Changes At The Chiang Mai Immigration Office

earlofwindermere

I had a non-O visa, however, when I went to the immigration dept in CM they said I can't apply for my DL as they only allow non-OB visa 1 year stay.

Anyone out there had ever get a DL with a non-O 90 days visa or how do I obtain a certificate of residency?

I had a non-O visa, however, when I went to the immigration dept in CM they said I can't apply for my DL as they only allow non-OB visa 1 year stay.

Anyone out there had ever get a DL with a non-O 90 days visa or how do I obtain a certificate of residency?

Try checking with the office that issues DL, last time I was there they gave me a clear list of requirements in English.

Certificate of residency can usually be obtained at your consul or embassy. Seems that immigration is not issuing these anymore, or not easily anyway. Have heard the police station issues them but am not sure.

Yes, I have gotten DL with no-im O, 90 day visa, but not recently so it is probably not relevent to your situation.

Good Luck

I have just got a thai driving license first time. Basicly i had to go with my wife to were they do there thai id cards get a letter from them stating that we are living at the address stated on my wifes house registration, also had to provide marriage certificate, passport, international driving license, wifes house registration document, i think that was about it and also had to do a couple of basic tests, license granted. By the way i am on a non imm o, supporting thai wife, multi entry visa doing 90 days visa runs, i would suggest going down to the place where they actually issue the license and ask them exactly what they want!! :o

Hi!

I also tried to have certificate of residence for car registration but didn't get it from immigration. I have Non-immigrant B visa.

I have to go to Bangkok (they don't send it by mail) and pay 1500 for the paper (and tickets to BKK). Nice.

So getting the residency document is a problem, get it once and use it a long time. I have been using the same one many times since 1998, keeping the original and just showing it when I give out a copy. Nobody has asked to keep the original yet

I find that the cost in time and money to comply with the government requirements here to be quite low compared to western countries but the routes here are not so clear.

Edited by mongoose

So getting the residency document is a problem, get it once and use it a long time. I have been using the same one many times since 1998, keeping the original and just showing it when I give out a copy. Nobody has asked to keep the original yet

I find that the cost in time and money to comply with the government requirements here to be quite low compared to western countries but the routes here are not so clear.

banks only take the original, not copies.

So just to get things straight, if you have your certificate of residence and a non imm 'o' you can now register a car / bike in your own name?

Rather than having to risk trusting others (often near strangers)???

Yes, it's been that way for at least three years, possibly longer. At least around here it has.

Could well be the case now. I have not tried to open an account for a few years. I do recall opening one at TFB about 3-4 years ago with just my passport.

Could well be the case now. I have not tried to open an account for a few years. I do recall opening one at TFB about 3-4 years ago with just my passport.

lucky you. bangkok bank would have asked you for your extended family's passports as well. :D mine was opened 4 years back. i did however get my DL with just the copy for proof of residence. if i applied one year before, i would have gotten non-expiring DL. :o

I have just got a thai driving license first time. Basicly i had to go with my wife to were they do there thai id cards get a letter from them stating that we are living at the address stated on my wifes house registration, also had to provide marriage certificate, passport, international driving license, wifes house registration document, i think that was about it and also had to do a couple of basic tests, license granted. By the way i am on a non imm o, supporting thai wife, multi entry visa doing 90 days visa runs, i would suggest going down to the place where they actually issue the license and ask them exactly what they want!! :o

Sounds about right although when I went for my 5 year pink one it seemd to be easier than the one that i got the year before.

Basically I went to Immigration for my Registration Cert (picture in the Big Book-again ) then picked up a medical cert from the poly clinic next to Tescos to prove that I was still alive and took them with my PP (Noni "0" visa) 1 year old first driving license to the driving office and ....that was it.

They didnt want to see my International/national license or anthything else for that matter...

I only spend a couple of weeks a year in LOS but its all worth it..init..