Thai KFC denies hunting down fried chicken copycats in Rayong

Thaivisa News

Rayong:- The ownership of KFC fried chicken copyright in Thailand has denied that it had dispatched representatives to arrest street-side vendors of fried chickens in Rayong.

Yum Restaurants International (Thailand) Co Ltd told Manager Online that it had nothing to do with the arrest and fine of fried chicken vendors at a street-side occasional market in Rayong.

On Friday, about 100 vendors from the market rallied at the Rayong provincial hall, alleging that a group of men who claimed to be police and representatives of copyright owners, arrested many vendors at the market on allegations that they sold goods that violated the copyrights.

The protesting vendors said fried chicken vendors were also arrested on charge of violating KFC copyright although they did not put up a sign to claim that their fried chickens were KFC’s. The vendors claimed that the group demanded them to pay a protection fee for Bt1,000 a month in exchange for no legal actions against them.

According to Manager Online, Yum Restaurants International has sent its officials to visit the market to gather first-hand information.

Manager Online quoted a source from Yum Restaurants as saying that the arrest of vendors was made by a group of persons who did not represent the company at all.

Yum Restaurants has ordered its legal division to take proper actions and the company will also issue a press statement to clarify the incident to the public, the source said.

Yum Restaurants now has 531 KFC shops in Thailand and it plans to open 55 more branches this year.

What authority does a KFC worker have to arrest people?

KFC Freeze mother f,ker and put down the chicken. Back off KFC or the chicken gets it.

You feeling lucky punk?

What if the mother company is telling the truth and it was not their employees who were harassing and "arresting" the vendors? Sounds more like the work of the chicken mafia to me! "you squawk...and you gets what's comin to you, clucker!"

• Like 1

KFC Freeze mother f,ker and put down the chicken. Back off KFC or the chicken gets it.

You feeling lucky punk?

don't move or your fried ..

I've sent some KFC guys over to get abreast of whats cooking..

these KFC thugs are nothing but chickens when the heat is on ..

get all the chicken as evidence ... both spicy and not spicy ..

who has the secret recipe mother f,ker ...

• Like 1

Im guessing this must have been the work of local managers trying to remove competition and saw an opportunity being that they were making false claims. There is no way KFC corporate would ever approve of such actions. Let alone make threats to food stalls without legal action even if under the table... no way! But for sure I would check into the managers of the local KFCs to investigate because this smells of typical thai mafia extortion tactics.

But as a graphic designer it pisses me off to see thais ripping off well known brands to deceive people. I would love to see those guys get fined for copyright violations. Just because it might take more than a couple minutes to come up with an original idea doesnt mean you need to rip another companies branding and ideas.

• Like 1

You feeling lucky punk?

Put your wings behind your head and get up against the coop.

Im guessing this must have been the work of local managers trying to remove competition and saw an opportunity being that they were making false claims. There is no way KFC corporate would ever approve of such actions. Let alone make threats to food stalls without legal action even if under the table... no way! But for sure I would check into the managers of the local KFCs to investigate because this smells of typical thai mafia extortion tactics.

But as a graphic designer it pisses me off to see thais ripping off well known brands to deceive people. I would love to see those guys get fined for copyright violations. Just because it might take more than a couple minutes to come up with an original idea doesnt mean you need to rip another companies branding and ideas.

Rubbish ... You are very miss guided ...

I would love to see the Nike's & the Adidas & KFC's and many other corporate thief companies go broke ...

... These big companies pay meager and minimum wages , they locate there factories in India and Bangladesh where they can abuse the system and regulations on human rights such as 14 work hour work days, no sick time allowed, horrible living quarters and no medical cover and many other issues ....

They don't want to spend big money in the US or UK where they would have to abide by the laws and install proper toilets & fire safety systems etc ... .... and many other requirements

I love copyright violations , what difference is it to say ' Guess ' or ' Rolex ' if the small guy buys a copy Rolex for say 500 baht when he will never be able to afford the original ...

he will never in a million years pay the price what a real would be, as such your corporate is not actually loosing one cent as the lower class people will never buy from them anyway .......

but the street seller who employs one other thai and tries to earn enough to feed his family every day is at least working in some way.

Good on the chicken sellers !! corporate scum mad.gif

IMO.

Edited by steven100
  • Like 2

I very much doubt KFC would try to extort 1000 THB from other chicken vendors. It is more likely the local protection racket (probably ran by the BIB) were trying to supplement their lagging tea money revenues.

If their was any copy write infringement then they would likely go after them the legal way.

Some of the street chicken can be quite tasty but I have read many reports of the dodgy oil they use and re use so I try to stay away from it.

Any half smart person knows what they are buying is fake, tee shirts, handbags, watches, etc. They simply want the brand name without the exorbitant cost of the real thing. Lets face it, the brand companies are not losing out to these brand copies because the buyers are very unlikely to buy the real thing anyway!

• Like 1

last visit to chiang mai in front of western entrance to old city if i remember, was a vendor with FKC, fried kentucky chicken

I saw a road side vendor in Chiang Mai that had KFG sign and logo on their cart. Guessing it means Kentucky fried Gy. biggrin.png

Any half smart person knows what they are buying is fake, tee shirts, handbags, watches, etc. They simply want the brand name without the exorbitant cost of the real thing. Lets face it, the brand companies are not losing out to these brand copies because the buyers are very unlikely to buy the real thing anyway!

Perphaps.. But those that are willing to pay the ridiculous price of the 'Real' goods would then not gain as much face if all the 'rabble' was also carrying goods with the same logo as them...

Part of the 'value' of the Logo is the fact that the goods are so expensive that only the 'exclusive few' get to wear the goods with the label...

Interested to know if you have a work permit to do graphic design in Thailand? Copyright laws are often nothing more than the theft of common language.