marriage visa

Hello could someone please offer some advice on a marriage visa . I have spent some time reading over the posts and they are very informative and contain some good detail very helpful .

The question I have is in regarding the deposit of 400,000 baht into a thai bank account .

Lets say that the couple has successfully married and this process is complete and now the husband would like to relocate to thailand and live there for one year under the conditions of a marriage visa .

I understand he is required to deposit approx 400,000 baht into a thai bank account 90 days beforehand and this money should be left untouched for that period and after the money has been deposited for this period this is one of the main conditions of being allowed to stay in thailand with the wife so that part is ok and fairly straightforward . the next question is regarding the proof of income of 40,000 baht per month and how to go about this .

From reading some of the posts here : you require proof of earnings of approx 40,000 baht per month with receipts and documentation to go along with it as means of proof .

lets say that the husband doesnt have a job in thailand or some type of work commitment there so in that respect he is unable to provide any documents confirming that proof of income is derived from there . and also he is not receiving a regular salary from his employer abroad because he is based in thailand and is not under regular type of employment so therefor he is not recieving regular pay receipts and no regular payments are being wired to him from abroad which might present a challenge .

But if the individual has sufficient funds in his overseas bank account but does not have any defineable source of income is it permissable and accepted under the conditions of the marriage visa to transfer 40,000 baht as proof per month or would he be required to withdraw 40,000 baht from the existing 400,000 baht account with corresponding withdrawal receipts as proof . someone indicated it might be possible to make regular 40,000 withdrawals from the thai bank account and then make sure that all of these statements are kept up to date on a bank book . any advice would be appreciated thankyou

The 400,000 Baht has to be in a Thai bank for a period of 2 months before application for the extension. (It is not a Visa)

You need a letter from the bank and an up to date bank book as proof.

As for using the 40,000 Baht monthly income method it would be whatever your Embassy requires.

They provide the letter of proof.

It appears you asking about an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai it is not a marriage visa.

The 400k baht only has to be in a Thai bank for 2 months on the date the application for the extension is done, The account can only be in the applicants name only.

There is no need to prove 40k baht income if the money in the bank option is used. It is 400k baht in the bank or 40k baht income.

• Like 2

thankyou for your help very appreciated . sorry I was under the assumption that both were required : a 400,000 baht deposit and also proof of obtaining 40,000 baht income per month . this is quite a relief as I was concerned about how I could provide proof and what would be required for the 40,000 baht income stream .

So depositing 400,000 baht into a thai bank is sufficient and once the waiting period is up and everything is approved I would probably just use that regular account to withdraw from to cover general expenses like rental shopping and utilities and just top it up regularly as the need arises . would that be a good way to go . thankyou Grant

Your post is rather confusing to me and there is not even gender information in your profile.

I assume you are or will marry a Thai lady?

Where will the marriage take place?

Do you intend to work in Thailand?

Do you intend to spend a single (gap-year) only or many years?

You have several visa options available.

Visa Waiver on arrival, free, good for 30 days.

Then buy a 90 day Non Imm VISA at your local Immigration office. You will need a proof of funds letter from your embassy or consul.

Then between 45 to 30 days before that Visa expires apply for a one year extension based on marriage.

The 400kb needs to be ib the bank a clear 60 days prior to the application. (subsequent applications and the money must be in the bank 90 days)

Visit the bank on the day you apply for the extension and request a letter from them to say you have had the money available for the rewuired time.

Kasikorn charge 100b for this.

Now go to Immigration with all the required people and paperwork. There are threads to tell you exactly what you need for this.

If all OK you will get a stamp in your passport giving you an extension of 30 days whilst "head office" run checks on your application.

You then return to Imm when all is ready and get another stamp for the remaining 11 months.

You could apply for a non imm o visa in your home country and say you got 90 days multiple entry, you can so border runs to extend that visa and finally apply for the marriage extension.

ubonjoe is a real expert on matters like this and the best visa option may depend on how long you intend to stay, to the point where an extension based on marriage may not be necessary and a multiple entry visa and a few visa runs would do it.

Remember that unless you have a multiple entry visa you must buy a re-entry permit in Thailand before you leave and intend to return within the validity of your visa or extension.

The re-entry permit is either 1000b for a single entry or 3,800b for multiple re-entries.

or you can just apply for the marriage extension 45-30 days before it expires.

With an extension based on Marriage, you are allowed to obtain a work permit.

If you are over 50 and have 800kb in the bank you can apply for an extension based on retirement but you may not have a work permit.

I use the retirement extension method because it is simpler than the Marriage extension and I will never want a work permit.

If you have a regular income in your home country that meets the 40kb monthly figure, you visit your embassy or consul with proof of the income in a form that is acceptable to them.

Then for a fee (the Brits charge about 50 GBP), they will provide you with a letter that Imm will keep to prove you meet the income requirements.

You need a new letter for every application.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Then buy a 90 day Non Imm VISA at your local Immigration office.

Not correct. The only immigration office that can do the conversion is Bangkok and it takes 2 trips to get it.

Best to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage before traveling. It can easily be obtained at an embassy or consular.

Ubonjoe, Is the best method then to get a single non o based on marriage in your home country and then get a 12 month extension to stay based on marriage which includes the 400,000B seasoned for two months?. After you get this extension, and say you want to travel to cambodia or back to your home country for a short period to keep this extension in tact can you get a re-entry visa each time? Or is it then finished if you leave the country ?

Then between 45 to 30 days before that Visa expires apply for a one year extension based on marriage.

The 400kb needs to be ib the bank a clear 60 days prior to the application. (subsequent applications and the money must be in the bank 90 days)

Not correct.

Money in the bank for 60 days every application.

• Like 1

Just one thing to say, if getting initial visa in your home country the rules may vary (in UK, need to show income of about £1400 a month to get a marriage visa; much more than required within Thailand, and no cash option). If this is a problem get a 60 day tourist visas, open an account and mature the money, leave and go to Laos and get 90 day visa for marriage, and apply in good time back in Thailand for Marriage extension. This is what i did. Note - i had to wait 7 weeks for the Visa to be approved, but this may vary from immigration office to office.

Then buy a 90 day Non Imm VISA at your local Immigration office.

Not correct. The only immigration office that can do the conversion is Bangkok and it takes 2 trips to get it.

Best to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage before traveling. It can easily be obtained at an embassy or consular.

I did mine in Chiang Mai but that was three years ago.

There's another thread running that may interest the OP.

It shows the 60 day extension for getting married and the multiple entry good for almost 15 months.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/800526-currently-tourist-visadue-to-marry-this-week-thai-lady-advice-please/?utm_source=newsletter-20150215-1403&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=featured

Edited by laislica

Just one thing to say, if getting initial visa in your home country the rules may vary (in UK, need to show income of about £1400 a month to get a marriage visa; much more than required within Thailand, and no cash option). If this is a problem get a 60 day tourist visas, open an account and mature the money, leave and go to Laos and get 90 day visa for marriage, and apply in good time back in Thailand for Marriage extension. This is what i did. Note - i had to wait 7 weeks for the Visa to be approved, but this may vary from immigration office to office.

You can get a single or multiple entry non-o based upon marriage with no financial proof needed from the embassy in London. There have been reports about this. All the consulates but Hull will also do them with no financial proof in person. The embassy accepts mail in applications.

Just looked at Hull site they require the following:-

Category "O"

--------------------------

1) Married to a Thai national.

Evidence required:

a) Copy of Original Thai Marriage Certificate (front and back).

cool.png Copy of spouse’s Thai ID Card or Thai Passport showing married name.

c) Copy of latest 3 months Bank Statements (Thai or UK bank) showing regular income of minimum 65,000 baht (or equivalent in another currency) per month. Bank Statements must include name and address of visa applicant and address on Bank Statements must be same as on Visa Application Form. Please bear in mind that it may be necessary to check this information with the employer.

Either a single or multiple entry visa may be granted in these circumstances.

Just looked at Hull site they require the following:-

Category "O"

--------------------------

1) Married to a Thai national.

Evidence required:

a) Copy of Original Thai Marriage Certificate (front and back).

cool.png Copy of spouse’s Thai ID Card or Thai Passport showing married name.

c) Copy of latest 3 months Bank Statements (Thai or UK bank) showing regular income of minimum 65,000 baht (or equivalent in another currency) per month. Bank Statements must include name and address of visa applicant and address on Bank Statements must be same as on Visa Application Form. Please bear in mind that it may be necessary to check this information with the employer.

Either a single or multiple entry visa may be granted in these circumstances.

That is wrong. The embassy website has the same error on it but they issue them with no financial proof. There have been many reports of people getting them with no financial proof.

Interesting Joe about the financial rules for marriage in UK applications being ignored. As usual Thai rules and practice don't match up. But i wouldn't like to depend on this always being ignored - got caught out by a visa rule and practice change 2 years ago on the over 50 visa (hence why i have just done Marriage extension). And i notice that Hull's forms and rules were updated only last month ..... they change at least once a year!

Always check what is required just before applying - and still cross your fingers!

• Like 1

Interesting Joe about the financial rules for marriage in UK applications being ignored. As usual Thai rules and practice don't match up. But i wouldn't like to depend on this always being ignored - got caught out by a visa rule and practice change 2 years ago on the over 50 visa (hence why i have just done Marriage extension). And i notice that Hull's forms and rules were updated only last month ..... they change at least once a year!

Always check what is required just before applying - and still cross your fingers!

It an obvious error because it is using the amount needed for an an extension based upon retirement. For marriage it is 40k baht

There is no rule saying you need to meet the financial requirements for a an extension to get a non-o visa, The Ministry of Foreign Affairs does not have any financial proof requirement to get a visa other than the standard 20k baht to obtain the visa.