Why I will never buy another Ford vehicle.

maderaroja

American cars made in Thailand, Philippines...??? Really.?? I new that Ford was making its engines in China long time ago, because was accused of slave labor, later in Mexico too.....but I tough that the high price here were reflecting some import taxes.

Now I understand the Ford's manager's response.

What it is the pride about "Made in the US" ..Gone?

Edited by umbanda

Something hard to understand for me. Why somebody will pay more than a million THB for a Ford Focus, when for the same price or less, can buy a top of the line Nissan Teana, Toyota Camry, or Honda Accord...

You might want to check the prices in Thailand for the cars you mention... but Iet me save you the trouble to help you understand smile.png

Ford Focus 759 -1.079k

Toyota Camry 1.279 - 1.879k

Honda Accord 1.299 - 1.799

Nissan Teana 1.270 - 1.570k

So there's quite a difference in price between the top of the line Focus and the others cars you mention, not same price or less.

In fact the top of the line Focus is on average 200,000 baht cheaper than even the most basic model of all the cars you claim are cheaper for a top line model...

Not to mention they are not the equivalent car he has compared them with in the states. All of the cars he compared it with here are also 10 to 15,000 more then a top line Focus with the exception of the RS and that's a performance model none of the others can match except maybe the G series.

Ford Focus is in the top two or three selling cars in the whole world, depending on which website you read so it shouldn't be surprising that it's manufactured in countries outside of the US such as the Philippines, Germany, Argentina, Russia, Vietnam, Portugal. The Focus models sold in Australia come from Thailand.

• Like 2

For a long while now. Made in ... anywhere means now "assembled ..."

Parts sourced worldwide, shipped in seacan to assembly plants, slap a "Made in ..." sticker on. Done.

* Fords in Thailand are assembled in Thailand, and they're mostly fine. Especially the pick-ups are solid. (Possibly because they're Mazda designs, but ok. smile.png )

You do know the mazda design content in a Ranger is less than 5% don't you.

American cars made in Thailand, Philippines...??? Really.?? I new that Ford was making its engines in China long time ago, because was accused of slave labor, later in Mexico too.....but I tough that the high price here were reflecting some import taxes.

Now I understand the Ford's manager's response.

Ford are a multi national manufacturing company same as Chevrolet (Opel, Vauxhaul) the current Focus was designed and initially built in Germany prior to being built around the world including the US.

Presently learned that the Ranger 5 pot diesel engine is a UK design and build. whistling.gif

Does that explain all the issues with it? Lol

Not sure really.......I personally think that it doesn't matter where anything is designed if they got it right.

My old 3.0 V6 Ford Essex engine was great, simple design. They replaced it with the 2.8 V6 Cologne engine which to me was bah.gif .

You got it wrong

Ford stands for FOUND ON ROAD DEAD

Really folks I have not bought an American car since the early 1990s for the very reason you are talking about. Things go wrong very quickly with American cars. I have driven Japanese and European cars for longer than 25 years now and never had a real major problem with them

So why belly ache Just because it says its made in America does not mean its GOOD

You got it wrong

Ford stands for FOUND ON ROAD DEAD

Really folks I have not bought an American car since the early 1990s for the very reason you are talking about. Things go wrong very quickly with American cars. I have driven Japanese and European cars for longer than 25 years now and never had a real major problem with them

So why belly ache Just because it says its made in America does not mean its GOOD

My Fords were not made in the USA.......Did 250,000 MILES in one.........

Any car is just a machine. If designed and manufactured by quality people, and maintained properly, good service will had from it.

My N. American Chevrolet Cavalier has over 270,000 km. Replaced the valve cover gasket because it was weeping. Rest original.

That's it. Is this not quality ?

So, the concensus, of those responding, seems to be that 148,000 km on a Ford and it is ready for the scrap heap. That is good to consider.

You all seem to prefer Toyotas, and new ones, at that.

I could not consider new car as the dealers do not carry stock, as is done in the U.S. I would not trust someone to "hold" my money for a year while a car is being assembled. And, why does it take a year to assemble a car, anyway?

So, I will take your suggestions under consideration. Thank you.

Assuming the OP is in BKK, keep in mind that 130K in BKK heat and traffic is a lot more stressful than 130K driving the highways of Texas.

I bought the top end 1.08M baht 2.0L Ford Focus about 18 months ago, and have had zero problems, although mine genuinely is low mileage. Dealer support and responsiveness has been great. Plus, compared to the similarly priced Toyota Altis competition, there is no comparison in terms of technology, performance and handling, at least to my driving taste. And with that performance, the Focus 2.0L engine gets better fuel economy than the Altis 1.8L engine.

IMHO, an Altis is just boring. As for details, even the interior hasn't really changed much in the last ten years. Check out the retro cheap LCD digital clocks they still use, even on the Camry. Sure, the depreciation it isn't nice on anything other than Japanese cars in Thailand due to Thai perceptions, but I really did not want to ride around in something I did not want because I was worried about depreciation.

Yes, everyone has their preferences and priorities, but there you go...just my opinion.

We have the same model, same age and pretty much the same reason for buying and similar experience except for having one issue with a relay box which needed replacing and was done under warranty.

Not only are those Altis and Civic boring but the Focus was also the only reasonably priced family sedan with full safety options such as 6 airbags. Not to mention things like moonroof, 9 speakers, advanced audio, better steering, high quality Michelin tyres, higher fuel economy but also enough power with 160 BHP.

6 airbags is such a basic thing these days in Europe but here the Altis and Civic top out at 4 airbags, I guess there are enough Thais who buy them anyway so why bother..

The age of 4 years or 100,000 km,.... whatever the car reaches first, then it's time to sell it, not to buy it. The humidity and the road conditions in Thailand destroy a vehicle faster than in European countries.

What has humidity got to do with anything.?

• Like 1

The age of 4 years or 100,000 km,.... whatever the car reaches first, then it's time to sell it, not to buy it. The humidity and the road conditions in Thailand destroy a vehicle faster than in European countries.

Read post #102. Half the year it is below freezing, with half of that below minus 30C with the odd meander to minus 45C

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1

Air con and power steer parts get a hard life here. Engine hrs is a better measure of life here rather than km - a lot of time idling. Watch, you water pump will be next if you haven't changed it already. Quite possibly all normal wear and tear. For the dealt attitude, a few small stones under the valve caps of all four tyres of a few cars in the yard might fix him up:......

I had a couple of the Ford Sierra Cosworth's, for me they were excellent cars, however they were my first experience of car's with a turbo and I didn't treat them properly, as in racing the engine and as soon as I came to a standstill i'd switch the engine off. This of course was cutting the oil supply and slowly destroying the ceramic seals on the turbo unit, however I'd been advised that even with this harsh treatment the turbo wouldn't show any lack in performance until it hit about 70,000 miles. Yes both were off my hands by 35,000 miles and I'm sure the the next owner though he'd got a superbly well looked after car as the service book was looking great.

134,000 km??? "vehicle with so little mileage"???

clap2.gif

I don't know where you are from, but in Texas, we don't think that a vehicle should need many parts, beyond normal service, until after it has reached more than 250,000 miles, about 400,000 km.

Yup, in Texas everything is bigger and better, for us lesser mortals 134,000 is very high milage especially if the vehicle is petrol?

I stopped buying Fords in 1973, had a mk2 cortina what a bag of sh..e. Never again.

Hmmmmm, a very reliable car. I mini cabbed one for a year, noooo probs at all....thumbsup.gif

I've had 10 Fords over the years including a MK2 1600E Cortina, great car and from memory the only problem was with the steering box when one of the ball bearings split and almost jammed the steering. No major problems with any of the others. Now running a year old 2.2 XLT Ranger with 32,000km on the clock after a years driving. I'll keep it another year and trade for a Wildtrak. I've only owned 3 non Ford motors, a 1275GT Mini, Toyota Hilux Surf and a Honda Civic and the only bad one was the Mini because I couldn't keep it in engines, but that said, it was a long time ago when I was young and had a lead right boot. I'll stick to Ford as they have served me well over the last 37 years driving.

A car truck or SUV is only as good as the person who has bothered to look after it.Second hand warrenty isn't worth the paper it is printed on. You only have the dealers word if it had been regulary serviced unless you have the service book.

Find a back street mechanic and get a price from them. I hear Cockpit are quite good. Good Luck

I have owned many makes of cars in the USA including Fords and Hyundai. All the cars I have owned have given me good service as I always took care of them. I am not sure if the Ford's in Thailand are made to the same standard as the USA, but I do know world wide Ford is doing very well. They were the only American car company that did not need to be bailed out by the government several years ago. My friend owns a Ford Focus for 3 years now and not had any issues with it. The use by the previous owner might have something to do with it, but 1,000,000 miles on a car is the norm I think, before you are going to have to stick money into it. Car's are machines and will wear out.

• Like 1