Leaving Thailand for good

maxme

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the old saying ? Don,t let the door hit you in the ass when your leaving. My only wish for New Years was millions of boozers and losers will leave Southeast Asia this year. Young and old men and women. You bitch and moan how much you hate Thailand yet you stay. You spend many of your days drunk, being obnoxious to your guests the Thais never bothered to learn the language nor customs, hung out with other drunk foreigners and your so called bar girl girlfriends or wife and wonder why you have such a horrible life here. Please leave and give us the folks who love this country and our guests so more room. So Long Farewell And Goodbye.

Lasted seven years, came back last fall.

Cost of living is cheaper here,

Huh????

It is for me, to live a Western lifestyle. I don't want to live "like a Thai."

I don't either.

I live in a nice apartment with maid service and laundry pickup/deliver close in in Chiang Mai, eat at western restaurants daily, get several massages a week, drink coffee daily at Starbucks, all for less that 1500 USD/month. That also includes gasoline for the motorbike and car, and all utilities and 3g cell phone service. City living at it's best. Where in the US could you get that?

You receive a moderately comfortable lifestyle at a reduced cost because you are gambling the odds 24/7 in a place where if for instance someone gets seriously injured in a car crash and you are at fault - even the best 1st class insurance won't get you off the hook, a place where safety standards are laughable, the quality of the food, air and water are often downright miserable, if you get food poisoning or fall into a 2 Meter deep hole in the road or succumb to any number of other unsafe conditions, there is essentially no recourse/no compensation. A place where despite the smiles, the local people largely view foreigners as strange creatures to be looked down upon and taken advantage of. A place where you generally don't call the Police when there is a problem....because well, they are the problem! Overall, it's a great place to live....as long as nothing ever goes wrong, because when it does, you are almost exclusively on your own!

Looks like you are rich..and you do not qualify to compare Thailand life with USA life...at all....and that's the problem with many expats here, not only from the US.

Move to Thailand expecting to have the same "amenities" like in the US, it is plain ignorance of the reality, and the world cultures.

Believe it or not, the best of Thailand is the QUALITY of most of its people, and its way of see life in its BIG picture, something that NEVER will happens in the US. Unfortunately...because the US still thinking that can imposes its way of life around the world, and may be successful.

Not rich, but I am comfortable.

I did not move to Thailand expecting to have the same amenities, I moved there because I could, not because I had to. I enjoyed it for a while, accomplished what I went for, and would have left happy sooner than I did, except I met my wife. She made staying bearable.

You seem to fall in that large category of folk who confuse a country's wonderful people, with its crappy government. Now that's real ignorance.

Huh????

Yeah - I suspect that if one's plan is to find a patch of America (etc) in another country, it's going to be more expensive and not live up to your hopes/expectations. But that shouldn't be the goal of moving "overseas", should it?

Not necessarily... I am one of "those" people that doesn't want to live like a Thai and more or less transplanted my western standard of living to Thailand, although in a much nicer neighborhood and house than I had in the US... Net effect, I'm saving 35% on total outlay for housing, while saving even more on utilities, food, insurance, entertainment and everything else I do on a regular basis... For those that say they "own" their property in the US, miss a couple property tax payments or get setup on a asset forfeiture case with the Plod and you will find out who really owns your a##... My lifestyle hasn't changed that much after moving back to Thailand, while my quality of life is much better and costs far less than in the US...

This is an old debate as none of us are in the same place mentally about where we want to call home... For the most part, those that decide to live outside their home countries are a more adventurous group than those that never leave to explore the world... We can be a restless lot and many are constantly looking for greener grass on the other side of the fence, while becoming jaded with where we currently reside... Thailand can grate on your nerves if you let it, or you can adopt the mai phen rai attitude and just say f##k it, enjoy every day because it might be your last...

What I really don't understand is the argument over why Thailand is better or worse than your home country... It's different, which is part of the attraction... If you don't like it, then so be it, but no need to flog the horse on the way out the door...

Oh, phleeeze!

No government is "perfect," but the US Fed government has to be the "King Daddy" of cronyism and corruption.

Some recent examples are Ukraine, Iraq "Weapons of mass destruction," 9-11, and the bankers/corporations, et al walking off with all of the loot after 2008 financial crisis(fines "paid" instead of jail.... sending the world economies reeling and the masses into despair). (Extra credit... Who and what invented derivatives?)

Because of technology, in the US "they" now know who you are, where you are, how much you have and/or owe, what you consume, your medical condition, your interests.... Basically anything important. IN REAL TIME!

I envision the day when traffic (speeding) tickets are mailed to you based on GPS data transmitted from your car (Oh! they already issue "traffic light" tickets based on license plate reading cameras, and yes, they are doing that in Bkk now). What about the drones, road sensors, militarization of local police forces, specialized phone tapping equipment, and "X-ray" technology? What about the "OTM" and crime gangs coming across the southern border?

Do you feel comfortable in that environment?

We looked at these issues and that is why we decided to move OUT of USA.

Your narrative is full of holes, and you are showing your ignorance (or maybe trolling?)

OK, rant off ?

Not rich, but I am comfortable.

I did not move to Thailand expecting to have the same amenities, I moved there because I could, not because I had to. I enjoyed it for a while, accomplished what I went for, and would have left happy sooner than I did, except I met my wife. She made staying bearable.

You seem to fall in that large category of folk who confuse a country's wonderful people, with its crappy government. Now that's real ignorance.

I don't know what people compare here,

To live in a decent place in Bangkok, with a good view, and up to date amenities walking distance to MRT or BTSz is minimum, 40,000 baht a month

if you live for less you live with everything people complain about

unless you're committed vegetarian you eventually crave American and Australian beef, but for less than 25 bucks you can have all you want in the buffets

alcoholic absurd price three times higher than the US

Girls? as cute as can be but it adds up and you ain't getting a decent one for less than a hundred bucks, whether it's wining and dining on the pub or just paying them in a parlor

below comes down to the 911 call.

if you need a cop to be here in 3 to 6 minutes, that isn't going to put his hands in your pockets looking to take your money

but the big difference and where it counts the most is in the ambulance

I can have one at my house in Palm Beach County in less than 5 minutes any day of the week anytime of the day

in Thailand would you get it is a minivan with body bags

He was talking about life outside Reno, Nevada but this is much as how I feel 'bout living in slightly rural Isaan.

From The Misfits (1961) Gay - Clark Gable; Roslyn - Marilyn Monroe

Guido: Have you ever been outside Reno, Ms. Taber?

Roslyn: Once I walked to the edge of town; doesn't look like there's much out there.

Gay: Everything's there!

Roslyn: Like what?

Gay: The country!

Roslyn: Well, what do you do with yourself?

Gay: Just live.

Roslyn: How does anyone "just live"?

Gay: Well, you start by going to sleep. You get up when you feel like it. You scratch yourself. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is; throw stones at a can, whistle.

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here the tennis courts are free, and in good condition.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Are there exceptions? Are there things cheaper in LOS?

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

well said. and very true :)

Thailand means different things to different people, one mans meat is another mans poison as they say, also it very much depends where you live be it in the cool mountains in the northern regions, on the coast in Phuket/ Pattaya or a noisy traffic crazed city like Bangkok,the regions differ greatly,

I have a Thi friend who lives in Loei a beautiful lush green region who would not dream of living anywhere else and absolutely hates Bangkok.So before you ever think of moving and living the rest of your life in Thailand you have to consider your personal lifestyle, are you a party loving beer drinking womanizer ??? Then your going to have a ball living in Pattaya, are you more a country loving person who wishes to live a quiet simple life in the fresh unpolluted air ??? then check out Loei or other northeastern regions or if your not the adventurous type Stay at home in your country its as simple as that :)

And I can have one of those cute as can be Thai girls at my house in Isaan in less than 60 minutes any day of the week anytime of the day. One just has to set one's priorities BTW I live about 15 minutes or so from several large hospitals.

Edited by JLCrab

Huh????

Yeah - I suspect that if one's plan is to find a patch of America (etc) in another country, it's going to be more expensive and not live up to your hopes/expectations. But that shouldn't be the goal of moving "overseas", should it?

Not necessarily... I am one of "those" people that doesn't want to live like a Thai and more or less transplanted my western standard of living to Thailand, although in a much nicer neighborhood and house than I had in the US... Net effect, I'm saving 35% on total outlay for housing, while saving even more on utilities, food, insurance, entertainment and everything else I do on a regular basis... For those that say they "own" their property in the US, miss a couple property tax payments or get setup on a asset forfeiture case with the Plod and you will find out who really owns your a##... My lifestyle hasn't changed that much after moving back to Thailand, while my quality of life is much better and costs far less than in the US...

This is an old debate as none of us are in the same place mentally about where we want to call home... For the most part, those that decide to live outside their home countries are a more adventurous group than those that never leave to explore the world... We can be a restless lot and many are constantly looking for greener grass on the other side of the fence, while becoming jaded with where we currently reside... Thailand can grate on your nerves if you let it, or you can adopt the mai phen rai attitude and just say f##k it, enjoy every day because it might be your last...

What I really don't understand is the argument over why Thailand is better or worse than your home country... It's different, which is part of the attraction... If you don't like it, then so be it, but no need to flog the horse on the way out the door...

I don't disagree with you, but I will add something. There are (at least) three reasons why people choose to move overseas. One is that they are looking for a place where they can live more cheaply. Two, is that they have met a partner in another country at the time they are planning to retire. Three, is that they find a place they really like. [Of course, these are not mutually exclusive]. But I suspect a lot of retirees fall into 'categories' 1 and 2: they're looking for a cheaper place to live and they may have the added 'bonus' of a lady (etc) waiting for them there. These folks are throwing the dice... they will need to either create that 'patch of home' in their new country (not always possible) or they will discover a whole lot of dissatisfaction. And that's why you get a lot of complaining. The fact of the matter is that many people simply are not suited to living overseas...

Cost of living is cheaper here, better quality of life, and:

People smile without hoping for anything other than a smile back;

Haven't heard a single dog bark in three months, let alone been attacked by a pack of them;

No burning of plastic;

No loud music, caterwauling as the moon sets, or unbridled exhaust;

Haven't seen one person pick their nose. Nope, not even the person preparing my food ...

Were there good things about my time in Thailand? Sure, but no where near enough to consider living there any longer, let alone dying there.

My wife is joining me in April. We have a bucket list in the first month that includes:

The Grand Canyon- camping and rafting;

Las Vegas- attending a Cirque de Sol show, and, in the casinos, losing money;

Driving north from San Diego through Malibu, sailing to and about Catalina, then taking Hwy 1 up the coast into Washington State and eventually Victoria, B.C. We'll stop at wineries and cheese farms along the way, detouring for camping in Sequoia National Park, and Redwood National Forest. Then Yosemite and back over to the coast ….

Absolutely no way I would consider wasting another precious day of life in LOS.

Rode my motorcycle all the way from Anchorage to San Diego...every mile on the coast (except for the Alcan!).Stick around BC and Alberta a bit longer...stunning scenery.

Magic...wonderful experience and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Rode then to Vegas via that big Canyon. Then continued to ride all the lower 48's.

Can't see any of this in Thailand.......

and............................................

I imagine there many thing that you can see in Thailand that you wont see in the US.

I don't disagree with you, but I will add something. There are (at least) three reasons why people choose to move overseas. One is that they are looking for a place where they can live more cheaply. Two, is that they have met a partner in another country at the time they are planning to retire. Three, is that they find a place they really like. [Of course, these are not mutually exclusive]. But I suspect a lot of retirees fall into 'categories' 1 and 2: they're looking for a cheaper place to live and they may have the added 'bonus' of a lady (etc) waiting for them there. These folks are throwing the dice... they will need to either create that 'patch of home' in their new country (not always possible) or they will discover a whole lot of dissatisfaction. And that's why you get a lot of complaining. The fact of the matter is that many people simply are not suited to living overseas...

Those 3 reasons are perfectly valid and I think that you can move in and out of all 3. I doubt I would have stayed here were it not for reason 2.

Just to add a reason 4 ..... "discontent with one's home country".

If I was as content as those American boys say they are, I would not have been drawn into reasons 1-3.

After 3 years, mostly in Bangkok, I can still imagine a good long stay in the Thailand I imagined before I got here.

But this version of Thailand?
Nah.
The longer I stay here the more I'll feel like a local.
Locals of my particular political stripe are not appreciated around here at the moment.

Maybe if I could get hooked up with an NGO or school service that was worth staying for.

But not this day to day madness.

Edited by BeforeTigers

Sorry to mix with you guys, I'm not from USA, I'm from Italy. I live in Thailand since 2003, got a Thai wife and three children. Since the day I set my feet in this country I never went back, not one time, not even for holidays... There are many reasons, life is cheaper (than Italy), things work better, believe it or not. Getting a driving license, just to make a point, in Italy is amatter of six months and 2,000 euros, maybe more. Here 200 naht (when i did it) and half a day. Averything depends mostly on what are you doing here. I have a good job, working 5 days a week for a decent salary and good benefits. Not interested on rent a girlfriend or cheap booze, but here, in in Thailand, I was able to realize, so far, all my dreams in terms of job, family and more. I'm well aware that Thailand is not a perfect country, so no other country is perfect, I had my great deal of troubles and stress, but in the end, much less tham in my home country. Perhaps is my life style that just match with this place, I don't know, nut I'll definitely stay here for the foreseeable future.

So you tried it. It wasn't for you. Fair enough.

But why come here day after day to slate the place?

Over the years, I have posted a number of replies, as well as original topics, that have recommended Thailand, and/or praised Thai people.

So I am neither a basher, nor an apologist. I call 'em as I see 'em.

i dont think he is referring to you helicool but to that other piece of bad news that insist on hanging around here like a bad smell rather than participating his so called utopia elsewhere.

Edited by rabid old goat

That's a good point. I too worked hard to get where I am, and my earning potential, and what I am again earning now that I'm back in the States, is quite good. Retirement for me was boring, debilitating even.

But many of those contending Thailand is cheaper, had low earning ability and "retired" to a third world country on a tight pension. I don't criticize that, but it does not mean LOS is cheaper than the States. It means you are giving things up.

And I lived in Chiang Mai. A truly "nice" apartment and all the amenities someone listed, can not be had for 45,000 baht a month. The nice condos cost 25-30k a month alone. Hell, just the Starbucks he claims to drink every day would be costing him 4000 baht a month.

All the guys who say Thailand is cheaper, always focus on the rent.

Well I've never been in the US or had a Starbucks in Europe, but here it is the equvalent of between 3 and 4$.

What is the price of a Starbucks coffee in the US?

I'm sure in Europe you can't have one for the price as in Thailand.

We had coffee in a Starbucks in Bangkok and it was terrible.

Just froth.

I took them back and had them put more coffee in.

They did but were not friendly.

The place was crammed with students using the free Wi-Fi.

They can count on us never going back!

South East Spain, an excellent espresso with milk costs about 40b

The Starbucks price was huge, like eating or drinking at an Airport. Rubbish!

Those who wonders what Im doing still here in TVF, I want to say that reading all this bs happening in Thailand just makes me feel better about my move.

That does explain a lot about why those who've left are still posting on TV....although you seem to have a severe case of "selective reading." But I hope all the malcontents and miserable mugs who are still in Thailand read your Vietnam post and decide to follow you out there. Maybe they'll prefer a Communist country to what we have in the LOS.

And, just exactly what kind of government does Thailand have? You know, the kind that we aren't allowed to accurately describe on here?

My point exactly!

Here in Vietnam people have total freedom of speech, not the case like it is at "land of scams".

I am very sorry that my own personal point of views regarding the differences between Thailand and Vietnam offends some of you so much, as I was merely listing my own reasons for leaving as reply to OP.

Not offended at all. Amused? A little bit...at how hard you're trying to convince yourself that you've made the right decision. Again, I hope the haters will take your words as gospel, pack a bus(s), and head over to the Utopia that is Vietnam. Take them all...PLEASE!

I retired here at age 50 well over 10 years ago. I am the envy of my old friends in the U$A, most of whom will work until they drop dead on the job. Why would I ever want to return?

Been here 17 years since I retired, don't see any reason to make a change - I am certainly better off here than I would be in UK, even if I do have to pay for health care, that is soon going to be the case in UK, where it will cost more.

Well I hope you have insurance because you never know when you really have to pay.

May I add reason 4). Was drunk at the time and thought it was a good idea!

I had a friend staying with me for a week or so near the end of a January before he left to visit his son who worked in Bangkok.

I was drinking Brandy and he was telling me that although he loved Thailand, the journey was terrible.

7 hours by bus or train to Madrid. A mad dash on the last metro to the airport.

Then an overnight wait for the flight to leave at 10:30 the next day.....

I was last in Thailand in 69, last stayed in Penang in 2000 and had long promised myself a visit back to SEA.

Being somewhat drunk, I asked him to see if there was a spare seat on his flight, there was, I booked it. My return was in July, I had no idea about visas etc. Got a visa waiver 30 days on arrival.

I was loaned a copy of Thailand Fever (read it three times), got myself invited to a wedding in Kampheng Phet, met a 50 ish Thai lady

Later I got a 90 day non imm O, then got a one year retirement extension. No visa runs.

Bought a house, got married and have never been happier in my life, mind you, we are both nice and lucky people who take care of each other.

As my pension goes with me, I have provided some land and another house for my wife to use as a source of income after I depart this mortal coil.

As I posted earlier, we enjoy the best of both worlds, a 6 month rotation between Spain and Thailand.

The only real downside is the journey each way and the jet lag.

There are several posters who have decided to leave Thailand for pastures new and they have posted their reasons which are many and varied.

I believe that they post here as part of a personal analysis of the reasons to make their choice and to gain feedback from other members.

The truth is that I leave Thailand every year and I am happy to do so.

I also return to Thailand every year and am happy to do so.

Whilst I would have been happy to see the end of my days in Spain, I'm not sure that is also true for Thailand and the main reason for saying this is that I cannot read Thai at all.

I can only get by with a few Thai words, certainly not able to have an actual meaningful conversation.

Cars are far too expensive and the standard of driving here is a proper put off.

I have a car in Spain and it is a joy to use there but I would not dream of driving here.

Three years ago we were in Karon, and in the driveway of our friends 4,000b/night hotel, shots were fired by a Thai who was in confrontation with someone else. This was at maybe 9 p.m. and we all ran like hell and hid in our more modest hotel across the street until the fight broke up. Somewhat like the "Wild West" of the Cowboy movies?

Something that would be unthinkable in Spain as far as I have experienced in my 15 years there since retirement.

I live 10 Km from the nearest small city, no transport (OK, have a knackered old scooter for local shop trips and a push bike for exercise), no tourists or Farang, no gym, nor other amenities, but my wife's family live nearby and that makes a huge difference.

We are taken on day trips at the weekends, attend weddings, funerals, birthday parties etc.

She is part of a very large family!

I am the only Farang for miles and everyone knows me and we have got used to each other.

The local Barber does a great job when I pop in for a hair cut - alone!

I enjoy the challenge of trying to explain my needs to a shop keeper like buying a new gas bottle or the 20 Ltr water bottles, milk powder, coffee etc.

If I lived here full time, the fun would wear off quite quickly I think!

Then I would probably become like many other posters here, agressive, abusive, unpleasant whining and unhappy individuals who may have lost the plot.

Life is to be lived to the full enjoyment of every moment that you possibly can (without hurting others of course).

If where you find yourself and what you do is not making you happy, consider moving on?

Giving is probably more important than receiving.

Spending a life trying to improve someone else's lot, yields bucketfuls of happiness all round.

There are some on here who might benefit from doing that.

I am now ready for the tirade of BS about Bar girls, lose all money etc. - Go for it - whatever makes you happy.

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

Jeez, thanks for bumming me out.

sad.png

It's too easy to get swallowed up by "Thainess", and one tends to forget the real world...

The primary point I take from your post is, you deal with integrity.

That, I miss the most.

Virtually non-existent here.

Good on ya.

thumbsup.gif

Escaping from Anchorage i don,t blame you. What a hole. Did you meet Sarah ?

Haven't heard a single dog bark in three months, let alone been attacked by a pack of them;

No burning of plastic;

Haven't seen one person pick their nose. Nope, not even the person preparing my food ...

Were there good things about my time in Thailand? Sure, but no where near enough to consider living there any longer, let alone dying there.

My wife is joining me in April. We have a bucket list in the first month that includes:

Driving north from San Diego through Malibu, sailing to and about Catalina, then taking Hwy 1 up the coast into Washington State and eventually Victoria, B.C. We'll stop at wineries and cheese farms along the way, detouring for camping in Sequoia National Park, and Redwood National Forest. Then Yosemite and back over to the coast ….

Rode my motorcycle all the way from Anchorage to San Diego...every mile on the coast (except for the Alcan!).Stick around BC and Alberta a bit longer...stunning scenery.

Rode then to Vegas via that big Canyon. Then continued to ride all the lower 48's.

Did I meet Sarah? Unfortunately not Jim...or should that be fortunately??!!

I actually liked Anchorage. Yes it's a bit raw but that is part of the attraction for me. I hung out with the guys and gals from the dealer who know the place well!

I also happened upon an Inuit bar....that was some experience. I was welcomed with open arms when they found out I was Irish. The cops had a presence outside for most of the two nights I was there!

Huh????

So why do you even bother with this forum at all?

Because he is entitled to.

Or didn't you know?

I was joking about Sarah . She is a nutcase. Alaska is great and very different than the rest of America. having said that i take Thailand over America any day. People whine about the corruption here well in America it is just a different style and makes Thai corruption small potatoes. I did not move half way around the world to hang with other foreigners, eat crap expensive foreign food, hang in girly bars , get drunk 24/7 i came here to experience the Thais. So when foreigners try to compare Thailand to there home country it never works . Guess they forgot where they were the moment they stepped off the plane. Your not in Thailand/Germany Thailand/Sweden your in THAILAND. I except Thailand for what it is as i would Laos , Malaysia, or Iraq. Unless you live in a walled off fortress like the Swedes/Germans do in Ban Huay Yang don,t expect to be in Sweden the moment you step outside your little bubble fantasy world. Spent a afternoon there not long ago to see it for myself and the place gave me the creeps. They need to have their own military air force, army and navy to protect themselves from the savages outside their walls. They walk around with a stick up their butt scowls or the eye bugged out look like every Thai is out to attack. A real freak show !

Escaping from Anchorage i don,t blame you. What a hole. Did you meet Sarah ?

No burning of plastic;

Did I meet Sarah? Unfortunately not Jim...or should that be fortunately??!!

I actually liked Anchorage. Yes it's a bit raw but that is part of the attraction for me. I hung out with the guys and gals from the dealer who know the place well!

I also happened upon an Inuit bar....that was some experience. I was welcomed with open arms when they found out I was Irish. The cops had a presence outside for most of the two nights I was there!

one thing i wont miss about thailand is the constant money issue. it hovers over most interactions either in the form of questions, prices or small daily interactions in a way i dont get in the west.

its everywhere, human nature i guess, but im more immune to it in the west in a way that makes interactions feel more authentic.

also, i dont get the financial prying, what do you do type stuff and the tedious grunge traveler questions about itinerary, we went to phuket blah blah from every one you meet.

(dont see any abuse here in the post, do you?)

HC.... That is a thorough post. My wife joined me for a while when I was working in the USA last year and she pointed out that meats and seafood were cheaper in the markets there than in Thailand. Plus, the seafood tasted better, likely as it was not preserved with nasty stuff. Vegetables and fruits are definitely more expensive in the USA, about 3-4 times what they are in LOS. Most off the shelf items in the grocery stores were cheaper. Medical care is the big hitter in the USA, but if you can avoid that, it is indeed cheaper in the USA these days if you can find inexpensive housing.

Yep. The beef has gone up recently, but the quality is far superior and still cheaper than LOS. Some veggies are cheaper in Thailand, but not much of a variety. Ever buy a spaghetti squash or Brussels Sprouts in LOS?

The key in America is to work hard at that job that pays so well, long enough to be debt free and have your house free and clear. Then stay in good health, and life is far less expensive, with far more variety and benefits, than in SE Asia.

"The key in America is to work hard at that job that pays so well, long enough to be debt free and have your house free and clear. Then stay in good health, and life is far less expensive, with far more variety and benefits, than in SE Asia."

I can understand why you have a signature "bored member."

Work most of your life to buy a house that had it's resale value slashed in half during the last Republican admin and devote yourself to keeping the lawn weed-free and congratulating yourself because you can find Brussels sprouts in the market. Most of what you blathered on about had to do with prices for trivial things. If you planned for your retirement so well, why would you be so worried how much a cheap bottle of wine cost?

One of the reasons things are cheap in Port Charlotte or anywhere else in Florida is that so much property was abandoned and/or repossessed by the banks that lent ridiculous amounts for over-priced property.

If you live in all but a small part of the US you spend much of the year under gray skies and knee deep in snow.

Service repair men and UPS drivers. Expeditiously. Seriously?

I'm sure we've all met your type here or while travelling. You corner unsuspecting people and drone on and on about your possessions, your houses, your road trips and how much of a bargain they were. You give extensive reports on the merits of spaghetti squash or drive everyone up the wall explaining what supplements you take to keep your prostate healthy. Your signature should be "Bored and Boring Member."

If you're happy there, that's nice for you. There are enough whiners and moaners here. You don't need to do it long-distance.

Yet another arm chair psychologist?

Banging on about things you know nothing about.

Do you personally know the menber? I don't think so...so your post is infintile.