Time needed for affirmation and wedding certificate in Bangkok

SuengTueng

Hi,

I will be travelling to Bangkok soon for make my marriage official (with thai lady) in Bangkok. I will have to get my affirmation of freedom to marry first at Belgium embassy, then get it translated and after that make the wedding official and get the wedding certificate. How many days would this all take ? 4-5days ?
Thank you for your help!

Depends on your Embassy - can be done in a day or two if no holdup if you use a service (they have agreements to provide the translation/registration at MFA after marriage recorded in some cases from my understanding - even doing it yourself some have done same or next day by paying free for fast service at MFA (believe that is still available - it is a legal service).

But some Embassies can take a long time providing paperwork if previously married or require abnormal paperwork from home country so check that if nobody with your nationality answers.

First is free to marry paper from Embassy

Second is translation to Thai.

Third is registration at MFA.

Fourth is recording marriage at District Office using the above registered copy and normal ID paperwork for both. Remember requires two witness and someone (other than spouse) who reads Thai if you do not as paperwork needs to be explained before you sign. Witness can be from office staff in most cases and some have enough English to explain themselves - but what is contained on that paperwork could be important later so best you know what you are signing.

I was still wondering if it's perfectly fine that after getting my affirmation freedom to marry, to go back to chiangmai and register it at chiangmai MFA and get it translated there and then go to Amphur and get wedding certificate all done in chiangmai and legalize it again in MFA chiangmai ?

MFA is in Bangkok on Chiang Watanna and they do not mention any CHiang Mai facility on there web site - are you sure there is an office there? I believe it all must be done in Bangkok (but you could have document done by translation service and then sent to Chiang Mai).

Legalization Division , 3rd floor

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

123 Chaeng Watthana Road

Bangkok 10210

Tel : 0-2575-1056-59 Fax : 0-2575-1054
Service hours : 08.30 - 14.30 hrs. (Closed on Saturday - Sunday and Public Holidays)
Email : [email protected]

Unless you can get an answer from your nationality or directly from your Embassy we can not answer that as would be likely to vary. The US has a Consulate in Chiang Mai but everyone has to visit in person to sign document and expect most would be the same.