Cluttering of thai streets with pushcarts, small stalls etc

Howitzer

Neversure do you actually live in USSA and just post non stop ....555 almost 10K posts about how much Thailand sucks? Really?

Look sometime the street vendors and stalls suck, but nothing as horrid anti walking MUST drive a car everywhere culture in USSA.

Will never forget the first time my ex came to the states, I picked her up at LAX and we drove down PCH through the beach cities to the peninsula at 8 pm at night and the first thing she said after 20 mins was "where are all the people?"

Its called "freedom" and not just another excuse to extract money and tell you how to live your life, as they do in the "nanny" countries.

What about the freedom to walk on a pavement and not have to walk on the road towards oncoming traffic?

There's no "right" to have an unobstructed pavement, and in Thailand there usually isn't a pavement anyway. It's only in cities infected with tourists that pavements have been introduced.

Anyway, what about their "right" to earn a living?

If Thailand was the same as nanny states, it wouldn't be worth moving to. Some of us move to LOS to get away from precisely such nanny stateism.

This is such a small inconvenience to pedestrian traffic...these small portable businesses keep many families fed...keeps unemployment down...and is an honorable endeavor...

What you see as clutter is actually a small part of a well functioning economy...

Doesn't mean they can't be better organized. When pedestrians are pushed into a busy street b/c one of these families decided they needed a monopoly on both sides of the footpath, it's out of control.

The answer to your problem is simple- don't stay or walk in those areas that you object to. I never go to Patpong anymore because the stalls on the pavement between the skytrain station and Patpong are so restrictive to travel. However, I'd never insist on them being removed.

This is such a small inconvenience to pedestrian traffic...these small portable businesses keep many families fed...keeps unemployment down...and is an honorable endeavor...

What you see as clutter is actually a small part of a well functioning economy...

Doesn't mean they can't be better organized. When pedestrians are pushed into a busy street b/c one of these families decided they needed a monopoly on both sides of the footpath, it's out of control.

The answer to your problem is simple- don't stay or walk in those areas that you object to. I never go to Patpong anymore because the stalls on the pavement between the skytrain station and Patpong are so restrictive to travel. However, I'd never insist on them being removed.

Never said removed. Just organized a bit. Anyway, the likes of Patpong are really the least of my concern. The problem exists in pretty much every busy area near a BTS station. Some of the sois and other major streets are pretty bad too. Heck, there's a restaurant near my home that has taken up the entire sidewalk. There is literally no way to get past it without stepping into the street. And it's not even a busy area. There's no reason they couldn't clear a path for pedestrians. The vendors are out of control, mate.

• Like 1

It does seem that developing countries all see the need to clutter up their streets with people selling food,

So you're saying places like New York and London are cluttered developing countries?

Many people, Thai and farang, like the food stalls and street markets. What is the attraction of empty sterile streets with a McDonald's or Starbucks every 100 metres?

There are as many as 20,000 street vendors in New York City — hot dog vendors, flower vendors, t-shirt vendors, street artists, fancy food trucks, and many others. They are small business people struggling to make ends meet.

http://streetvendor.org/

It's no secret there has been a recent surge in the London street-food scene. The number of vendors is growing. The standard of the food started high and is getting higher. There are more areas around London that are welcoming friendly food vans, trucks, and airstreams that serve everything from good ol' pork pies and scotch eggs to Korean comfort food. New markets are popping up around London with even more street-food vendors. It's easy to see that the capital is quickly becoming a street-food force to be reckoned with.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/apr/24/top-10-london-street-food-stalls

I think the point the OP was trying to make is that in Thailand they allow the sidewalks and streets to be so crowded with vendors that they are almost impassable. Yes there are street vendors all over the US and the world, but I can't remember having to walk out on the street because the sidewalk was completely blocked by a vendor. In Thailand that is a common occurrence if you are walking anywhere.

Why do people move here to escape the stifling regulation of their own over-policed countries and then insist that Thailand be more like them? This attitude has always baffled me and I see it a lot on Thai Visa.

Over-policed? Who do you think all those vendors are paying "rent" to?