such as "does a black need this form" or "does a hispanic need this form," go back to your home country and ask one of your countrymen this and see what kind of reaction you get?

This forum is mainly for expats and there is just no legitimate excuse to use that word in this context. Geez........it just amazes me that you can not see how silly you sound......

• Like 1

Ok simple question for you? What does your neighbor call you? A FARANG! No matter how you might try and spin it....you and every other white, non-thai person is a FARANG!

I know who I am and where I'm from. I may have to accept the word thrown around in Thai circles, but to hear a bunch of ex pats refer to themselves as such is just sad.

According to your logic, black people should just call themselves the N word because their neighbors call them that. Do you not realize just how ridiculous that is?

I have bought many motorbikes over the last 12 months. I have never required a certificate or residence from the SELLER. However, as the BUYER, I have always needed one. From the seller (if a farang) all I have needed are the signed transfer of ownership forms, and copies of passport - ID page and exit stamp.

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง [faràŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".

Won't take long that people here on this forum title each others as "Baksida."

To answer the OP's question, it differs from province to province. I sold two big bikes,gave the buyer- a foreigner- ( Thai word for it Khun Tangchaad) a copy of my work permit and all was okay.

It's really a little bit pedantic when foreigners here call each other "farang." facepalm.gif