Thai Medicine vs farang Medicine ?

VIPinthailand

VIPinthailand says ............

"what do you think about Thai Medicine. ?
I think it's cheaper and more effective. "

Really ?

Does "Thai Medicine" treat pneumonia , HIV, Cellulitis , meningitis, broken bones and heart attacks ?

Be specific and detail those conditions which "Thai medicine" treats more effectively and at a lesser cost .

Thanks

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

I think the op is poorly written and basically nonsensical.

I do think Thai medicine seems to be over issued.

By that I mean visit a doctor with a flu, and get given 5 or 6 different pills, where an aspirin and sleep would gave done.

The OP what do you really refer to thai medicine? Thai herbs ?Thai doctor prescription ? Or you really meant local/generic medicine and original. You should be clear before more quacks come.

In my personal opinion, the generic is effective enough BUT come with stronger side effects compared to original ones. Some local ones are really poor quality so depend on which company and brand you use as well.

Thai medicine as I understand it is basically Western medicine at its maximum, i.e. unhibited use of antibiotics and anti-viral medicine, while more and more people in the West have a bad opinion of antibiotics and medicine in general (due to tin-foil hat conspiracy theorists and fans of alternative medicines) and are trying to minimize antibiotics use and is generally not keen on using much medication, unless, of course, it's a lost cause already (palliative care).

So it's not really about "Thai medicine"... it's about how engaged your doctor is to get you fixed quickly. You can have the same medicine in the West as in Thailand, it depends on which doctor you are a client of.

Edited by manarak

The OP has an opinion, unsupported by reality, and that's OK. Reading through the health and wellness posts, you'll read that "organic red cider vinegar with mother" will solve EVERYTHING, including that annoying bulge in your wallet.

• Like 1

I see in Thailand many people who make their own Medicine from plants.

if you go pharmacy, you will see bottles of white syrup (white rabbit), and a black syrup (contain opium).

try it! , it works and you save lot of $$$ compared to Western medicine.

(I m rarely sick, I m talking about little illness.)

Edited by VIPinthailand

if you go pharmacy, you will see bottles of white syrup (white rabbit), and a black syrup (contain opium).

Well that opium works is well known in western medicine as well.

I showed some pills from Thai herbal medicine to my pharmacist in Europe. He is pretty old and he told he know all the herbs and when he studied he learned to use them and mix them. This specific combination was new to him and a bit more advanced than what he would have mixed but not something complete different.

Short version: We in Europe knew that very well, but don't use it anymore. Reason is clear, the herbs grow at no costs. The mix is common knowledge without copyright. So where would be the profit in selling it cheaply? Who would pay commission? Who would support the election campaign of the next corrupt politician?

In Thailand the knowledge is still partially alive, but in the separation of modern pharmacy and herbal pharmacy it will die as well. Additionally many good and real herbal things are mixed with complete nonsense -->Tiger Penis.....

Well if it contains opium........I'm in thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

this syrup has opium

post-231030-14241784811452_thumb.jpg

seriously have you tried Thai Medicine?

what do you think?

Edited by VIPinthailand

this syrup has opium

attachicon.gifIMG_20150217_200533~2.jpg

what do you think?

How much by volume ?

this syrup has opium

attachicon.gifIMG_20150217_200533~2.jpg

what do you think?

How much by volume ?

per cubic meter....

I do not know about "similar" countries, but the medicine in the US is a rip off. For most medications you can get over the counter in many countries, in the US do you need a prescription, to make you to consult a doctor to get it, to pay astronomic prices for it, or to get health insurance. That's why, many Americans are looking for treatment and medication in Mexico and Canada if they can. At least, I did myself, and most of my friends in San Diego cross the border to get it in Mexico.....where you can get a doctor consultation for $10.00 and for the same money the medication that will cost $80.00 in US pharmacies. And talking about that particular medication, that I use to keep my nasal allergy in control, here in Thailand cost $2.00 over the counter. Dermatological creams made in Thailand are more effective than similar in the US, and 10 times cheaper, the same for products used for muscle relaxation and pain killers. Many American doctors, that cannot not practice legally with its alternative medicine in the US, have practice in Thailand. One in particular, dedicated to nutrition, is a famous consultant in the field to international bio-pharmaceutical companies. He lives and work in Bangkok for the last 30 years researching herbal products. It is another US doctor in Chiang Mai with a very well known clinic, one of the few that can do live blood testing, and for 10 times cheaper than in the US.

Any more info about them, just ask me.

in Thailand you can get antibiotic near Tescos and it s cheap. (60 bahts)

In Europe I need to spend 6k bahts for a doc consultation and another 2000 bahts for a box of antibiotic to fix a stupid flu. non refundable by insurance.

Edited by VIPinthailand
  • Like 1

In Europe I need to spend 6k bahts for a doc consultation and another 2000 bahts for a box of antibiotic to fix a stupid flu. non refundable by insurance.

LOL, antibiotics can't fix a flu... 555

Maybe Europe is right to need a doc consultation, so people don't try to fix a flu with antibiotics.

Flu is a virus

Antibiotics work against bacteria, against living things. A virus isn't living, it is a piece of software to reprogram the cells and a mechanism to enter it. So it is impossible to kill a virus and hard to block its function.

don't know what you are talking about. I got flu, I got antibiotic and I m good to go.

maybe antibiotics should be really only per prescription......

Either you didn't had the flu but another infection.....many problems are called flu by many people but aren't or you had the flu (or a other virus) which usually is good after 2 weeks with or without antibiotics which coincident with the use of antibiotics.

Often people get a bacterial infection on top of a virus, in this case the antibiotics clears the bacterial infection. Maybe (I don't know) also the viral infection clears faster as the body don't need to fight 2 wars at the same time???

But be sure antibiotics will not, never without exception cure a flu....

don't know what you are talking about. I got flu, I got antibiotic and I m good to go.

You immune system needs about a week to clear a flu without medication - if you use antibiotics, it takes only seven days !!

Seriously, if antibiotics cured you, you didn't have a flu.

While you are wrong about the flu, I do agree that self prescribing is very useful for those that do have a clue.

And at a bargain price too!

This is a perfect example of the dangers of Thai pharmacies not requiring prescription. People like you don't understand medicine and think antibiotics are used to treat the flu. The flu is a virus. Antibiotics are for bacteria.

This alone shows the potential dangers in people buying their own medication when they have no idea what they are doing.

Hence the reason we have these people called "Dr's"......

• Like 1