Police curb searches on foreigners in Thai capital

Lite Beer

Oh, so now the victim needs to be "startled"...

Too funny.

" 'Looked startled to me. Did he look startled to you?"

" Oh, definitely. Definitely appeared startled."

"Yes, yes. He was very startled."

"Yeap. I witnessed the whole thing. The farang was totally startled."

This oughta' be good for some inventive showmanship...

• Like 1

"If a search is considered necessary, such as in a case where a foreigner appears to be “startled” by the presence of police, the search must be conducted in a public area under the supervision of two officers with the rank of sub-lieutenant or higher.

“But if the person sees an officer and appears to be calm, then we are not allowed to conduct a search,” Pol Col Khajohnpong said."

So if you live here and speak Thai, and you are used to seeing police carrying guns in the holsters, then you're fine.

If you come from Britain, for example, as a holiday maker who is not used to being approached by officers carrying a gun and you appear to be "startled" then you are wide open to being searched. Hum? Logical. bah.gif

Police in most countries carry guns. Are all Brits such Hoplophobes or has it taken years of indoctrination and Media BS to make you frightened of inanimate objects?

Been to the Phils lately? Every large store and even many 7/11's have armed guards toting shotguns positioned inside or outside of the stores.

And you don't even want to think about going to Brazil...

The facts are that there are a lot of bad guys out there and trying to police them without proper weaponry is an exercise in futility, not to mention, dangerous. These guys want to come home at night after work just like everyone else does.

If an armed police officer "startles" you, perhaps you need to rethink your retirement/vacation destination...

I usually chat up the police here in the US about what type of firearm they carry, how do they like it, what type of ammunition do they use, etc...and they are more than happy to engage in such a conversation as long as it's not interfering with their work.

And it's always better to be in good with them than to fear them.

Most cops will never discharge their weapon in the line of duty, and killing or even shooting someone is very rare.

In the US, there were about 28,000 firearm fatalities last year.

About 2/3rds were suicides.

Of the approx. remaining 1/2 to 2/3rds of firearm deaths, those fatalities were committed by a small Demographic of Black Males killing other Black Males in the 15-55 age range. (Stating facts is not racism. Google "Color of Crime")

That leaves approx. 3,500 - 4,500 firearm fatalities in a Country of over 300 Million people of which about 100 Million people own 1 or more firearms.

I'd say that firearms have an excellent safety record when they are in the hands of responsible, mentally stable people and you have no reason to be "startled" by a police officer carrying a firearm unless you have been conditioned to do so or if you have an irrational fear of such.

To the other poster: As for the question of having Marijuana in your system, I would avoid travel to Thailand (As well as other Countries) for a month after using Marijuana to be sure none is left in your system, or to "flush" it from your system using many of the products out there made for that purpose.

California/Colorado laws do not apply in Thailand or elsewhere and you could get in even worse trouble in some Countries than you would in Thailand.

Again, if you can't deal with armed police officers, or getting high trumps your vacation plans, then look for an alternative vacation/retirement destination where things like *gasp* armed police "startle" you or having Marijuana in your system is illegal.

Their Country, their laws...

• Like 1

"Pol Col Khajohnpong said he would like all of his subordinates to undergo ethical and integrity training, provided that they have enough time to do so."

but since it is a low priority, we won't push integrity onto our officers. They are so busy .

These police seem to want credit for something they're supposed to do. Oh they've been instructed to not carry out searches unless they have a valid reason or grounds for suspicion? That was already the law.

“I have told my men to speak like diplomats when they engage in conversations with people. They are asked to speak kindly, without any aggression.” Wow, mindblowing progress.

They'd probably use the simple act of leaving a nightclub looking drunk as a reason to urine test for illegal drugs. Especially afterhours, it's technically illegal to be out after 2am and since drug users go to nightclubs surely you must be suspicious also, right?

Two guys tested positive for ecstasy outside a club last weekend and were asked 60k baht each to be let go.

Good news. Whilst the problem was somewhat exaggerated in the first place, making an official announcement that it is to be stopped is a sensible move.

However, there will always be some here who badmouth anything the Thai authorities do. They could be offering free beer and hand jobs and some of you would still be complaining.

Jeez, if a Thai cop offered me free beer and a hand job, I wouldn't be complaining. I'd be legging it down the soi like I was Usain Bolt on steroids. w00t.gif

• Like 1

Good news. Whilst the problem was somewhat exaggerated in the first place, making an official announcement that it is to be stopped is a sensible move.

However, there will always be some here who badmouth anything the Thai authorities do. They could be offering free beer and hand jobs and some of you would still be complaining.

Jeez, if a Thai cop offered me free beer and a hand job, I wouldn't be complaining. I'd be legging it down the soi like I was Usain Bolt on steroids. w00t.gif

Calm down. He'll wait til you get there.

Isn't it funny? We had an elected government for almost 3 years and there was no governing.

And now we have a non-elected government and there is proper governance.

if it wasn't in the international media do you think anything would have been done even by the government of 2010.
  • Like 1

"Pol Col Khajohnpong said he would like all of his subordinates to undergo ethical and integrity training, provided that they have enough time to do so."

but since it is a low priority, we won't push integrity onto our officers. They are so busy .

Isn't that part of week 1 at the academy?

I guess your into a man in uniform then.

Calm down. He'll wait til you get there.

Clearly you misunderstood me.....I meant to get away from the dirty bugger!wink.png

I guess your into a man in uniform then.

Quite the opposite....I'd be running to escape the pervert and his offer of a hand shandy.bah.gif

• Like 1

"... unless a foreigner is acting suspiciously..." - That opens it up to various interpretations, doesn't it? I can accuse a rock for acting suspiciously, if I wanted to.

"Out of the 297 policemen at Thong Lor station, 177 are patrol officers who roam the streets on motorcycles to ensure public safety." cheesy.gif

"An internal investigation was launched in December last year, and has been continued by Pol Col Khajohnpong. However, he and his predecessor have not been able to identify any individuals responsible for the alleged harassment."... REALLY???

Sorry, this may be positive, but still appears half-arsed to me coffee1.gif

As the Phuket News clearly states, this story is lifted completely from the Bangkok Post.

In the civilised world, people give credit (as the Phuket News does) and ask for permission to lift in toto.

"By Larry Banks" is a lie. Not appreciated by the people who put real shoe leather and brainpower into this story, either. That is a serious copyright infringement, not to mention plagiarism, to claim credit and ownership of someone else's hard work and intellectual property.

This is a very good news...but some people still critizing. For a non elected, militar government, this is a very Democratic, fast and effective decition. Thainess may be better than some other countries's Hipocratic Freedom.

• Like 1

"An internal investigation was launched in December last year, and has been continued by Pol Col Khajohnpong. However, he and his predecessor have not been able to identify any individuals responsible for the alleged harassment."...

Lol. Now there's a surprise. And I'll bet he thinks that'll just be the end of it...

It would depend on which beer and hand lotion for me.

This is a very good news...but some people still critizing. For a non elected, militar government, this is a very Democratic, fast and effective decition. Thainess may be better than some other countries's Hipocratic Freedom.

There are several aspects of Thai culture that are more mature and effective than western culture. The social network here is amazing -- local people often know what is going to happen in Bangkok a few days before it hits and then hits the news. Another is the actual Thai attitude towards sex, which is that it's fun and shouldn't be taken as seriously as a heart attack.

Also, I find Thais to be much friendlier and quick to laugh than the people of my homeland.

• Like 1

"If a search is considered necessary, such as in a case where a foreigner appears to be startled by the presence of police, the search must be conducted in a public area under the supervision of two officers with the rank of sub-lieutenant or higher.

But if the person sees an officer and appears to be calm, then we are not allowed to conduct a search, Pol Col Khajohnpong said."

So if you live here and speak Thai, and you are used to seeing police carrying guns in the holsters, then you're fine.

If you come from Britain, for example, as a holiday maker who is not used to being approached by officers carrying a gun and you appear to be "startled" then you are wide open to being searched. Hum? Logical. bah.gif

Police in most countries carry guns. Are all Brits such Hoplophobes or has it taken years of indoctrination and Media BS to make you frightened of inanimate objects?

Been to the Phils lately? Every large store and even many 7/11's have armed guards toting shotguns positioned inside or outside of the stores.

And you don't even want to think about going to Brazil...

The facts are that there are a lot of bad guys out there and trying to police them without proper weaponry is an exercise in futility, not to mention, dangerous. These guys want to come home at night after work just like everyone else does.

If an armed police officer "startles" you, perhaps you need to rethink your retirement/vacation destination...

I usually chat up the police here in the US about what type of firearm they carry, how do they like it, what type of ammunition do they use, etc...and they are more than happy to engage in such a conversation as long as it's not interfering with their work.

And it's always better to be in good with them than to fear them.

Most cops will never discharge their weapon in the line of duty, and killing or even shooting someone is very rare.

In the US, there were about 28,000 firearm fatalities last year.

About 2/3rds were suicides.

Of the approx. remaining 1/2 to 2/3rds of firearm deaths, those fatalities were committed by a small Demographic of Black Males killing other Black Males in the 15-55 age range. (Stating facts is not racism. Google "Color of Crime")

That leaves approx. 3,500 - 4,500 firearm fatalities in a Country of over 300 Million people of which about 100 Million people own 1 or more firearms.

I'd say that firearms have an excellent safety record when they are in the hands of responsible, mentally stable people and you have no reason to be "startled" by a police officer carrying a firearm unless you have been conditioned to do so or if you have an irrational fear of such.

To the other poster: As for the question of having Marijuana in your system, I would avoid travel to Thailand (As well as other Countries) for a month after using Marijuana to be sure none is left in your system, or to "flush" it from your system using many of the products out there made for that purpose.

California/Colorado laws do not apply in Thailand or elsewhere and you could get in even worse trouble in some Countries than you would in Thailand.

Again, if you can't deal with armed police officers, or getting high trumps your vacation plans, then look for an alternative vacation/retirement destination where things like *gasp* armed police "startle" you or having Marijuana in your system is illegal.

Their Country, their laws...

Drugs in your system, welcome to the Netherlands.

Yes it used to be even more liberal there but we did succumb to the pressure from the USA (funny how they always seem to meddle in foreign politics).

We almost have no drug problem and I have used personally weed and Xtc and many of my friends have too. None of them ended up a junkie, many have their own companies or work for a company.

In my book drugs are a private matter and as long as you don't harm others it should all be legal. Those stupid moralist always telling others what to do is a bit boring.

I do hate drunk or drugged people driving (they should be punished) but just the use of drugs without crime (no fighting stealing ect) why is a problem. If drugs were legal prices would go down and people would not have to steal for their habit.

But of course if you go this way you will have to accept there will always be some addicts. Just like there are alcoholics there will be drug addicts, there is a small percentage of people who will always be at risk.

In my mind we should not sacrifice the right to use stuff to protect everyone. I all for freedom and on that count in the wrong country as doing drugs here is dangerous and stupid.

Yes it used to be even more liberal there but we did succumb to the pressure from the USA (funny how they always seem to meddle in foreign politics).

We almost have no drug problem and I have used personally weed and Xtc and many of my friends have too. None of them ended up a junkie, many have their own companies or work for a company.

In my book drugs are a private matter and as long as you don't harm others it should all be legal. Those stupid moralist always telling others what to do is a bit boring.

I do hate drunk or drugged people driving (they should be punished) but just the use of drugs without crime (no fighting stealing ect) why is a problem. If drugs were legal prices would go down and people would not have to steal for their habit.

But of course if you go this way you will have to accept there will always be some addicts. Just like there are alcoholics there will be drug addicts, there is a small percentage of people who will always be at risk.

In my mind we should not sacrifice the right to use stuff to protect everyone. I all for freedom and on that count in the wrong country as doing drugs here is dangerous and stupid.

" but we did succumb to the pressure from the USA (funny how they always seem to meddle in foreign politics)."

...and what "pressure" was that exactly?