What time is too early for that first drink?

marko kok prong

I have a 6 pm rule. That gives me time to recover and get something done before starting to party again. I am however not a heavy drinker unless my mates come on holiday but even then I stick to the 6:00 pm rule. There are exceptions but only for major social events like weddings.

I don't need a drink to have a good time.....

Edited by ttthailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When happy hour starts.

I used to be know for being able to drink any given amount......................sad.png

tongue.png Focus on the given.......................thumbsup.gif

Usually I'm only a social drinker but have felt the lure and alcoholism runs in my family. I drink when I wan't a drink if I ever feel I need a drink I don't have one. Dad's rule was not before 4pm Mom's was never drink alone. I use theses as guides but rules go out the window on holidays. I have met a few older friends in Patts they usually meet up at 15.30-16.30 and are done by 9/10 I usually take it easy while I'm with them then when they finish I head out but usually try and pace myself at least till I find my Tilek for the night.

How long till my next holiday?

Two good rules there, I will add a third. Do not drink every day.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A lot of expat alcoholics living in Thailand.

Really, if you drink to feel the effects, especially in the day time, and you drink like that every day, you're an alcoholic.

If you're heading in that direction, as so many expats do, it's time to wake up and get something to do with your life instead of wasting it sitting around pissed up.

Its an interesting view that you have of an alcoholic. One that by the way, i would disagree with. All the way throughout my working life i knew people (was one of those people) that drank everyday (and i mean everyday) without the majority of them having any problems greater than a hangover sometimes,

I know for a fact that i wasn't an alcoholic as i never attended any of those anonymous meetings.....................wink.png

On a serious note though, i believe there is a fine line between say, a heavy social drinker and an alcoholic. When somebody becomes dependent on alcohol to be able to function, that would be my personal definition.

Back home (UK) it was deemed by the professionals that if somebody drank two pints (or the equivalent) everyday, then they had a drink problem. i could never understand this fact becoming public knowledge as this categorized a huge percentage of the country into people with drink problems, throughout the spectrum of the classes.

As we get older you sometimes begin to doubt our ability to "make a difference" in the world. It is at these times that our hopes are boosted by the remarkable achievements of other "seniors" who have found the courage to take on challenges that would make many of us wither.

Harold Schlumberg is such a person:

QUOTE FROM HAROLD:
"I've often been asked, 'What do you old folks do now that you're retired?' Well...I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and vodka into urine. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."

Harold should be an inspiration to us all.

• Like 2

I rarely drink during the day. Better things to do.

what?please continue in my recently opened topic...

Oh you know. Stuff.

I'd hate to end up in a situation where the only thing I could find to fill my days was get drunk.

"... where the only thing I could find to fill my days was get drunk."

...or to start threads on TV asking things you should be old enough to have already sorted out on your own ... about personal habits or relationships or climbing out of holes you've dug for yourself or managing your money ...