School Raid Report

You know that mate! Panic, knee jerk reaction.......everyone's forgotten....back to normal.

Ken I really get the feeling that you don't ever want things to change?

Don't you want things to improve, standards, salaries etc?

Why should any of those things improve mate??? I keep hearing it....I still don't get how...the magic mantra....get rid of non-degreed teachers and the wages will go up....say it enough....you start to believe it!!!

I don't think Thailand wants those things to be honest mate, more importantly I don't think they could handle it (and IMO neither could a lot of the 'proper' teachers!).

I want it to be easier for people with families and kids and others that genuinely CARE about this country (and not the 'we deserve more more more' brigade so much) here to be able to work legally without all of this nonsense about degrees etc.

So yes I would like change but realistic change with a little bit of compassion thrown in for good measure!!! You lot can have the extra money they make from MoE payments, Labour payments, SS payments and tax payments as all of these departments WILL BENEFIT FINANCIALLY FROM MAKING IT EASIER TO BE LEGIT HERE!!!

Sorry! Each to their own though......and I reckon I'm right in my previous post as well....BUT only time will tell!!!

And you redded me you git!!! :o

Edited by kenkannif

Ken's been quite the expert on teacher's documentation in recent years. But especially in the current turmoil, what's an expert to recommend, that you could bet 100 baht (or your visa) on? It was always a bit dodgy, kind of crisp on the edges, mushy below the surface, and pee-water in the center, and now it's all cracked open, uncertain, and very dodgy. Too bad we can't rename this place "Los Angeles Dodgers."

Nothing lasts forever, especially cold November TEFL documentation.

I don't know about nothing lasting forever mate!

Well IME it's just going to go back to normal...or it might actually make them realise that making the process easier would be in their best interests as well.

I'd bet my Visa on it mate and a 100 Baht....'cos I'm an 'expert' and that!

Mate it hasn't really cracked open....the bloke nicked was 'qualified' to teach here....actually if anything they should assume all people with degrees are like him an arrest them all :o

Actually seems to happen a lot in the UK (teachers having sex with their students...which this chap didn't even do) I don't see UK being called a pedo capital etc. It's a joke to be honest......America should have never let him out of their country if he's so dangerous and that....unfair to blame Thailand really.

another thing about this big 'scare' - of the literally hundreds (many have been here a long time and have positions of responsibility - that's why they can sit on the computer all day instead of teaching) of teachers who post on this board, ajarn and Dave's regularly, not one has had direct experience of this crackdown, or whatever nonsensical descriptor you wish to use. 'It's coming', 'you'll be put in prison', bla bla <deleted>. If I hear once more "a friend of mine told me....", I'm going to pull my trousers down and moon my computer.

Mate it hasn't really cracked open....the bloke nicked was 'qualified' to teach here....actually if anything they should assume all people with degrees are like him an arrest them all :o

Actually seems to happen a lot in the UK (teachers having sex with their students...which this chap didn't even do) I don't see UK being called a pedo capital etc. It's a joke to be honest......America should have never let him out of their country if he's so dangerous and that....unfair to blame Thailand really.

Ken, you're referring to John Mark Karr, right? Well, on another thread on this forum,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...mp;#entry879631

Niteowl points out in post #28 that there are reports that Karr never graduated, never was certified, and got his degree/diploma through an American diploma mill (Regent College, New York?). In other words, Karr never was a proper teacher; he was more like a well-dressed KSR backpacker. And he never taught regularly, anywhere, that we can tell.

Of course, that's still a great loss of face to Thailand. And in my novel, I say that in Thailand, loss of face is more important than a guy's sexual endowment.

I do get the impression that, in the absence of facts, rumours are scaring the teachers who are up to 99% legal, to get 100% legal. And that's not easy.

I didn't say he was a proper teacher (and he actually would be in CERTAIN STATES in America...no??? It's not the same for all of them?)...rather I said he was qualified to teach here (which he is right? He'd have got a TL and WP???).

Then again there were 'reports' that he killed that little girl (which turned out not to be true) so who knows to be honest mate???

Loaded,

Indeed mate....we got 'visited' last year and even people I know that aren't particularly naive, or prone to believing BS.....were ringing me up (even recently) with amazingly overblown and downright wrong acccounts of what happened.

The old Chinese whispers in full effect!!!

international schools are starting to freak out now... more and more international schools are being raided, teachers in the lock up, being fingerprinted etc. We're working on an emergency plan, a "what to do if they come here". teachers at some schools are being asked to use the back door, others are told to stay at home. the schools aren't in the wrong, with all the new teachers starting in bangkok at this time of the year the MOE just can't cope - and it seems that the MOE don't communicate very well with the Ministry of Labour or the Immigration Police... if it gets worse there is even talk of a strike...

hotoven, thanks for the hot news. Do you mean the true, top-tier international schools? They have the reputation of only hiring the most properest educationist majorists professionals. I would imagine they have the least to worry about, but you never know. Then again, maybe they're most afraid of losing their reputation.

Talk of a strike, you say? Let me put on my rumour goggles against that one. Do you just mean that all the dodgy teachers at a dodgy international school would refuse to work illegally for a few days, until the honest-to-God owner of the dodgy school decides to go to the expense and trouble of becoming legal himself?

hotoven, thanks for the hot news. Do you mean the true, top-tier international schools? They have the reputation of only hiring the most properest educationist majorists professionals. I would imagine they have the least to worry about, but you never know. Then again, maybe they're most afraid of losing their reputation.

all international schools are in the same boat on this one - even those 3-4 really top schools. When the new teachers come in to start late august or early sep they have their non-imm visas in place and the school gets all the documents together and applies to the Min of Education for their teaching licence. problem there is that all schools in bangkok are applying and there is a massive backlog of applications for the department to get through. Technically all new staff are teaching illegally, but in previous years it has been overlooked for the first couple of months while schools sort their paperwork out. It seems now, that ISAT (International Schools Assoc of Thailand) is holding emergency meetings with the powers that be to try and sort this mess out. They will also ask if schools can in the future start applying for teachers permits before the teachers actually arrive into bangkok - at the moment they are not allowed to do this.

Thanks. In other words, even the MOST truly qualified teachers from abroad are not allowed to apply for a WP until they're on the ground in Thailand. So, there's a built-in waiting period, especially at the busiest time of year.

Maybe the schools should have all new teachers come in early July, and pay them to do nothing, at over 100K per month, until the Thai authorities can make them legal. By "make them legal," that means the schools, the school owners, and the teahers.

Likewise, perhaps all government schools that start the new academic year in mid-May should start the contracts for new teachers in early April.....hah! :o

Thanks. In other words, even the MOST truly qualified teachers from abroad are not allowed to apply for a WP until they're on the ground in Thailand. So, there's a built-in waiting period, especially at the busiest time of year.

Maybe the schools should have all new teachers come in early July, and pay them to do nothing, at over 100K per month, until the Thai authorities can make them legal. By "make them legal," that means the schools, the school owners, and the teahers.

Likewise, perhaps all government schools that start the new academic year in mid-May should start the contracts for new teachers in early April.....hah! :o

How long does it take you to get all your paperwork in order?

They would need to be paying people from February to get the paperwork in time for May!

As far as I can tell it normally takes at least three weeks, but at this time of the year it can take closer to 3 months. It can be a tight squeeze getting all the paperwork through before the non b visa runs out.

As far as I can tell it normally takes at least three weeks, but at this time of the year it can take closer to 3 months. It can be a tight squeeze getting all the paperwork through before the non b visa runs out.

Generally as long as the paperwork has been put in they'll extend your 3 month Non-imm B entry to give your employer enough time to sort out the process.

Edited by kenkannif