Australians could boycott Indonesia over executions: FM

webfact

How many lives have been ruined by these drug runners/dealers, as far as im concerned they are getting what they deserve especially considering they all knew what could happen if caught .

alkohol is also a drug, how many lives have been ruined by supermarkets selling alkohol? it always depends on the consumer, not the seller. if one cannot handle this, its not the fault of the dealer.

nobody is forced to drink himself to death.now marihuana is already perfectly legal in some us-states, only a matter of time, until other countries follow. i still remember the time, when homosexuality was a big crime- women were not allowed to vote, or to go to university-, just ridicolous laws from the dark ages.

is the mountain responsible for the thousands of dead climbers every year? should mountain-climbing be forbidden? we should not let ourselves be deprived of the right of decision, be placed under disability, that is something worth to fight for, much more than some caricatures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schapelle_Corby

I refuse to go into arguments about death penalty. It is a question of ethics and religion. Every one to his own.

I am addressing the mere fact that Bishop is out of line trying to press Indonesia on their internal affair.

Indonesia has laws. Their laws are not kept secret. Travelers are warned. They must face the consequences.

It is not for our Ministers to moralize and preach to Governments of other countries with different laws, morals and customs.

If Corby case was not enough for drug smugglers - it is their business. Taking that Corby is free - the Indonesian Government should take a firm stand IMHO.

Threatening reprisals, boycott, even diplomatic ties severance over lives of two good for nothing drug smugglers who are accidentally Australian citizens is pure idiocy.

Do you hear me, Bishop? Add this my opinion to all those 'overwhelming' SMS's, Faxes and Letters you are referring to. And I'm sure I am not alone.

NOTE! I'm not saying spare them. I'm not saying kill them. I'm saying have RESPECT for your neighboring Nation, its Government and its Laws.

Edited by ABCer

If they really wanted to save these guys they would pull the foreign aid we send them currently at 500 million per year, they are only scoring political points and playing the australian public .

I wish. Fact is indonesia isn't a piddly backwater economy. As such$500m wouldn't be missed.

Fact is Australia probably gets more benefit from this spend as it works to help australian interests in other areas like counter terrorism where there is scope for mutual cooperation and advantage.

Agreed - if you look at the timeline of events from 9/11 onward, its clear that things only really improved after the tsunami and John Howard's 1 billion dollar pledge. The AFP worked closely with Made Pastika's Police to find the first group of bombers and the Indonesians eventually got Abu Bakhar Bashir on something that earned him a long time in jail : we have no way of knowing how much of JI's planning has been disrupted by both sides since then but the fact that Australia still hasnt seen an attack on the scale of London or Madrid tells me that the cops are doing their jobs. Canberra dropped the ball with our fruitcake 'Jihadist' in Martin Place and two innocent people died : they know it could have been a whole lot worse. 2015 is the tenth anniversary of the second Bali bombings - Jimbaran Beach and Kuta - the Indonesians know that another attack on foreign tourists would be a disaster for the island's economy.

Something else for those who want Australia to intervene occurred to me last night - when two Thai men were extradited to Melbourne in 2013/14 to face Australian justice after killing a man outside a nightclub several years earlier, I dont recall a single TVer insisting that they should be bought back to Thailand to serve out their time in their own country where they could be visited by family etc.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/09/18/two-thai-men-stand-trial-vic-murder

The crime was committed on Australian soil, but unlike Chan and Sukumaran these cowards refused to admit that they had done it, but it was their attempt to avoid extradition which really made my blood boil:

Members of their family have said they would appeal, while the men say they want their trial held in Thailand as they do not trust the Australian justice system.

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thai-murder-suspects-fight-extradition-to-australia.html

Thailand didnt see it that way and our friends are probably lying on their bunks watching TV as I type this - personally, I would have preferred to see them face the death penalty in Thailand but that's not how it works. Chan and Sukumaran could have been arrested when they got back to Oz and they may well have been reformed and living normal lives by now, but that's not how it went down. It's time we started accepting reality instead of trying to write scripts that see them walking out of Kerobokan sometime in 2040,

put this into the mix too.

something that is being overlooked here. indo is muslim. Australia is actively involved in killing muslims elsewhere on the planet. muslim brotherhood exists.

put that in your pipe and smoke it.

the executions will go ahead.

no i am atheist. i am just telling you the lie of the land which you seem to not see as important.

Indo has been fairly successful in suppressing Islamic extremism with local extremists killed or captured in the past ten years or so.

A few weeks ago 5 foreigners were executed for drug offences from different countries that have no involvement in Syria and Iraq. In the coming weeks another group of foreigners are currently on course for execution.

Indo in the largest receipient of foreign aid by Oz government, but DFAT had made it very clear in the bigger picture the the aid is in the Australia's national interest. In the not to distant future the Indo economy will surpass Australia; it's currently a G20 member country.

Indo government has been successful persuading foreign governments not to execute about six of its nationals, do not believe they were convicted for drug related offences. I guess the challenge for foreign governments is to persuade the Indos to change their Constituion and Penal Code in order to abolish the death sentence.

Indonesia has NOT been successful in curbing islamic extremism. The madrassas continue to teach hatred and to prepare students for jihad. They do so with impunity. Indonesia is a whisker away from sharia law. NU, the largest islamic organisation in the country, wants girls to have a virginity test before allowing them to graduation form high school. The execution of foreign drug mules is a bit of posturing by the utterly clueless Joko. Elected on the basis of ridding corruption, we see that in the first 4 months his nominee for national police chief has been up to his neck in unbridled corruption. The fact that the judges in the current drug case were also on the take...cash for leniency...surprises no one.

• Like 2