Which martial art to chose for a 12 year old girl?

Confuscious

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope this helps;

I'm a professional martial arts instructor (Krav Maga), my certification comes from the Wingate Insitute in Israel from back in 1995. We get taught to teach, if that makes sense?Just as with teaching anti-terrorism we need certification to teach children as the method of teaching is so vastly different that the way of teaching adults or even teens (teaching by association through games etc).

My advice to you, for what it's worth, is that the most important thing is not so much the style, but the teacher/instructor after all, this person will be responsible for your child's safety as well as anything else. Go with your daughter and watch a few lessons to see how the instructor interacts with the children. Are they having fun? Has he got the whole class under control and not focussing on just a few? Safety in training.. With Aikido for example, wrist and hand locks can be devastating on joints so is the instructor cautioning his students correctly?

Your daughter has to want to go and you as the parent and guardian need to be confident leaving your child in his/her hands. Good lick and feel free to message me if you need

Teak won do, as it is good for exercices like stretching, also self discipline and it is good to start doesn't matter the age from 3 to XX. I've started myself in Korea 2 years ago (I should do it earlier) and I think it is better than MuayThai for a Girl.

I know most points have been covered but I would say that if your goal is for her to defend herself then to be

honest none of them are any good. To defend yourself against an attacker, in a real life situation which would

probably be a man is very difficult and she would need to build good technique and an ability to stay calm in a

serious situation . BUT as others have said learning something is good and better than nothing

The teacher is very important and a possible recky down to the classes to have a look and see what goes on. Have

a chat with the teacher, students etc

I would say... Muay Thai is great for fitness, flexibility and technique. Unless they teach the more advanced stuff it will probably involve punches, kicks, knees and elbows and involve wearing gloves so no "self defence" to grabs etc

Taekwondo is very popular and again great for fitness. flexibility and technique but it is a sport and therefore again no "self

defence"

Aikido , will not bulld such fitness but will involve good technique, rolling and break falling and that Japanese

bushido so hopefully some good disclipine too and some focus. The techniques are made to use others energy and

joint manipulation, expect some techniques tried out on you... It's not so real life as punching and kicking but if she's grabbed she'll know what to do. You can always and easily do bag work at home

So , depending on your goal and your daughter I hope this has helped and whatever one she chooses I hope she enjoys

it

The choice was already made after the first answers in this thread.

She will start with the Aikido lessons in March, 15th.

We had a discussion with the Aikido teacher (an army Lieutenant) and he was convinced that for self-defense Aikido was one of the best sports.

. sounds like a good military instructor will be great.

A few years ago she started to learn to play Golf with a military instructor too.

I had to drag her home every time she was playing Golf.

Lot's of kids of her age playing Golf together at the Military base.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The choice was already made after the first answers in this thread.

She will start with the Aikido lessons in March, 15th.

We had a discussion with the Aikido teacher (an army Lieutenant) and he was convinced that for self-defense Aikido was one of the best sports.

A wise move young Confuscious :-) as you say it's a sport but it's good you've had a chat with the teacher. I would be interested to know what they teach her but I am sure she'll enjoy it and I am sure she'll be putting you in a few locks and holds .

Teak won do, as it is good for exercices like stretching, also self discipline and it is good to start doesn't matter the age from 3 to XX. I've started myself in Korea 2 years ago (I should do it earlier) and I think it is better than MuayThai for a Girl.

I have a 12 year old girl and was thinking about judo as it's a sport. Taekwondo as well.

For self defence, I'd go with aikido.

I studied Wu Shu Kung f u and looks good and got out a dangerous situation once just by performing some simple defense stances lol.

But really, my daughter is not going to be in any dangerous situation ie out my sight for another few years,

I'm a professional martial arts instructor (Krav Maga), my certification comes from the Wingate Insitute in Israel from back in 1995. We get taught to teach, if that makes sense?

It makes certainly sense.

I am a Music teacher and in my country, you can only be a teacher AFTER you finished a study Pedagogic with success.

Pedagogic is the study of "teaching" and how to teach persons at different ages, different levels/skills and different backgrounds.

The fact that you ask if learning to teach makes sense is quit strange to me.

You should ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris choose?

He is so fast that he can run around the world and slap himself on the back of his head. He is so strong that when he does push ups he does not actually push himself up but he pushes the world down.

She should study the art she enjoys and rely on preemption and avoidance to stay out of trouble. If she absolutely has to win fights then of the three she should train Muay Thai, and it's not even close. Aikido... lol. You guys watch too many movies.

Aikido if the teacher is good. Great martial art especially for female as it uses other persons energy against them

Taekwando if you ONLY want her to be flexible and fit. Amazing flexibility, jumps, roundhouse kicks in the air, pretty useless in real life when it comes to self defense

I'm not sure what tae kwon do school you trained at but your statement is way off the mark, tae kwon do is very proactive when it comes to street fighting, your taught how to punch properly and most of the time one punch will be enough to finish things but more importantly your taught to try and avoid violent situations, self discipline.

Try watching little less movies.

A good reason why Taekwando is not taught in any military or security courses,

Again, little less movies. Self discipline is taught in ALL martial arts and "punching" is NOT Taekwando feature, kicking is.

So, again, little less moviesthumbsup.gif

Have any of you ever taught kids karate????

Rote drills.....twenty plus kids to a class....it takes an artist to keep then focused......then....one in a thousand......makes it worth it......if its the flavor of the day......nix it.

im 55.....started my training at 11...... its just a part of my life.....kept me outta drugs...healthy diet....flexibility.....but the diamond......confidence......

Aikido, traditional aikikai. This becomes a way of life, and can be practised until one is very old. If your daughter wishes to learn humility and supreme self confindence, study Aikido. This martial art can be as gentle or as hard as you wish. There are many clips on You Tube. Show her, she will not regret it, ever. If she likes the discipline and inner peace that Aikido has then it will be hers for life.

I was a professional Aikido instructor in Japan for 20 years.

So, I think Aikido is a great art to study.

Your daughter can learn a lot in one year, and at the same time she will have just scratched the surface.

One class I have always loved teaching is "self defense for women".

A very rewarding class for the ladies, because they can fairly quickly develop skills that are effective in situations when men are over the top aggressive.

I would suggest you and or your daughter asking if there will be any practical self defense classes.

Well, she won't benefit much if she can only do it for a year. What she learn will be lost. Trust me, I did martial arts from 7-21 years-old.

Muay Thai = best self defense

Taekwondo = just for showing off fancy kicks

Aikido = looks like the most fun

The only martial art that can train you to defend yourself is one that is real-life, but do you really want your daughter in a Muay Thai ring getting a thick ear?

The other ones which are choreographed are useless for self defense and just give a false sense of security.

Running is a good form of martial arts.

I won by last fight by a kilometre. I ran fast. True.

Read the books about VERBAL JUDO. Security guards who are not permitted to go hands on, use it very effectively in hospitals and courthouses

What's her goal?

Self-defense and conditioning in a short amount of time (like 1 year) ? Muay Thai. Your kid will be in shape and have the ability to handle herself in a fight.

Aikido? How many year's does she plan to dedicate her life to the practice. If you don't plan on practicing a lifetime, don't start. 1 year is not going to get her anywhere. Take it from a former uchideshi who didn't keep up the practice over time.

Taekwondo? Want a martial art that looks pretty and makes you effective at scoring love pats during a tournament bout, go for it. Been there, done that too.

If your in Pattaya: Krav Marga If you can find an instructor (maybe in one the Russian communities: Systema

If it was my daughter, I'd get her into one year of self-defense (i.e., Krav Marga, Systema, etc). If I was unable to find an instructor for self-defense, Muay Thai. And go one better. Practice with her.

Edited by connda

Aikido and TaeKwondo are for show and Aikido especially is useless in reality or self defence. Anyone that says Aikido is good doesn't know what they are talking about. Muay Thai all the way. Also Boxing or MMA but gyms are hard to come by in Thailand. Trust me trying to put someone in a funny little arm lock when there really swinging for you does not work.

All traditional Martial art is for self defense.

Your daughter is 12 one only hopes whatever choice she makes the teacher can also teach her the reason for learning the art. Maybe old school to many for martial school should be for defense only. That being said here is my opinion. MuayThai for a girl is too grueling or painful so to me that cancelled itself out. Taekwondo, has turned into a show with all the fancy kicks and stuff derived from tournaments and as I say Hollywood but the tradition forms taught is where all the technique are learn but rarely displayed in fighting at tournaments. All people see are the fancy kicks etc.

Based on the three, you should be glad your daughter has interest Aikido as noted by many, since it is more useful up close and the style it would allow her to practice for years to come. In all due respect to the individual who said it was useless, of all the three it is a true all of defense and from the defense comes the offense. It takes years of training for a individual to be able to stand within arms defense of a individual or larger and wait for the attack. This act takes into consideration aggressive opponents swinging and uses their power and aggression to your advantage. Like the other arts including MMA, basically it takes strength which when you get older we seem to have less at a certain point. Aikido she will also learn many of the pressure points which will stay with your daughter years after she decides to quit.

Outside of your three choices if you are in Pattaya, you might pay a visit to a Shaolin studio on 3rd road off Pattaya Klang. My nieces love it!

The other since someone mention the late Bruce Lee, but you will find it impossible to find a real teacher and that is Wing Chun, my daughter in the States has been learning this for near 30 years started when she was 10, I've seen her practice and her husband who also practice say she is not someone you want to meet in a dark alley. I myself practice more for the mental aspect but gets pretty lonely since have no one to practice with except my wooden dummy.

But out of the three you mention I agree with most Aikido is a art if taught and learn properly can handle opponents much larger. Any who say it is useless is the one who hasn't seen a Master use it.

Good luck

Edited by thailand49

....now as an old man....I polish my swords....oil my knives......as a kinda aerobic exercise.....

As ex-military I just make sure the barrel is clean and all other parts are working well. Kinda aerobic? Not sure, but just kinda comforting though coffee1.gif

Yes, I learned un-armed combat, drive the nose into the brain etc but the "clean barrel" still sits better with me.

All traditional Martial art is for self defense.

Your daughter is 12 one only hopes whatever choice she makes the teacher can also teach her the reason for learning the art. Maybe old school to many for martial school should be for defense only. That being said here is my opinion. MuayThai for a girl is too grueling or painful so to me that cancelled itself out. Taekwondo, has turned into a show with all the fancy kicks and stuff derived from tournaments and as I say Hollywood but the tradition forms taught is where all the technique are learn but rarely displayed in fighting at tournaments. All people see are the fancy kicks etc.

Based on the three, you should be glad your daughter has interest Aikido as noted by many, since it is more useful up close and the style it would allow her to practice for years to come. In all due respect to the individual who said it was useless, of all the three it is a true all of defense and from the defense comes the offense. It takes years of training for a individual to be able to stand within arms defense of a individual or larger and wait for the attack. This act takes into consideration aggressive opponents swinging and uses their power and aggression to your advantage. Like the other arts including MMA, basically it takes strength which when you get older we seem to have less at a certain point. Aikido she will also learn many of the pressure points which will stay with your daughter years after she decides to quit.

Outside of your three choices if you are in Pattaya, you might pay a visit to a Shaolin studio on 3rd road off Pattaya Klang. My nieces love it!

The other since someone mention the late Bruce Lee, but you will find it impossible to find a real teacher and that is Wing Chun, my daughter in the States has been learning this for near 30 years started when she was 10, I've seen her practice and her husband who also practice say she is not someone you want to meet in a dark alley. I myself practice more for the mental aspect but gets pretty lonely since have no one to practice with except my wooden dummy.

But out of the three you mention I agree with most Aikido is a art if taught and learn properly can handle opponents much larger. Any who say it is useless is the one who hasn't seen a Master use it.

Good luck

Aikido is indeed very useful but it takes a lot of practice to use it in real life situations. Not something you can learn in a year when you practice f.i. Once a week...