'Democratic culture is being eroded'

Lite Beer

MARTIAL LAW
'Democratic culture is being eroded'
PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- Opponents of martial law say it also hits the economy

CONTINUED long-term imposition of martial law will further corrode democratic culture and negatively affect the economy, opponents of the law have warned, nearly nine months after it was imposed just before the coup on May 22 last year.

Opponents now fear that martial law could be left in effect for another year or longer, including on the promised election-day early next year, despite calls from the United States and the European Union for the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to lift it.

"It's unpredictable under martial law how many more people would be arrested and detained [under the law]. It will affect political parties wanting to carry out electoral campaigns. Will all the parties feel equally at ease campaigning under martial law?" Thammasat University political scientist Pongkwan Sawasdipakdi asked.

Pongkwan said the economy would be affected for the long-term as well as business operators cannot be certain if autocratic power will be used in a way that would negatively affect their business in the future or not.

Red Sunday Group leader Sombat Boonngam-anong, who was arrested for leading a movement to oppose the NCPO and now faces charges at the military court, agreed that indefinite imposition of martial law would take a toll on the economy.

Sombat said he's deeply concerned about the long-term negative impact on democratic culture, including freedom of expression and freedom of assembly, among academics, the media and ordinary citizens.

"Silence under martial law is not security," said Sombat, adding that it's also a matter of national pride that Thai citizens should not be subjected to a repressive law that in the end affects the standing of the Kingdom in the eyes of the international community.

Human Rights lawyer Anon Nampha said with no end in sight for martial law, many public seminars would continue to be restricted as the military requires that organisers submit request for approval before holding public talks on politics and some have been stopped by the NCPO in recent months.

Anon said he was also concerned about the rise of the number of civilians who will be detained and taken to the military court under martial law and the fact defendants have no right to appeal under military court system.

Some 20 civilians are now facing the military court, said Anon, and the number could significantly rise the longer the special law is imposed.

Both Anon and Sombat believe polls that suggest that many Thais support the continuation of martial law are not reliable. They said polls conducted under martial law were essentially skewed and people may not feel comfortable to express their true political opinions.

"The pollsters may have become a political tool [for the continued imposition of martial law]," said Sombat.

He said many people may not even be aware the law negatively affects them, albeit indirectly, such as the effects on the economy.

For Anon, he said he didn't care how many people may back the law as he believes it will cause more problems in the end.

As for Pongkwan, the fact more arrests are occurring under martial law suggests that even under martial law, the country has not returned to normalcy.

"It shows that the government doesn't feel secure," Pongkwan concluded.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Democratic-culture-is-being-eroded-30254115.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-15

• Like 1

A post that could be a veiled comment about the royal family has been removed.

Forum rule.

"1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them."

I don't see the point of 'going on about it'. I am assuming the vast majority on TVF are ex-pats like myself so we have no dog in the hunt. And we who are from Western countries were democracy has cast it's shadow for decades or longer see democracy differently to Thai's and other Asian's.

Democracy or the lack of it means different things to different people. But when 99.999% of the population are not effected, why worry.

Its always funny to see people of the old reginme calling it democratic.. it certainly was not.. it had an armed wing of terrorist. It constantly broke the rules of true democracies. I am ok with how it is now this bunch of rules is less worse as the previous ones. These are a bit less corrupt.

• Like 2

Selective amnesia - look at the headlines from a year ago.

Indeed. Unsurprising that Red Shirt Sympathizer Pongkwan, Red Shirt Leader Sombat, and Red Shirt Lawyer Anon are the ones with selective amnesia.

You have your opinion and I have mine and we do NOT agree.

• Like 1

Good article that hits the nail on the head.

"The pollsters may have become a political tool [for the continued imposition of martial law],"

The irony of using dodgy polls to legitimise the regime, whilst simultaneously prohibiting a country wide poll, seems to be lost on everyone but the junta.

Thaksin's governments routinely used polls in the same way.. it's a common political tool also used around the world .. take ALL with a pinch of salt!

• Like 2

I find the article heading humorous. I think democracy eroded along time ago and that is why the military was able to took over.

The article is hardly any kind of an analysis but more of a generalization about any situation. Sure it will affect something in the long term negatively, but it will affect other things in a positive way. Depending which business you are in. So we have to weigh the out come. I don't know what other junta have this much autonomy to the people.

The only thing that I see affected are the very people who created this mess and caused the military to take over, The politicians.

Indeed, I don't see anyone anywhere I go that is affected by martial law, but then I don't associate with politicians or trouble makers.

The OP says there are 20 people detained......Out of 65 million.

While the other 64.9999, whatever million go about their normal business.

and 64.999999999999 cannot vote .000000000000000001 are 'given' their posts by the Junta but you are not a fan of democracy as it's not 'your country' Thais I know are downcast and 'waiting' because they ALL know this is about something we cannot discuss here

What is democracy?

For sure it is not a bunch of brainwashed sheeples being abused to fulfill the will of a greedy family clan

and being helped as well as controlled by a violent gang abusing the word democracy in their name

Since someone assumed my post was about whatever they wanted here it is again.

"Brainwashed sheeples" = Ordinary Thai citizen.

"Greed family clan" = The sick and decrepit BKK rich, elite families that actually own and run the country

"Violent gang" = The military

This guy is describing he current state of affairs to a Tee. Thanks for making the anti-junta case for us all.

And for the record, maybe next time dont assume what a person is talking about.

Any and all "clans " are greedy to keep power and money. This includes the new red shirt ones, clinging onto power and of course the Thaksin political era clans. The Bkk elite families should be reigned in but they generally are extremely large employers.

As for brain washed sheeples. ..umm many Thais I know are fully aware of the problems, many consider that the current situation is the better of evils, but they absolutely do want things to move forward (many red's just want the money tree to come back)

Violent gang = army. Really! two bloodless coups in 10 years. Against armed unrest to topple the legal Democrats government of elected Mp's. (The Democrats government of Abhisit were elected Mp's and Abhisit was voted in the same way as every other PM)

I don't see the point of 'going on about it'. I am assuming the vast majority on TVF are ex-pats like myself so we have no dog in the hunt. And we who are from Western countries were democracy has cast it's shadow for decades or longer see democracy differently to Thai's and other Asian's.

Democracy or the lack of it means different things to different people. But when 99.999% of the population are not effected, why worry.

Its always funny to see people of the old reginme calling it democratic.. it certainly was not.. it had an armed wing of terrorist. It constantly broke the rules of true democracies. I am ok with how it is now this bunch of rules is less worse as the previous ones. These are a bit less corrupt.

You are lying. Thaksin govt. by BY FAR THE LEAST corrupt in the history of Thailand, according to Transparency International.

I believe you feel ok now, when Thais are oppressed, tortured and killed this gives lots of happiness to some farangs who want to exploit the misery and desperation of Thailand to live cheap and feel rich and powerful in a country of misery and suffering.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good article that hits the nail on the head.

"The pollsters may have become a political tool [for the continued imposition of martial law],"

The irony of using dodgy polls to legitimise the regime, whilst simultaneously prohibiting a country wide poll, seems to be lost on everyone but the junta.

CONTINUED long-term imposition of martial law will further corrode democratic culture???? What???? democratic culture???? under a dictatorship????? How is that working out?

Call it whatever we must but pleeeese do not call it democratic.

Since someone assumed my post was about whatever they wanted here it is again.

"Brainwashed sheeples" = Ordinary Thai citizen.

"Greed family clan" = The sick and decrepit BKK rich, elite families that actually own and run the country

"Violent gang" = The military

This guy is describing he current state of affairs to a Tee. Thanks for making the anti-junta case for us all.

And for the record, maybe next time dont assume what a person is talking about.

You are so wrong - brainwashed?

Ok, I don't want to make this personal. I choose to interpret you have a flourishing fantasy to interpret things the opposite from what they are.

Anyway it doesn't make them true.

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 1