Currently tourist visa,due to marry this week (thai lady)... advice please?

Hi there.. long time reader here first time to post, would appreciate some sound advice.Thanks

Long story short, im on a tourist visa right now, due to end in 2 weeks, i am due to marry my Thai GF this week...Am i right in thinking once married i can just go to Savanakhet ,Laos (or any other embassy's friendly in giving visa's?) and apply for a non O visa based on marriage? please correct me if i am wrong?

Would i just need to take my wifes house book and id cards Copys with me or do i actually have to take my wife? anything else i need to do?

All advice appreciated ( advice on visa and not advice on my marriage haha )

Thanks

As soon as you get married you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your new wife. She would have to go with you when you apply.

You can get a single entry non-o visa at any nearby embassy or consulate.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet Laos that would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

For all these you will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

For the visas your wife does not need to go with you.

• Like 1

As expected the doomsday reply's came..good work moderating and removing.

So Ubonjoe some questions for you mate-- being in the country now on a tourist visa i can extend this TV for 60 days based on my getting married? is that right and 100%? just never heard this one before.

a single entry i assume is exactly the same as a tourist visa in effect? 3 months then have to leave and figure out what visa to use next.?

The multiple entry non O was the one i was aiming at Ubonjoe i think..just take copy's of wife's stuff to embassy there and marriage cert,my passport and the fee?

and there happy to give these visas there right? any ideas what the fees involved are?

thanks for your reply mate..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So Ubonjoe some questions for you mate-- being in the country now on a tourist visa i can extend this TV for 60 days based on my getting married? is that right and 100%? just never heard this one before.

a single entry i assume is exactly the same as a tourist visa in effect? 3 months then have to leave and figure out what visa to use next.?

The multiple entry non O was the one i was aiming at Ubonjoe i think..just take copy's of wife's stuff to embassy there and marriage cert,my passport and the fee?

and there happy to give these visas there right? any ideas what the fees involved are?

Also a copy of her ID card and she should sign the copies of each document

Yep have got everything in place , thanks mate.

sign all her docs..noted! cheers.. ( that would be very annoying if that was missed and is important! ) cheers

ile defo take the 60 days, makes sense dosen't it? Just take my passport and all the same docs i assume to immigration and ask for 60 extension? and of course the 1900 baht. good to know. thanks

No problem to get the 60 day extension to visit your wife. As long as you have the documents I mentioned and possibly proof of residence you will get it. Just remember to take your bride with you.

You can get the multiple entry non-o in Savannakhet without a problem. Just look on the first page of this forum and you will find a topic with a a lot of good info.

The visa is 5000 baht.

Do you not need permission or some type of documentation to get married in thailand

You will need an affirmation of permit to marry from your embassy. It has to be translated to Thai and the translation certified by the Ministry of Foreign affairs.

Most embassies have info on getting married here.

Savannakhet Laos will issue a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa.

This will give you a stay of almost 15 months.

Visa fee is 5,000 Baht.

Apply in the morning and pickup next day afternoon.

Nearly seventeen months, if you get the last entry stamp extented for 60 days at your immigration office... cool.png

Visa fee is 5,000 Baht.

Nearly seventeen months, if you get the last entry stamp extented for 60 days at your immigration office... cool.png

Can you do this? I am on my last 90 stamp and on the 29th of March I am due to go to Laos to get another 12 month stay but my brother is visiting at the same time and I not want to have to go just yet, another 60 days will suit me just fine.

• You must obtain a 90-day visa or a 1-Year Non-Immigrant O visa from your home country or country of residence prior to your application for the Thai marriage visa. (The 90-day Non-Immigrant visa may be obtained from nearby countries in Thailand.)

Once the non-immigrant visa is obtained, you must travel to Thailand to activate the visa.

You must prepare all needed documents for the conversion of your non-immigrant O visa to marriage visa.

The extension will take place on the last 30 days of the 90-day permit to stay.

The visa extension application is submitted to the Immigration Office with all the necessary documents for the visa application. The processing period may take about a month before issuance of the Thai marriage visa.

Additionally, the foreigner on a Visa Exemption stamp or a tourist visa can still apply for a marriage visa given that the foreigner has already met the requirements for the non-immigrant O visa and for the one year extension visa applications. This can be done at the immigration office in Thailand.

Visa fee is 5,000 Baht.

Can you do this? I am on my last 90 stamp and on the 29th of March I am due to go to Laos to get another 12 month stay but my brother is visiting at the same time and I not want to have to go just yet, another 60 days will suit me just fine.

Yes you can. You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. She will need to go with you when you apply.

• Like 1

Visa fee is 5,000 Baht.

Yes you can. You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. She will need to go with you when you apply.

Cheers Joe!!

You see the photo I use here as i.d.? That is of a proud and impressed foreign man with a cute loving Thai bride. That is you if you know how to stay married IN THAILAND TO A THAI WOMAN. It is not difficult and only requires you to relax and learn her ways and celebrate them.

Best wishes on a long and happy life married to one of the best women on earth, a Thai !!! clap2.gif

Other documents maybe needed

-all English documents translated into Thai by a registered translation service, like the ones recommended by USA Embassy.

-copies of any previous divorce.

-big maybe.. a signed notarized letter from usa police saying you were never married and btw, you are of solid character and not a law breaker.

-just take your lady with you, it cuts lots of doubts down to size, nil.

Politely give the finger to all the grumpy failures' advice.bah.gif

Do you not need permission or some type of documentation to get married in thailand

You just need an affidavit confirming you are free to marry, get it translated and registered at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and you're good to go. Most ppl marry in BKK as other places aren't au fait with the paperwork.

You just need an affidavit confirming you are free to marry, get it translated and registered at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and you're good to go. Most ppl marry in BKK as other places aren't au fait with the paperwork.

Most people? I don't think so...out of the 100+ farangs I know, less than 5 married in BKK for convenience, all the rest got married in the amphur where they live....