buying land to help gain residency

I am just about to buy a piece of land in Issan 300000 baht but big enough for a large house or a couple of decent sized ones.

I am buying it in Thai girlfriends name (3 years together and 3 visits to UK so fairly secure for that amount of risk anyway)

but I'm wondering if it's better for my long term plans if it stays in her name, a company, 51/49 shares etc.

We will marry in the next 2-3 years and plan on a child just exploring my best bet to secure residency?

I will be 50 by the time I move here and hopefully have an income to meet requirements but i read of guys needing to show electric bills, water bills, chanute etc very year?

฿3m is quite a lot of money for a house plot. I can only think that at that price it's in the mid City area. Where is it? A company ownership is a good plan to follow. Ensuring that you (only) have preferential voting rights is essential.

Buying a house or land now will not really help your visa plans for the future. A retirement extension is out until you are 55.

Your finances have to be proved and evidence of a true relationship supplied for a marriage extension. I can't see how water, electric bills etc will assist in that respect, especially as it will all be in your g/f name. I'm not sure of the full details but many posts exist here in the visa section, it's well worth the browse.

Hopefully someone with some knowledge will post soon but do check everything because not everyone is the expert that they claim to be.

it is a lots of money for a land only, unless you are buying it in a really prime locatio, but First of all, glad to hear that you are going to stay and build something here, nevertheless it would be a better plan to start but not by buying a land and registering it on her name, risking everything you have got unless you act found a good lawyer who can prepare a contract for you and her to sign so that you will be the owner of the property built on the land. anyway it is not fair to always doubt our Thai partners but many cases the situation ends always bad for the expats in case his Thai wife or girlfriend but no one knows your partner better than you and I really wish you all the best but do the needed steps to make it clear from the beginning by consulting a lawyer for a big step like this..

In here Thaivisa website they offer a very good advice: check the link (Ask the Lawyer - Thailand Forum) good luck

฿3m is quite a lot of money for a house plot. I can only think that at that price it's in the mid City area. Where is it? A company ownership is a good plan to follow. Ensuring that you (only) have preferential voting rights is essential.

Buying a house or land now will not really help your visa plans for the future. A retirement extension is out until you are 55.

Your finances have to be proved and evidence of a true relationship supplied for a marriage extension. I can't see how water, electric bills etc will assist in that respect, especially as it will all be in your g/f name. I'm not sure of the full details but many posts exist here in the visa section, it's well worth the browse.

Hopefully someone with some knowledge will post soon but do check everything because not everyone is the expert that they claim to be.

It's 300 thousand and 50 is the age for a retirement visa.

...and no chance for a company set up for the purpose of owning land by a foreigner.

A lawyer about what ?

The law is clear - foreigners can't own land. Even if they could, that would not help getting residency.

No lawyer is needed to understand that.

Come on Paz, the lawyer consultation is something i did when i wanted to settle down and i bought my wife the land and built a house on it and now the house is mine registered in my name but the land which i don't own because it is registered in my wife's name but my wife cant sell it without getting back some because i own the house on it,, thats what the lawyer did for me to protect my rights, investment and savings from being kicked out with nothing in case something wrong happened, like a divorce ..

Sounds again like a solid plan.

Buy the land in your gf her name...State and sign document at land office that it is her money solely.

Then use again your money to construct a house on her land.Building cost for u at least one million BHT.

May we have an update from you in about 7 years time about how it has all worked out for you ? and if you still live in that house smile.png

In case you change you mind u can consider renting such a simular house in Isarn first for 2-3 years.By this time you be a lot wiser then you are now!

This is good advice OP - there's no rush for financial commitment - also I believe under Thai divorce law it is better to marry first before any purchase.

Sounds again like a solid plan.

Buy the land in your gf her name...State and sign document at land office that it is her money solely.

Then use again your money to construct a house on her land.Building cost for u at least one million BHT.

May we have an update from you in about 7 years time about how it has all worked out for you ? and if you still live in that house smile.png

In case you change you mind u can consider renting such a simular house in Isarn first for 2-3 years.By this time you be a lot wiser then you are now!

This is good advice OP - there's no rush for financial commitment - also I believe under Thai divorce law it is better to marry first before any purchase.

Thanks, another reason why renting is a better option is because its more then possible that you do not like the Isarn life style after some months of experiencing it ,So then with a rental property it gives you much more options to pack up your bags and relocate without loosing your 1-2 Million BHT...

A lawyer about what ?

The law is clear - foreigners can't own land. Even if they could, that would not help getting residency.

Come on Paz, the lawyer consultation is something i did when i wanted to settle down and i bought my wife the land and built a house on it and now the house is mine registered in my name but the land which i don't own because it is registered in my wife's name but my wife cant sell it without getting back some because i own the house on it,, thats what the lawyer did for me to protect my rights, investment and savings from being kicked out with nothing in case something wrong happened, like a divorce ..

SJ you are starting to sound like a broken record...are you a junior in a law firm looking for business?

• Like 2

Use the brain in your head...not the head in your pants...when making monetary decisions in Thailand...learn to trust your brain when it comes to protecting you assets...

Try to dismiss the pressure of the little lady or family to invest in their future...at the risk of loosing your hard earned wealth...

I agree that 300,000 baht is not a big risk, but once you start with financial commitment it can get you in deeper and deeper till the next thing you know you are in for millions of baht before you know it.

Sometime, actually often, relationships can change for the worse the deeper you get financially committed.

• Like 2

I don't think you get residency for buying a small piece of land but you loose your money for sure. You get one year visa if you are above 50 years retirement visa that is 800 000 in bank or income of 65000 Baht a month or combination of the two, you marry then you put 400 000 in bank and your marriage certificate, Or get Elite card which will cost you few hundred thousand Baht and you get a 5 years visa. If you are under 50 years old then you can get one year visa with lots of problem by Education visa. If start business then that is another way.

A lawyer about what ?

SJ you are starting to sound like a broken record...are you a junior in a law firm looking for business?

I wish :), but if some of the guys taking this road, trust me a good official advice is required..

I wish smile.png, but if some of the guys taking this road, trust me a good official advice is required..

Sure. Let us know when your officially endorsed piece of paper lets you recoup your losses in Thailand.

I wish smile.png, but if some of the guys taking this road, trust me a good official advice is required..

Sure. Let us know when your officially endorsed piece of paper lets you recoup your losses in Thailand.

Therefore, it would be nice if you enlighten us with what you know Paz...

There is only 5 zeros in his figure IE. 300 thousand baht not 3 million