Length of time required on passport to renew retirement visa

Could someone inform me the required time you need on your passport to renew a retirement visa?

My retirement visa is due in September and my passport expires in February 2017. I've heard various times from 6 months to 18 months.

Essexman, firstly there is no such thing as a retirement "Visa" it is a 1 year extension to stay

on the grounds of retirement, based on an existing visa, usually a one year non-immigrant

visa.

There is ( in theory ) no limit to how long you need left on your passport to apply for or renew

a one year extension but you will only receive an extension until the expiry date of your passport.

Until recently, up until about 18 months ago, you could get an extension for the full year even if

your passport was expiring within that year and on renewing your passport they would transfer

your exsisting extension into your new passport. They no longer do this so now you must have a

full year left on your passport to get the full years extension. I don't know the reason for this change.

I have just renewed my passport in November last year because it was to expire in August this

year while my annual retirement extension, which I did yesterday, was/is due for renewal on the

16th of February annually.