Leaving Thailand for good

maxme

That's a good point. I too worked hard to get where I am, and my earning potential, and what I am again earning now that I'm back in the States, is quite good. Retirement for me was boring, debilitating even.

But many of those contending Thailand is cheaper, had low earning ability and "retired" to a third world country on a tight pension. I don't criticize that, but it does not mean LOS is cheaper than the States. It means you are giving things up.

And I lived in Chiang Mai. A truly "nice" apartment and all the amenities someone listed, can not be had for 45,000 baht a month. The nice condos cost 25-30k a month alone. Hell, just the Starbucks he claims to drink every day would be costing him 4000 baht a month.

All the guys who say Thailand is cheaper, always focus on the rent.

Well I've never been in the US or had a Starbucks in Europe, but here it is the equvalent of between 3 and 4$.

What is the price of a Starbucks coffee in the US?

I'm sure in Europe you can't have one for the price as in Thailand.

Out in Washington State, where Starbucks began, the price is pretty much identical to the one you quoted.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good point. I too worked hard to get where I am, and my earning potential, and what I am again earning now that I'm back in the States, is quite good. Retirement for me was boring, debilitating even.

But many of those contending Thailand is cheaper, had low earning ability and "retired" to a third world country on a tight pension. I don't criticize that, but it does not mean LOS is cheaper than the States. It means you are giving things up.

And I lived in Chiang Mai. A truly "nice" apartment and all the amenities someone listed, can not be had for 45,000 baht a month. The nice condos cost 25-30k a month alone. Hell, just the Starbucks he claims to drink every day would be costing him 4000 baht a month.

Well I've never been in the US or had a Starbucks in Europe, but here it is the equvalent of between 3 and 4$.

Went in one once since I've been back. A "grande" latte gave me a small amount of change back from a fiver.

For the reading impaired who have commented I live in California, I don't. I never said I did. Try reading my post again if you still don't believe me.

I did have my career there, but like most Californians with a brain, upon earning my vested pension, left for less expensive places where my retirement check went further, and wasn't taxed.

I now live in SLC, and am building my retirement home in the woods of Idaho, where land is far cheaper than in Thailand.

Your posting was California specific, so we focused on that.

Salt Lake city is the world's largest hole above ground and I pity your wife. OMG, what a wasteland both in terms of culture and aesthetics. get some photos of her for memories ... for she will flee before August of 2015.

You see, dear friend, there is a REASON some places are dirt cheap (like the middle of a desert) ... They suck.

OMG, I really am laughing out loud. This entire thread is pivoting on a comparison of one of the world's most beautiful countries and people ... with SALT LAKE CITY.

I am laughing so hard ... OMG ... I think i just pee'd ,myself a little

F ing HYSTERICAL !!

Salt Lake City! If someone offered me $150,000 a year, and the only stipulation was I could not cross the city line of SLC, i would reply "Not for twice that amount."

(And YES ... i have been there. Really a ring of hell. Just awful)

Wow, you are sounding so ignorant! Utah and SLC are some of the most beautiful places on earth! Ever heard of Park City or Sundance, or half a dozen famous national parks ...or the 14 other famous ski resorts, or Lake Powell, various other rivers, mountains, etc. And it is not dirt cheap ...not at all.

Bangkok, now that is one gorgeous sh&t hole!! With so much variety ...water skiing one moment, snow skiing the next day, awesome fishing, beautiful red rock deserts and green, lush, tall mountains, all in a very small area ... maybe those things are not "your things" but for people who enjoy that you are putting down one of the best places in a pretty extreme way!

Just so you don't look so stupid if this subject ever comes up again, you should check Google images a bit and take a look around. Look at some real estate ...SLC has grown a lot and it sounds like you haven't been there since 1975 or so.

I know it is a place a lot of people like to knock, for some reason, but mostly people who have little to no experience in the state or city ...like they visited on a business trip for 3 days, stayed near the airport and "got a bad vibe" and they really can't usually explain it past that.

Geez, what a huge pile of manure you're shoveling. I happened to agree with the BKK dude. I've been to Salt Lake City. Many times. Yes, the scenery is nice. But the Mojave Desert is even more beautiful, yet, I wouldn't want to freakin live there. If you like predictable, bland, and downright uninspiring, Salt Lake City is for you. The entire state of Utah for that matter. And what exactly makes you the authority on what everyone should consider "the most beautiful place on Earth?"

Went in one once since I've been back. A "grande" latte gave me a small amount of change back from a fiver.

So definitely a coffee from a US based company will not save you any money compared to one from the same US company in Thailand. Check

Now, to go back to your earlier post.

The mechanic that looked at your lawn mower will charge you more to LOOK at it than the Thai mechanic would charge to repair it. In my country they charge 2400 Baht an hour to LOOK at it. Check

As I'm a Belgian, the best Belgian beers ( Leffe, Duvel,Hoeagaarden) can be had at expat bars in Thailand ( non girl bar) for less than I can have them in Belgium. Check

In Thailand I pay no taxes on my money I worked for all my life, I doubt you are in the same position in the US. Check

That the prices for Thai ingredients at the Asian market in the US are lower than in Thailand is simply an untruth and everyone knows that. Check

I think you're just making things up because you don't want to lose face.

Edited by Anthony5

Life is certainly cheaper here, unless you insist on trying to live a western lifestyle.

But if you want to live a western lifestyle, why the hell move here in the first place?

Because my employer told me to.

OB

And you agreed because your employer pays you a multiple of what he would have paid you at home.

I did move to Vietnam based on only 1-month long scouting trip to country, differences were so great that it was actually very easy decision to make especially while being single. I list here some of the biggest differences between Vietnam and Thailand, these are just my point of views and not meant to p*** any hc Thailand fans off. I just list few points and not in any specific order, some of these may not feel important for some... for me they are like domino effect.

1. People are much more polite and friendly in Vietnam. Especially Vietnamese males are much more polite with much better manners than their Thai counterparts, and generally Vietnamese are being more helpful with tourists. Here "loosing the face" is not controlling people's life, people do not pretend to know things if they don't.

2. A legal 100% foreign ownership in business is quite easy to setup using local law firms, Vietnam is actually very happy to receive foreign investments and they also show it. Land ownership is still illegal for foreigners, but I would not be surprised if that will open to us here in the near future. Country is in huge state of change, and government is trying to keep up with country's development rush.

3. Taxis and the drivers… Whoa! Vietnamese taxis are clean and have meters, and drivers do use meters without even asking for it. (I use taxis daily here in Vietnam, but absolutely nothing negative to comment.)

At Thailand especially tourist locations taxis are operated by violent and aggressive drivers and their mafias, serious attacks against tourists are common problem today as you all TVF users knows.

4. No aggressive or pushy street vendors in Vietnam. You can actually walk in Vietnam on sidewalk without being physically stopped or blocked by vendors, who are trying to crab you from arm etc.… This is one of the biggest turn-offs for most tourists, and is getting even worst on Thailand’s main tourist locations. This may sound racist but I am clad that Vietnam is not over run by vendors from India, Nepal or Bangladesh. (What is the case especially in Thailand’s tourist hubs)

5. Beaches are better in Vietnam. I am taking main beach of Nha Trang for example, I have never seen so clean and well maintained beach in Thailand. Nha Trang beach has trash bins everywhere, and city workers clean beach daily. In Thailand they only dig holes and burry the trash to the sand when situation gets too bad, just moving the problem a little bit further in time. Also lack of Jet Skis on beaches + operator mafia and their notorious scams against tourists is huge bonus for Vietnam, also making beaches much more enjoyable in general.

6. Vietnam is cleaner, a lot cleaner. Trash bins available everywhere is welcome sight what is not common in Thailand, difference between countries gets even greater when comparing coastal tourist locations like Nha Trang and Phuket.

7. Traffic here can look chaotic but is working much better than in Thailand, but more important it is like 100x safer. You can travel around the country for month without seeing one traffic accident, and people do obey the traffic rules especially in the cities (everyone wears a helmet). Opposite to Thailand people (local and foreigners) do not drive reckless, they take all other drivers to consideration around them. (don't know if Vietnamese being 80% atheist and not believing regarnation makes them more life honouring people)

8. Here in Vietnam Im not a "farang" to local people, I am equal as person even not a Viet. They have no word in their language to call foreigners in negative manner generally. Vietnam contains over 100 different ethnic groups what makes them to see themselves as "collective" and not "one", and I think this is the key for their open-mind attitude towards outsiders.

I could go on and on about Vietnam being a lot cheaper holiday destination etc. etc., but I bet you all got my point already. Those who wonders what Im doing still here in TVF, I want to say that reading all this bs happening in Thailand just makes me feel better about my move.

shhh!

Life is certainly cheaper here, unless you insist on trying to live a western lifestyle.

But if you want to live a western lifestyle, why the hell move here in the first place?

Because my employer told me to.

OB

And you agreed because your employer pays you a multiple of what he would have paid you at home.

Just saying people move here for different reasons. In my circle mostly for work and not the lifestyle. I don't find Bangkok that cheap, but that's just my experience. Would be nice if wine was a bit cheaper like HK.

OB

Those who wonders what Im doing still here in TVF, I want to say that reading all this bs happening in Thailand just makes me feel better about my move.

That does explain a lot about why those who've left are still posting on TV....although you seem to have a severe case of "selective reading." But I hope all the malcontents and miserable mugs who are still in Thailand read your Vietnam post and decide to follow you out there. Maybe they'll prefer a Communist country to what we have in the LOS.

I wish we could dispel the myth that you can own a home in the USA...you can not. You just rent it from the government.

If you do not pay your property tax every month find out how much you actually own when guys with guns come to take it.

Thailand is a smelly rathole huh?

I have been all over the US, (basically like a truck driver, but different job) and have seen A LOT of it. The US is pretty ruff in a lot of parts. Many inner cities are totally bombed out. The old cool downtowns in small places are deserted and boarded up.

The zombified population waddles into the local Walmart to buy their GMO and High Fructose Corn Syrup and pick up their prozac.

Most of the women are fat, if not morbidly obese (although this is getting a bit better as people start to wake up). (The men are just as bad)

Total Police State with a fed gov't bent on empire and control and a broken fake 2 party system.

That said, lots of good things about the place I still love....for me a little time in both places with an edge to Thailand.

You can't own a home in the US? - that is just silly. When you purchase property you agree to pay property taxes which cover infrastructure like police, fire protection, schools etc. Don't want to pay your portion? - rent, but you can be sure that monthly rent factors in those same taxes.

Well technically, if you're still paying mortgage on the house, the bank owns it. Which is the case for most Americans. Conversely in Thailand, if you're in a rock solid marriage, you do own your house. It just happens to be in the wife's name. Semantics, really.

Cesspit ? Why ? Please explain what has changed.

Left the shythole, went back for 2 weeks recently...wanted to change the flights to depart earlier...could not wait to leave... happily cancelled my retirement visa on departure....the place is just a cesspit these days

Cesspit ? Why ? Please explain what has changed.

Left the shythole, went back for 2 weeks recently...wanted to change the flights to depart earlier...could not wait to leave... happily cancelled my retirement visa on departure....the place is just a cesspit these days

His enlightenment occurred about the same time that he realized he really wasn't a "hansum man" afterall.

Those who wonders what Im doing still here in TVF, I want to say that reading all this bs happening in Thailand just makes me feel better about my move.

That does explain a lot about why those who've left are still posting on TV....although you seem to have a severe case of "selective reading." But I hope all the malcontents and miserable mugs who are still in Thailand read your Vietnam post and decide to follow you out there. Maybe they'll prefer a Communist country to what we have in the LOS.

Why are they,

a, so bitter and twisted and

b, if its such a shythole why did they stay for so long before leaving.

Why are they,

Because their dick liked it here?

Some people on this forum seem so paranoid about Thailand. It is a wonder some of them can get out the front door. All these, mostly Thais and seemingly especially Thai women,that they believe are out to get them! I am wary of all humans but i am not gonna let it stop me enjoying life in this wonderful country. Whatever you put wholeheartedly and honestly into Thailand you will get back in kind, get back doubled. I have always found it to be more fair to foreigners than its own people. This will be shocking and ridiculous to the majority of TVF sceptics who will say I have gone troppo. If you knew me you would understand the reasons why i can be so positive and why, to return to the OP's original diatribes, living anywhere but here could never be right for me. I'll go up the chimney at the local temple when the time comes.

I did move to Vietnam based on only 1-month long scouting trip to country, differences were so great that it was actually very easy decision to make especially while being single.

7. Traffic here can look chaotic but is working much better than in Thailand, but more important it is like 100x safer. You can travel around the country for month without seeing one traffic accident, and people do obey the traffic rules especially in the cities (everyone wears a helmet). Opposite to Thailand people (local and foreigners) do not drive reckless, they take all other drivers to consideration around them.

"Traffic here can look chaotic but is working much better than in Thailand, but more important it is like 100x safer."

That is a bit over exaggerated.

I hope your other enthusiastic written differences in your posting are more accurate. ;-)

100 times safer? blink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Thailand death toll per 100.000 people is a very high 38, fourth highest in list,

World average is18.

Vietnam is with nearly 25, not really 100 x safer rolleyes.gif

Oh for some Thai massage and foot massage places readily available in the USA. San Diego is the closest place I have seen that has as many massage places, many are chinese and not Thai, but at least they do have a foot thingy. Claremont Mesa area has some pretty 20 - 30 USD an hour places. But nothing like a little Thai walk in foot massage place. Gosh I can't wait to get there., < 20 days to go

The $5 massages I do miss dearly.

But my wife promised to take a massage course before coming here.

Soapy or non-soapy? Huge difference!

Lasted seven years, came back last fall.

Cost of living is cheaper here,

Huh????

It is for me, to live a Western lifestyle. I don't want to live "like a Thai."

Yeah - I suspect that if one's plan is to find a patch of America (etc) in another country, it's going to be more expensive and not live up to your hopes/expectations. But that shouldn't be the goal of moving "overseas", should it?

And, just exactly what kind of government does Thailand have? You know, the kind that we aren't allowed to accurately describe on here?

I did move to Vietnam based on only 1-month long scouting trip to country, differences were so great that it was actually very easy decision to make especially while being single.

7. Traffic here can look chaotic but is working much better than in Thailand, but more important it is like 100x safer. You can travel around the country for month without seeing one traffic accident, and people do obey the traffic rules especially in the cities (everyone wears a helmet). Opposite to Thailand people (local and foreigners) do not drive reckless, they take all other drivers to consideration around them.

"Traffic here can look chaotic but is working much better than in Thailand, but more important it is like 100x safer."

That is a bit over exaggerated.

I hope your other enthusiastic written differences in your posting are more accurate. ;-)

100 times safer? blink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Thailand death toll per 100.000 people is a very high 38, fourth highest in list,

World average is18.

Vietnam is with nearly 25, not really 100 x safer rolleyes.gif

I know these listings on internet what makes this whole thing so weird, I haven't witnessed even one traffic accident so far. There must be lot more accidents on rural areas and maybe on highways, because in the city you hardly ever see youngsters speeding etc... Traffic culture IS very different here.

What I did witness almost daily while living in Thailand was total disregard towards others safety on streets and roads, and so I did use "100x" on my post to impress my own reception about the difference between countries.

As I stated on my post, I was merely stetting my own personal view and what I have witnessed with my own eyes.

Oh for some Thai massage and foot massage places readily available in the USA. San Diego is the closest place I have seen that has as many massage places, many are chinese and not Thai, but at least they do have a foot thingy. Claremont Mesa area has some pretty 20 - 30 USD an hour places. But nothing like a little Thai walk in foot massage place. Gosh I can't wait to get there., < 20 days to go

The $5 massages I do miss dearly.

But my wife promised to take a massage course before coming here.

Soapy or non-soapy? Huge difference!

No Soapy anywhere I have ever seen or heard of.

And, just exactly what kind of government does Thailand have? You know, the kind that we aren't allowed to accurately describe on here?

My point exactly!

Here in Vietnam people have total freedom of speech, not the case like it is at "land of scams".

I am very sorry that my own personal point of views regarding the differences between Thailand and Vietnam offends some of you so much, as I was merely listing my own reasons for leaving as reply to OP.

I thought I missed the US until I came back. Now, I can't wait to get back to Thailand! America is so boring and American women are just nasty.

At 85 tell me how women in America will my money as much as here

Women can only take what they can steal or give them in America Lawyers will take it all

Come here and have you family and send you only 3 thousand a month

Exactly how many women do you require at 85 years of age?

mentally, the urge does not diminish. its only the body the rebels.

The most bitter of the bitterexpat dot com crowd seem to be the most vocal, but it is like that on a lot of forums...meh.

Anyways, I imagine a lot of these guys that get pissed off and burnt out are in some cases control freaks that can not handle the outlaw nature of Thailand or just were either unlucky in who they met here or did not fit in well.

answer to A and B/ Booze and bar girls nothing more. Shut down the girly bars millions would leave tomorrow. Raise the tax on booze . same thing.

Why are they,

They are paranoid because they never took any time to learn the language . The majority of their time was getting drunk with their so called buddies , wasting money on hookers, and surviving on over priced crap foreigner food at Big C. Like most living here they are totally helpless without the bar girl in tow. you can tell by their non stop paranoid where am i look and the constant scowl.

Some people on this forum seem so paranoid about Thailand. It is a wonder some of them can get out the front door. All these, mostly Thais and seemingly especially Thai women,that they believe are out to get them! I am wary of all humans but i am not gonna let it stop me enjoying life in this wonderful country. Whatever you put wholeheartedly and honestly into Thailand you will get back in kind, get back doubled. I have always found it to be more fair to foreigners than its own people. This will be shocking and ridiculous to the majority of TVF sceptics who will say I have gone troppo. If you knew me you would understand the reasons why i can be so positive and why, to return to the OP's original diatribes, living anywhere but here could never be right for me. I'll go up the chimney at the local temple when the time comes.

Edited by Jungle Jim

A military Junta!!

I am here 2 years now and I have decided I will not renew my retirement visa next year.

I miss:

beautiful national parks in the US

beautiful coastlines that are not full of litter

forests that actually have abundant wildlife

fresh seafood in the Pacific Northwest

sea kayaking in the PNW being able to buy a real sea kayak, custom fitted to me

the best tasting beer in the world

the best mountain biking in the world and being able to buy a mountain bike in my size

being able to own land and a home in my name

having an intelligent conversation

being about to go listen to live music, going to a concert of someone famous

being able to call 911 and having a well trained paramedic arrive

reliable postal delivery of something important and expensive

I have great health care from my government pension so that is not an issue.

I understand the people that will stay here until the end are many are from UK.

There are some very beautiful places in the US/Canada.

I will take back my thai cooking skills and my defensive motorcycling skills are much better.

nothing here in LOS blew me away... it is not at all paradise to me. I enjoyed the chaos to some extent and loved going to the food markets. I enjoyed motorcycling some of the mountains up north and visiting the hill tribe people and the small villages along the off beaten roads. Cool people there.

BUT, I am cheating myself out a great retirement life living here. I also think it is unsafe and unhealthy living here.

I have many great memories and wonderful adventures awaiting me in the states and I can afford a good life there. This was a stop off to sort out my life after turning 50, retiring and getting a divorce... it has played out for me, time to go enjoy life and have fun.

I will most likely go to Bali for 2 months during the winter if I return to SEA, but more than likely my trips will be South America or Eastern Europe.

The best tasting beer in the world???

You must be joking...or no clue about beer....